Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Favorite gluten-free Egg Dishes?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:29 AM

Our chickens have gone into overdrive! We have 6 chickens and they are all laying every day recently. 6 eggs a day is a lot to keep up with. Im running out of ideas on how to use them. Hard boiled? Done it. Baking bread, cakes and cookies? Oh, yes, lots of times. As a hair conditioner? Done that too.

Do you have any TNT dishes you could share that use eggs? Maybe even lots of eggs? I am giving some away, using some and selling some, but I'd love new recipe ideas.

TIA!
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:54 AM

Our chickens have gone into overdrive! We have 6 chickens and they are all laying every day recently. 6 eggs a day is a lot to keep up with. Im running out of ideas on how to use them. Hard boiled? Done it. Baking bread, cakes and cookies? Oh, yes, lots of times. As a hair conditioner? Done that too.

Do you have any TNT dishes you could share that use eggs? Maybe even lots of eggs? I am giving some away, using some and selling some, but I'd love new recipe ideas.

TIA!

I make this breakfast casserole every weekend, i use a lot of eggs because i use a lot of whites:

makes 8 servings with 250calories each:

1 pkg shredded hashbrowns obrien
2 gluten-free chicken sausages (I use the Aidelle's from Costco-any flavor)-remove casings and chop small
7 large eggs
10 large egg whites
1 large tomato thinly sliced
1 cup 2%milk shredded cheddar cheese
Mrs. Dash or other seasonings

Spray 9x13 dish with cooking spray
spread hashbrowns on bottom
distribute sausages evenly over hashbrowns
place tomato slices over sausages
beat eggs and whites together and pour over casserole evenly
sprinkle cheese over
add seasonings

bake 375 for ~60 minutes. Check after 40 to make sure cheese isn't getting too brown, cover with foil if needed. When eggs are set in the middle, it's done!

You can assemble the night before and bake in morning.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#3 Franceen

Franceen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:18 AM

Meringue Pies!!
(I don't have recipe because I've never been successful at meringue - too much grease in my kitchen?). But they use LOTS of egg whites.

LARGE omelettes for king size men for Sunday breakfast.

Large quantity of french vanilla homemade icecream.

That's all I can think of.

Franceen
Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success
Gluten-free since Dec 2005
Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months
No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

#4 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:31 AM

I ended up with about 20 cartons of eggs in my fridge last summer (long story), so I kind of know where you're coming from. :rolleyes:

If you can find some coconut flour, there's a chocolate cake recipe that uses 9 eggs. I think you can find it on Mercola's website. I've made it and it's good (I think I used real sugar instead of stevia, and turned it into chocolate muffins with raspberry jam centers). You could make a few cakes, some muffins, cupcakes etc. using different variations of that same recipe.

You can also make frittatas in muffin tins (mix eggs with your favorite fillings, pour into muffin tins, bake then freeze. Microwave when you want them later).

Eggs mixed with a little hemp milk (or milk of choice) and added to sauteed peppers and onions is quite tasty as a frittata and it uses many eggs if you're feeding a family for dinner. That one's kind of obvious though.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#5 HAK1031

HAK1031

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:32 AM

I have chickens too, and they're doing the same! It's because we have more daylight now.

I love Tortilla Espanola, and its Italian counterpart Frittata (sp?). I don't have an exact recipe, it's kinda something you make up and you go along. But it's like a giant baked omelette that you cut and serve in wedges, like a pie. Sautee a bunch of vegetables of choice (I love spinach, mushroom, sun dried tomato, bell pepper...be creative). Scramble a bunch of eggs (2-3 per person). Mix eggs and vegetables in a baking dish. You can also add cheese if you do dairy. Bake until done (until brownish on top, will take about 1/2 an hour I think, at around 350).
Gluten Free since 10/07
Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme
Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...
DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

#6 NewGFMom

NewGFMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:01 AM

If you've ventured into gluten-free pie crust, I'd make quiche. gluten-free Pie crust is great. It never gets soggy.

Also, angel food cake uses about a dozen eggs and is low in sugar. I know there are gluten-free recipes out there for it. But I haven't tried them.

#7 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

Colleen,

I was going to suggest what has been mentioned here, quiche, frittatas, bread pudding (some recipes call for 8-12 eggs), custards.

I found this link (not gluten-free, would have to be modified), she had the same problem as you and was given many suggestions, might give you some ideas:

http://openforums.ti.../forums/t/9967/

I can vouch for this quiche, someone made it for me and it is very good (you'll need to supply the gluten-free crust :P ):

http://www.foodnetwo...6_31202,00.html

I've made these fritatas many times, substituted with bacon, different cheeses like smoked gouda, veggies like roasted bell peppers, etc, very versatile:

http://www.foodnetwo...6_32633,00.html

#8 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:34 PM

I would say bread pudding, the not-so-great gluten-free breads typically work very well when turned into stuffing or bread pudding or french toast. And any baking with coconut flour is good because it calls for so very many eggs, so that way you get more protein in your baked goods and that's healthier.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#9 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:35 PM

I am so jealous!!! What kind of chickens do you have? I used to have 4 Araucanas and 3 Partiridge Rocks...( I lived out in the country in Nevada for 3 1/2 years)

I miss the eggs. I love them hard boiled. So did all the neighbors! lol

good luck I ended up taking a lot of them to the local foodbank! B)

enjoy!
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#10 Wonka

Wonka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

You could make a quiche. I use 4 eggs to 1 1/2 cups of cream then vary the cheeses and other ingredients (my last one was proscuitto and cotswold cheese). I usually make a potato crust for my quiche (2 large peeled and grated potatoes, salt them for about 10 minutes then wring out in a clean tea towel, add 1 Tbsp of oil and one beaten egg then press into a quiche pan/pie pan. Bake the crust for 45 - 50 minutes remove and add egg mixture with add ins and bake until done). It makes a nice meal and uses 5 eggs in the process.

Edited to add: Make french toast. I use Kinnickinick Tapioca English Muffins they make excellent french toast.

#11 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:05 AM

I ended up with about 20 cartons of eggs in my fridge last summer (long story), so I kind of know where you're coming from. :rolleyes:

Zowie - thatsa lotta eggs! I'll stop whining since we are about 3 dozen ahead, then. :lol:

I have chickens too, and they're doing the same! It's because we have more daylight now.

Yeah, you're right. I was so bummed when we didn't get a single egg November - January (days too short). But they are definitely making up for lost time now.

I am so jealous!!! What kind of chickens do you have? I used to have 4 Araucanas and 3 Partiridge Rocks...( I lived out in the country in Nevada for 3 1/2 years)

We have 2 Dominiques, 2 Australorps, 1 Easter Egger and 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte. We have had them since they were 3 days old. It's hard to imagine what were once a tiny peeping balls of fluff have turned into gynormous egg laying machines! Here is a pic of the girls, and here is a pic of the daily haul. :)

Thanks for all the great recipes! I can't wait to try them.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#12 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:05 PM

We have 2 Dominiques, 2 Australorps, 1 Easter Egger and 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte. We have had them since they were 3 days old. It's hard to imagine what were once a tiny peeping balls of fluff have turned into gynormous egg laying machines! Here is a pic of the girls, and here is a pic of the daily haul. :)

[/quote]

OMG They are gorgeous!!! :) Congrats!!

My Rocks & Araucana The "Chateau le Poulet d'Pupu" roughly translated Chateau of Chicken poopoo lol! :lol:

enjoy your eggs!
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: