4 replies to this topic

#1 Gluten=bad

Gluten=bad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:28 AM

Hi all, last night I made some fried cube steak along with rice and gravy. All gluten-free! I made a mixture of Bob's Red Mill all purpose gluten-free flour, salt, pepper, and some seasoned salt. After dipping the cube steak in this mixture, I fried them up and they were delicious! I also made some gravy using the same flour, milk, salt, pepper, and a little left over grease from where the steak cooked. The rest of my gluten eating family liked it too.
Stepmomof 2
Married for 5 years
Dx with PCOS February '07
Dx with Celicac disease February '08
Gluten-free since 02-24-08

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 larry mac

larry mac

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

Very nice. I congratulate you. I haven't had chicken fried steak in well over a year.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:36 PM

I haven't had cube steak, is it tender? I know it's cheaper. MMmmmmm, chicken fried steak...........
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 Gluten=bad

Gluten=bad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:01 AM

I haven't had cube steak, is it tender? I know it's cheaper. MMmmmmm, chicken fried steak...........

Yes, it was tender and delicious! :D
Stepmomof 2
Married for 5 years
Dx with PCOS February '07
Dx with Celicac disease February '08
Gluten-free since 02-24-08

#5 BIZABET

BIZABET

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:00 AM

We've had good luck 'breading' our chicken (don't fry much beef) with equal parts cornstarch and white bean flour, and then using the same pan to make gravy. I can't give you an exact recipe, since we've never used one. Here's the way I do it.

I mix the starch and bean flour with salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I add some paprika, tumeric, and parsley. Again to taste. Roll the chicken and fry in either butter (yep, real butter) or a blend of butter and vegetable oil. REmove chicken. Add more butter--anywhere from 1/2 to a whole stick depending on the amount of gravy you want. Now use more of the flour mixture. Brown it in the pan on med high mashing and stiring continuously with a flat spatula. A good smooth cast iron skillet, or one of those nonstick ones with the little honey comb pattern in the bottom works best. Have your stock ready--we usually use Swanson's low sodium with no msg if we use a meat that didn't make it's own juices. As soon as the flour mixture reaches a rich brown, start pouring in the stock, as fast as you can while still mixing up the flour butter rue. This is, shall we say, an inexact science. THe first wheat gravy I ever made was slicable. The first gluten free grave I attempted could have been used as a foundation cornerstone. If you get it too thin, you can thicken with a little more plain cornstarch. too thick, use more stock or water. Lumps--either pour thru a strainer, or toss it in the blender and give it a whirl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: