This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Red Robin

momof2

momof2 Explorer

Recently we visited our local Red Robin restaurant, and asked the server to see if the french fries are fried in a dedicated fryer...after the wierd look she gave us...we explained what we meant, and our purpose for the question. She checked, and said yes! Our 18 month old devoured a basket of fries happily, and we happily ate our dinner.

WELL, 2 weeks later, we returned (for the sole reason, that our daughter can enjoy their fries). So, we asked again, just to make sure. She went in the back, and came out with "they are fried in a dedicated fryer, but sometimes we fry fish and chicken in it". WHAT???? My husband and I both shot each other a look across the table, and gasped... "Oh No!" So, the server offered to steam her fries in the microwave. They were not crispy, but my daughter loved them anyway! Just an idea for those of you who have small ones, who love the fries, and don't quite understand the meaning of "You can't have them honey." My 18 month old freaks out if we are somewhere and someone in our group orders fries! We usually have to order a salad for that reason, or hide the fries from her somehow!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

terri Contributor

Red Robin's seasoning that they use contains both HVP and HPP on its ingredients. When I went there I asked about the french fries too but was given a red flag. All they could give me was a plain burger and a small salad. They were very nice though and the burger wrapped in lettuce was good. Still, I was dissapointed about the french fries too! I have since bought a fry baby and made my own. :rolleyes:

momof2 Explorer

What is HVP and HPP?

I thought that anywhere that uses a seperate fryer would be safe to eat their fries? This is a bummer! What kind of questions would I ask next time, when I want to see if the french fries are gluten free?

terri Contributor

HPP is hyrolized plant protein and HVP is hydrolized vegetable protein. When that is the only ingredient on the bottle, as in Red Robin's seasonings, you don't know if it is from wheat or barley or malt or anything else we can't have. There were a lot of ingredients listed and after reading them I asked if they could make the fries unseasoned but he said the seasoning was already in the oil. You also must ask if the french fries are floured before frying as I have found that to often be the case.

Archived