Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Shopping Anywhere But Wegmans & Whole Foods Frustration!

18 posts in this topic

Every time I go to the some place other than Wegman's who lablels their foods great or Whole Foods who has a gluten-free section two things happen. I get lost and frustrated. I feel like I can barely eat anything that isn't labeled. I am sure it's because I am a newbie. Giant around me is lame, nothing really gluten-free labeled. I also need to educate myself better- right now I basically only eat something if it's says gluten-free on the package but what exact things besides the obvious wheat do I need to avoid??

What are some quick snacks you get at the grocery store? I saw tonight Fruity Pebbles were ok, I was so happy. :)

Ads by Google:

carrots and hummus.

apples and peanut butter.

eggs on corn tortillas.

I generally stick to things that are naturally gluten free, and it's a lot easier.

Every time I go to the some place other than Wegman's who lablels their foods great or Whole Foods who has a gluten-free section two things happen. I get lost and frustrated. I feel like I can barely eat anything that isn't labeled. I am sure it's because I am a newbie. Giant around me is lame, nothing really gluten-free labeled. I also need to educate myself better- right now I basically only eat something if it's says gluten-free on the package but what exact things besides the obvious wheat do I need to avoid??

What are some quick snacks you get at the grocery store? I saw tonight Fruity Pebbles were ok, I was so happy. :)

I don't have a Whole Foods close...its a good hour and 1/2 drive. I shop at Wegmans all the time, and even though it is a 20 minute drive, I would go the distance before going to any of the stores around me....they just do not help me at all. I have 3 Giants in a 10 minute distance and they are coming up in the world and getting gluten-free products but the selection is limited and is pricier. I understand your pain though!

I agree. I try to stick to a lot of fresh fruits for snacks, and when I want a cracker or something, I'll browse the Asian section of the grocery store. I think it's Thai Kitchen (I think) that makes a rice cracker in regular and cheese flavors, but it says gluten-free on the back. It's kind of in small writing, but it's most definitely there.

But, the more processing is involved, the greater the risk of contamination. So, the naturally gluten-free foods in their freshest forms is the easiest route to go.

I also like Thai kitchen products- not all of them are gluten-free, but the ones that are, are labeled on the back. I eat a lot of their soup bowls for lunches.

Wal-mart also labels their Great Value brand products, if they are gluten-free. A lot of their sandwich meat is labeled gluten-free. It's not the most gourmet sandwich meat, but it's not bad and I know it's safe (check each one.) Their new spaghetti sauce is gluten-free, and it's surprising really great. Our Wal-mart also carries Gluten Free Pantry brownie mix (my favorite brownies) and muffin mix cheaper than Whole Foods.

Utz brand chips are labeled gluten-free if they are (and most of them are.)

Lipton Onion Soup mix is gluten-free, and I mix it with a carton of sour cream for chip dip.

For cereal, we get Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, and Trix. We also get Envirokids Gorilla Munch, and Whole Foods 365 brand Cocoa Comets. (I also loooove Erehwon Brown Rice cereal with Berries.)

Classico pasta sauces are safe. Many other brands have many safe options, and most list the safe ones in the FAQ on their websites; look up Hunts, Del Monte, Ragu, etc, to find the safe varieties.

One of my favorite snacks is a string cheese (mozzarella cheese stick) wrapped in a slice of deli ham. I also like peanut butter on carrots... Cream cheese on celery... My kids like raisins, sunflower seeds, gluten-free pretzels. Sometimes I'll mix those with a handful of chocolate chips and peanuts for a homemade trail mix.

For a treat, I make these super quick, cheap, and heavenly cookies:

1 c. peanut butter

1 c. brown sugar (or white if you prefer)

1 egg

Mix well, form into 1 inch balls. Bake on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes. I often then press a Hershey's Kiss or a few chocolate chips in the center, as soon as I pull them out of the oven.

I like unnatural, greasy food :lol:Hormel corned beef hash and eggs. Sliced turkey, avacado and bacon. Big piles of Delimex beef Taquitos with sour cream. Hormel pepperoni...with, uh, more pepperoni. ;)

I shop Walmart to get my cereals...Dora Stars or Winnie the Pooh, other stores around me dont seem to carry them. I love the Winnie the Pooh crunch. At Wallie world I pay 1.50 for a box

I like unnatural, greasy food :lol:Hormel corned beef hash and eggs. Sliced turkey, avacado and bacon. Big piles of Delimex beef Taquitos with sour cream. Hormel pepperoni...with, uh, more pepperoni. ;)

:lol: :lol:

Oooh yeah, how could I forget pepperoni!? Yum. I like pepperoni and sharp cheddar cheese. Or pepperoni and colby jack. Or pepperoni and pepperoni! lol

:lol: :lol:

Oooh yeah, how could I forget pepperoni!? Yum. I like pepperoni and sharp cheddar cheese. Or pepperoni and colby jack. Or pepperoni and pepperoni! lol

I had pepperoni and sharp cheese as a snack last night...Yum!

PS- there's some really good info and links on shopping and labels on this thread: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...c=44579&hl=

A lot of Thai Kitchen products have Casein in them, though. Just a heads up to anyone Gluten-free Casein-free. It's listed as sodium caseinate.

I think it's great when stores label their product with gluten-free signs. But when that happens, we run the risk of falling into one of these scenarios:

1 - We miss out on a lot of other products that are gluten-free, but not marketed as such

2 - We are subject to the wrong things being labeled gluten-free. ie. things getting moved around on the shelf, human error, etc.

Here are some links I believe may be of use to you. These are gluten-free friendly manufacturers who either label their products if they are gluten-free or declare all gluten ingredients (not just wheat)

General Mills

Kraft Foods

Hormel

Unilever

GlutenFreeIndy - another list of lots of companies that do not hide gluten

If you learn what brands have good labeling practices, you have so many more options. You can walk into any store and read labels with confidence and not have to rely on the store putting signs on things.

Here is a link to a flyer put out by the GIG of 50+ easy things to find/fix on the gluten-free diet.

I hope this is helpful.

Look for Mission Soft corn tortillas and tortilla chips. I am not sure if they are available in your area though.

For a quick grab, meal or snack..I am so into the Humm Foods Larabars big time.

Speaking of Delimex beef Taquitos..I must be blind. I used to love these things..well..still do..but trying to be good on the elimination diet..but wanted to keep something around that I could have if I really needed a fix. I must be reading labels wrong. Is is just these one's that are ok?

For a quick grab, meal or snack..I am so into the Humm Foods Larabars big time.

Speaking of Delimex beef Taquitos..I must be blind. I used to love these things..well..still do..but trying to be good on the elimination diet..but wanted to keep something around that I could have if I really needed a fix. I must be reading labels wrong. Is is just these one's that are ok?

The beef and the three cheese. And I think some they don't sell here-the delimex website is very helpful

http://www.arianainteractive.com/delimex/faqc.htm

Are your products free of wheat gluten? The following products are free of wheat gluten:

Beef Taquitos, Chicken Taquitos, 3-Cheese Taquitos, Pepperoni Pizza Taquitos, and all our

Tamales.

I like to make granola. Make up your own favorite mix, mine is...

1 cup each of.....

Gluten-free puffed brown rice cereal

Gluten-free oats

unsweetened coconut

1/2 cup each of.....

macadamia nuts

pecans

walnuts

almonds

mixed raisins (flame, golden, etc.)

dried cherries or blueberries or cranberries

1/4 cup each of.....

sesame seeds

sunflower seeds

flax seeds

First I toast the ingredients (except for the fruits) in the oven just until crisp and golden then mix everything together in a big bowl and drizzle with 1 cup of either agave nectar, honey or brown rice syrup and spread out on a baking pan to cool before cutting into bars. (Sometimes they stick together enough to be called 'bars' sometimes they're just a handfull type snack. It's great either way.)

That one link brought up a point of saying wheat-free wasn't always gluten-free. Scary because I have bought just products saying wheat-free.

The labels confuse me though. What exact things should I be looking for? I think I read MSG can have it too?