Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Shopping Anywhere But Wegmans & Whole Foods Frustration!

• Please log in to reply

17 replies to this topic

#1 FlourShopGirl

FlourShopGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

Every time I go to the some place other than Wegman's who lablels their foods great or Whole Foods who has a gluten-free section two things happen. I get lost and frustrated. I feel like I can barely eat anything that isn't labeled. I am sure it's because I am a newbie. Giant around me is lame, nothing really gluten-free labeled. I also need to educate myself better- right now I basically only eat something if it's says gluten-free on the package but what exact things besides the obvious wheat do I need to avoid??

What are some quick snacks you get at the grocery store? I saw tonight Fruity Pebbles were ok, I was so happy. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:17 PM

carrots and hummus.
apples and peanut butter.
eggs on corn tortillas.

I generally stick to things that are naturally gluten free, and it's a lot easier.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:05 AM

Every time I go to the some place other than Wegman's who lablels their foods great or Whole Foods who has a gluten-free section two things happen. I get lost and frustrated. I feel like I can barely eat anything that isn't labeled. I am sure it's because I am a newbie. Giant around me is lame, nothing really gluten-free labeled. I also need to educate myself better- right now I basically only eat something if it's says gluten-free on the package but what exact things besides the obvious wheat do I need to avoid??

What are some quick snacks you get at the grocery store? I saw tonight Fruity Pebbles were ok, I was so happy. :)

I don't have a Whole Foods close...its a good hour and 1/2 drive. I shop at Wegmans all the time, and even though it is a 20 minute drive, I would go the distance before going to any of the stores around me....they just do not help me at all. I have 3 Giants in a 10 minute distance and they are coming up in the world and getting gluten-free products but the selection is limited and is pricier. I understand your pain though!
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#4 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:09 AM

I agree. I try to stick to a lot of fresh fruits for snacks, and when I want a cracker or something, I'll browse the Asian section of the grocery store. I think it's Thai Kitchen (I think) that makes a rice cracker in regular and cheese flavors, but it says gluten-free on the back. It's kind of in small writing, but it's most definitely there.

But, the more processing is involved, the greater the risk of contamination. So, the naturally gluten-free foods in their freshest forms is the easiest route to go.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#5 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:40 AM

I also like Thai kitchen products- not all of them are gluten-free, but the ones that are, are labeled on the back. I eat a lot of their soup bowls for lunches.

Wal-mart also labels their Great Value brand products, if they are gluten-free. A lot of their sandwich meat is labeled gluten-free. It's not the most gourmet sandwich meat, but it's not bad and I know it's safe (check each one.) Their new spaghetti sauce is gluten-free, and it's surprising really great. Our Wal-mart also carries Gluten Free Pantry brownie mix (my favorite brownies) and muffin mix cheaper than Whole Foods.

Utz brand chips are labeled gluten-free if they are (and most of them are.)

Lipton Onion Soup mix is gluten-free, and I mix it with a carton of sour cream for chip dip.

For cereal, we get Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, and Trix. We also get Envirokids Gorilla Munch, and Whole Foods 365 brand Cocoa Comets. (I also loooove Erehwon Brown Rice cereal with Berries.)

Classico pasta sauces are safe. Many other brands have many safe options, and most list the safe ones in the FAQ on their websites; look up Hunts, Del Monte, Ragu, etc, to find the safe varieties.

One of my favorite snacks is a string cheese (mozzarella cheese stick) wrapped in a slice of deli ham. I also like peanut butter on carrots... Cream cheese on celery... My kids like raisins, sunflower seeds, gluten-free pretzels. Sometimes I'll mix those with a handful of chocolate chips and peanuts for a homemade trail mix.

For a treat, I make these super quick, cheap, and heavenly cookies:
1 c. peanut butter
1 c. brown sugar (or white if you prefer)
1 egg

Mix well, form into 1 inch balls. Bake on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes. I often then press a Hershey's Kiss or a few chocolate chips in the center, as soon as I pull them out of the oven.
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#6 itchygirl

itchygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:05 AM

I like unnatural, greasy food :lol:Hormel corned beef hash and eggs. Sliced turkey, avacado and bacon. Big piles of Delimex beef Taquitos with sour cream. Hormel pepperoni...with, uh, more pepperoni. ;)
I don't eat gluten and neither do my cats

#7 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:07 AM

I shop Walmart to get my cereals...Dora Stars or Winnie the Pooh, other stores around me dont seem to carry them. I love the Winnie the Pooh crunch. At Wallie world I pay 1.50 for a box

Posted Image

#8 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:16 AM

I like unnatural, greasy food :lol:Hormel corned beef hash and eggs. Sliced turkey, avacado and bacon. Big piles of Delimex beef Taquitos with sour cream. Hormel pepperoni...with, uh, more pepperoni. ;)

:lol: :lol:

Oooh yeah, how could I forget pepperoni!? Yum. I like pepperoni and sharp cheddar cheese. Or pepperoni and colby jack. Or pepperoni and pepperoni! lol
-Sarah

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

#9 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:21 AM

:lol: :lol:

Oooh yeah, how could I forget pepperoni!? Yum. I like pepperoni and sharp cheddar cheese. Or pepperoni and colby jack. Or pepperoni and pepperoni! lol

I had pepperoni and sharp cheese as a snack last night...Yum!

Posted Image

#10 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:31 AM

PS- there's some really good info and links on shopping and labels on this thread: http://www.glutenfre...s...c=44579&hl=
-Sarah

#11 Panopticism

Panopticism

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:53 AM

A lot of Thai Kitchen products have Casein in them, though. Just a heads up to anyone Gluten-free Casein-free. It's listed as sodium caseinate.

#12 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:32 AM

I think it's great when stores label their product with gluten-free signs. But when that happens, we run the risk of falling into one of these scenarios:

1 - We miss out on a lot of other products that are gluten-free, but not marketed as such
2 - We are subject to the wrong things being labeled gluten-free. ie. things getting moved around on the shelf, human error, etc.

Here are some links I believe may be of use to you. These are gluten-free friendly manufacturers who either label their products if they are gluten-free or declare all gluten ingredients (not just wheat)

General Mills
Kraft Foods
Hormel
Unilever
GlutenFreeIndy - another list of lots of companies that do not hide gluten

If you learn what brands have good labeling practices, you have so many more options. You can walk into any store and read labels with confidence and not have to rely on the store putting signs on things.

Here is a link to a flyer put out by the GIG of 50+ easy things to find/fix on the gluten-free diet.

I hope this is helpful.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#13 Phyllis28

Phyllis28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:39 AM

Look for Mission Soft corn tortillas and tortilla chips. I am not sure if they are available in your area though.
Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

#14 gluten15

gluten15

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:18 AM

For a quick grab, meal or snack..I am so into the Humm Foods Larabars big time.

Speaking of Delimex beef Taquitos..I must be blind. I used to love these things..well..still do..but trying to be good on the elimination diet..but wanted to keep something around that I could have if I really needed a fix. I must be reading labels wrong. Is is just these one's that are ok?

#15 Linda/Hawaii

Linda/Hawaii

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

One of the best things Iíve found is Vans Gluten free Waffles. Just toast them well, top with pizza sauce and cheese and stick under the broiler. They also make great open face sandwiches like tuna melt, etc. Try instead of a bun for hamburger, chicken sandwich, or a breakfast sausage and egg sandwich. Also quick and easy with peanut butter. I buy them at the health food store but our Safeway carries them also. Iíve dipped them in gluten free pancake batter with apples and cinnamon and fried them. Yum!! The pancake batter is terrific by the way, spiced up with paprika, pepper, salt and cayenne for frying chicken or fish. I dip it in egg first.

I canít remember the brand but our health food store carries Gluten Free wraps. You can defrost one at a time, which is great.

We just bought the first gluten free oats by Bobís Red Mill. Very thankful for it!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: