Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Two Effects On Sleep

5 posts in this topic

I have noticed that gluten and celiac produce two distinct sleep disorders for me. In one case, I cannot stay awake, and in the second situation, I cannot stay asleep. Here is what I have noticed:

First, I notice that when I get a gluten challenge that I get extremely sleepy. If the gluten challenge comes at lunch or dinner, I find that by 8:00 PM I can barely keep my eyes open. Come to think of it, this reaction was the one that made my doctor think that I had celiac disease in the first place. I had described to him that after a good night

Ads by Google:

You sleep problems were exactly the same ones that I had prior to going gluten-free. since then I have done pretty good sleep wise. I will have to try your advice on the food additives to see if that makes any more of a difference.

Ian

I was looking for a place to post a comment on the sleep thing when I came across this one. I accidentally got into some gluten yesterday...just a tiny amount obviously since it did not trigger any true allergic reactions like it often does. I then went to my son's baseball practice and sat around for a couple of hours, went and picked up a few items at Walmart, and have slept since. I am so exhausted that I manage to get up to go to the bathroom and take my meds then go back to sleep again. I sure hope it levels out by Monday since we homeschool and I have to have it together.

I also cycle through periods where I am up all night long and sleep only in short couple of hour sets. There have been a lot of them since the doc put me on fibers, etc. for my cholesterol. Since I cannot take any of the other meds for it, I suppose I will have to suffer through. The only good thing about it is that I get more done in the middle of the night when no one is hollering "Mom!".

so alex <_< do you make your own breads--this is very interesting to me--i havent been sleeping well and i to am very wide awake around 3 am--what do you eat--i have been gluten-free for almost 4 yrs and i still am learning :huh: thanks, deb

Don't know if Alex makes his own bread, but we do at our house. I even mill my own grains and mix the flours up once a week. There are several good posts about making breads in machines and I gave detailed info on milling your own grains in a current post about lowering grocery bills.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• puffiness in face
      The puffiness in my face went down a lot after I went gluten free. Old photos shock me sometimes now! Your doctor should be able to test you for food intolerance? Here in UK I did tests for wheat, nut, mustard etc. You can do a blood test and there's also skin prick tests I think, am sure others here would know more.  Good luck    
    • glutened by lays potato chips?
      Here in the UK I can't eat Lay's owned Walkers crisps as even the ones without gluten ingredients can cause a reaction. I read it was something to do with their production processes. Looks like others have same problems too:  
    • Newly diagnosed and totally overwhelmed
      Don't apologise! Not needed here at least where people know exactly what you're going through. As Cyclinglady says, you're now in a grieving process for the former, carefree attitude to food you've now lost. You may find this helpful in understanding the psychological journey you're on: http://psychcentral.com/lib/the-5-stages-of-loss-and-grief/ It WILL get better. Eating cleanly is very good advice as you heal but you can then find the replacement snacks and treats that are safe to eat.  I now know which chocolate bars are ok, which brands of crisps (chips) are safe etc.  I don't drink now, but I did find there were some fantastic ciders that I could tolerate and you've always got wine! In fact one of the weirder discoveries post gluten was that my past (vicious) hangovers were far more about gluten reactions than the alcohol itself. A cider hangover is a breeze in comparison All the best!  
    • glutened by lays potato chips?
      I ate some baked lays last night and felt very sick all night and haven't been feeling great all day today. Other than that I didn't eat anything different from what I normally eat and there was no risk of cross contamination with anything.. These were the only thing I had that was different. They're labeled gluten free so I figured it would be okay, but I started feeling sick pretty soon after eating them. I'm not sure if it's another ingredient in them or what (and i know it's not the soy).. Has anyone else had a reaction to lays potato chips?
    • Symptoms In Toddlers?
      Welcome Ashley! Here are the current tests.  The DGP versions seem to work a bit better than the TTG in small children.  So, ask for the complete panel (and get it all in one stick....my 15 year still hates to get blood drawn ! http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/ Your doctors are wrong!  They must be reading old medical text books.  Not all kids or people have failure to thrive!  You can even be symptom free!. I was anemic and had no intestinal issues when I was diagnosed.  celiac disease affects everyone differently and that's probably why so many folks are not diagnosed. Your kids (parents, siblings too) should be tested every few years (sooner if symptoms develop) per all the leading celiac researchers/doctors if a first-degree relative has celiac disease (like you!)  celiac disease can develop at any age! Hope this helps!   
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Acomys