Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Two Effects On Sleep

5 posts in this topic

I have noticed that gluten and celiac produce two distinct sleep disorders for me. In one case, I cannot stay awake, and in the second situation, I cannot stay asleep. Here is what I have noticed:

First, I notice that when I get a gluten challenge that I get extremely sleepy. If the gluten challenge comes at lunch or dinner, I find that by 8:00 PM I can barely keep my eyes open. Come to think of it, this reaction was the one that made my doctor think that I had celiac disease in the first place. I had described to him that after a good night

Ads by Google:

You sleep problems were exactly the same ones that I had prior to going gluten-free. since then I have done pretty good sleep wise. I will have to try your advice on the food additives to see if that makes any more of a difference.

Ian

I was looking for a place to post a comment on the sleep thing when I came across this one. I accidentally got into some gluten yesterday...just a tiny amount obviously since it did not trigger any true allergic reactions like it often does. I then went to my son's baseball practice and sat around for a couple of hours, went and picked up a few items at Walmart, and have slept since. I am so exhausted that I manage to get up to go to the bathroom and take my meds then go back to sleep again. I sure hope it levels out by Monday since we homeschool and I have to have it together.

I also cycle through periods where I am up all night long and sleep only in short couple of hour sets. There have been a lot of them since the doc put me on fibers, etc. for my cholesterol. Since I cannot take any of the other meds for it, I suppose I will have to suffer through. The only good thing about it is that I get more done in the middle of the night when no one is hollering "Mom!".

so alex <_< do you make your own breads--this is very interesting to me--i havent been sleeping well and i to am very wide awake around 3 am--what do you eat--i have been gluten-free for almost 4 yrs and i still am learning :huh: thanks, deb

Don't know if Alex makes his own bread, but we do at our house. I even mill my own grains and mix the flours up once a week. There are several good posts about making breads in machines and I gave detailed info on milling your own grains in a current post about lowering grocery bills.