This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pizza Pizza Toronto

daisey

daisey Newbie

Wow, I just found out that Pizza Pizza in Toronto has gluten free, egg free crust, for $3.25 extra for a medium.

Can't wait to try it

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Of course you must realize that cc is a very high possibility in a place like that, right? Because how do you guarantee that wheat flour that is in the air won't have settled on the gluten-free pizza, or that the person preparing it has washed his/her hands in between making gluten pizza and your pizza?

I understand that you are excited, but it may not be safe. Why don't you talk to a manager before you go there to eat to see how they handle keeping that pizza gluten-free without cc?

• 5 weeks later...
mom-to-claire Apprentice

Have you tried the pizza yet??? I sent an email to them asking about their procedures to avoid CC and am now willing to try it but haven't had the opportunity yet. We live north of Toronto and our local Pizza Pizza isn't part of the pilot.

Lisa B Rookie

I posted on this a few weeks ago. The pizza crust is pre-formed which they keep in cold storage and the time that it is exposed to 'floury air' is minimal. I watch every step of my order - something I can't do in a regular restaurant so have more control over identifying cross contamination than anywhere else. I observed lots of handwashing, there was a dedicated wooden pizza shovel to get it in and the metal 'pizza shovel to get it out was cleaned first as was the pizza cutter.

Pizza Pizza has worked with the Canadian Celiac Assoc to bring out this product.

In four visits, no reactions. I hope they keep it.

Lisa

RosR Newbie

Here is my experience: I went to the location at Queen/Lisgar in Toronto, as they were listed as having gluten-free crusts. However, when I went in, they told me that they do not carry the gluten-free crusts. They told me that people did not want to pay extra and the store didn't want carry them any more. I don't know if this is the real reason, but that is what they told me.

I called the main telephone number of Pizza Pizza to see if I could order it from another location, but since that location was the "designated" delivery location for my area, I would have to go in person to pick up a pizza from anywhere else. I will have to check out the other closest locations to see if they offer it or not, as the listing on the website is clearly inaccurate.

Anyone else have any luck?

Annaem Enthusiast

how about the toppings aren't they touched by floury hands??? Sounds promising. I posted the locations just the other day....

• 1 month later...
torontosue Rookie

I just had this.....I figured I had to try it at least one time and hopefully will have no reactions.

The girl on the phone was very reassuring about cross-contamination however I have no idea how it would be handled at each location.

They told me it is now standard at ALL Ontario locations, so you might want to try again if your local delivery location wasn't carrying it.

Anyway, they were helpful about what toppings I shouldn't order .... and it was pretty good taste wise as well.....my non-celiac kid took a bite (before eating his regular pizza) and said it was ok, but you definitely could taste it wasn't a 'real' crust ...LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Today's Toronto Sun has an article about this. In the print edition it is on page 46. The article talks about celiac disease as well.

Open Original Shared Link

:)

• 2 weeks later...
brittanny Newbie

i tried the gluten free pizza last month when i was in toronto for a concert. it was such a nice treat i loved it! after eating it i started thinking about cross contamination haha, i dont think id trust them again for it, even though i didnt get sick

rpf1007 Rookie

I was back home in Toronto last week and tried it- it was pretty good! They put the crust on a separate pan to cook it. The only thing is that I don't think they used separate slicers- so be careful about that. I didn't have any issue with it. It was nice to have "real" pizza with the rest of my family.

Archived