10 replies to this topic

#1 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 07:31 AM

It occurred to me that an organization might sell a fund-raising button or pin that we could wear in the market to ferret out other Celiacs and generally raise awareness. Something like "Support Celiac Disease Research" or something catchier.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 07:38 AM

They do exist. They are a small green ribbon pin (like the yellow "support the troops) . They cost $5 a pin. They are put out by the University of Chicago Hospital and Northeast Ohio Celiac Support Group. I had inquired about them back in May, so not sure if they still have a supply or not, I am sure you could contact them to find out. Here is the info that I got back in May.

Jessica,

We created the celiac disease awareness pin with the Northeast Ohio Celiac Support Group to raise awareness. All proceeds of pins purchased from us will go to support the mission of our organization, which is to raise diagnosis rates for celiac disease in the US through professional and patient education.

Anyone interested in a pin should send a check to:

University of Chicago Celiac Disease Program

5839 S. Maryland Avenue, MC4065, Room C-491

Chicago, IL. 60637

For $5/ per pin plus $.60 postage for an order of 1-10 pins (more than 10, postage is $1.00)

Thanks!
Michelle

mmelinro@peds.bsd.uchicago.edu

Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:29 AM

Shirts and tote bags here: http://www.silly-yak.com/home.htm

richard

#4 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:15 PM

My Mother bought me a "Wheat Sucks" shirt which I sometimes wear. My Aunt and Grandmother alos bought (different) Celaic shirts which they wear often.

#5 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:33 PM

My Mother bought me a "Wheat Sucks" shirt which I sometimes wear. My Aunt and Grandmother alos bought (different) Celaic shirts which they wear often.

LOL :lol:

#6 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 09:18 PM

I forgot about this one.......... it is called Angelic Grooves. http://angelicgrooves.com/ The lady creates bracelets, necklaces, and keychains out of crystals and beads. 20% of the profits go to Celiac Research. The bracelet runs 35$, necklace is 37$, and keychain is 10.99.

This is what the website says :

Celiac Disease Awareness

Celiac disease , also known as gluten intolerance, is a genetic disorder that affects 1 in 133 Americans. Symptoms of celiac disease can range from the classic features, such as diarrhea, weight loss, and malnutrition, to latent symptoms such as isolated nutrient deficiencies but no gastrointestinal symptoms. Those affected suffer damage to the villi (shortening and villous flattening) of the intestines, when they eat specific food-grain antigens, (toxic amino acid sequences) that are found in wheat, rye, and barley. Oats have traditionally been considered to be toxic to people suffering from Celiac Disease but recent scientific studies have shown otherwise.

Both of my daughters, Halle,(6) and McKenze (3) have Celiac Disease.  Now I have been tested also and have confirmed that I have it.  For this reason I have made the Celiac Disease Awareness jewelry (green catseye with peridot Swarvoski Crystals that represent the celiac color) with an awareness ribbon for Celiac Disease. I have chosen a few fundraisers to donate 20% of profits for Celiac Disease.

20% will go to the University of Maryland Center of Celiac Research       

Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#7 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:27 PM

Wow, I am loking at her stuff right now!

#8 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:27 PM

The lady creates bracelets, necklaces, and keychains out of crystals and beads. 20% of the profits go to Celiac Research.

I think that's a great idea!
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#9 Sada

Sada

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:43 PM

[COLOR=blue] Hi I am new to this board... I have been navigating around today and saw this and thought I should post! I ordered some and it is beautiful! I ordered last June and hardly take it off!!! I get so many compliments on my bracelet and it is really great to raise awareness. I just ordered again for my family and saw they are having a 15 % off the bracelets until the middle of Feburary. Just thought I would pass that around. Look forward to meeting everyone!

Sada

#10 Sada

Sada

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:49 PM

Edit: OOOPS I messed up and did 2 posts thinking I didn't get the other post done. SORRY! :) New and learning about this! :)

Hi!

I am new here to this board and just thought I would post here!

I love her jewelry. I have had my bracelet since June and wear it all the time! It is beautiul and helps raise awareness! I have compliments on it daily. I just put in another order for my family to have one. The bracelets are 15% off right now until the middle of Feb. Just thought I would post this information!!! :)

I look forward to meeting everyone here.

Sada

#11 Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*

Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:49 PM

LOL! Wheat sucks! That is fantastic! Hopefully I can make it an LJ icon. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: