This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce

Joni63

Joni63 Collaborator

Hello,

I haven't been worrying about dilstilled vinegar because I read it is rarely derived from wheat. I called Hunt's yesterday and they informed me that the distilled vinegar they use in their sloppy joe sauce is either derived from corn or wheat. I also read that the proteins that cause Celiac's to react are removed in the distillation process.

What is a Celiac to do???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Some of us will be fine with this, others like myself would not be. Do you react to grain alcohols? If you do you will be more likely to have a reaction. Sensitivity to gluten grained vinagers and alcohols vary greatly amongst us. I wish I had a conclusive answer for you other than to challenge it when you are eating nothing else risky and see if you react.

trcn Apprentice

Ugh... one of the few pleasures I can enjoy with my kids. We eat sloppy joes with Tostitos Scoops and Kraft Shredded Cheddar Cheese.

I'll be testing this one, but almost think it's not worth it to chance it...

Thanks for the info.

Tracy

Lisa Mentor

Manwich is a ConAgra Product and their policy is to always list ALL forms of gluten (ie. wheat, barley, malt or rye) Here is some contact #'s. If gluten is not listed, it will not be in the hidden form.

In addition, if wheat is used as a source in an ingredient, it by US FDA Labeling Laws, is required to be listed on the ingredients listing. The distilling process is said to remove the offending wheat protein, but as Raven said, some people may react. Manwich is considered to be gluten free.

http://conagrafoods.com/utilities/customer_service.jsp

Joni63 Collaborator
Some of us will be fine with this, others like myself would not be. Do you react to grain alcohols? If you do you will be more likely to have a reaction. Sensitivity to gluten grained vinagers and alcohols vary greatly amongst us. I wish I had a conclusive answer for you other than to challenge it when you are eating nothing else risky and see if you react.

I doubt I would react. My case is tough, I either don't react to minimal amounts of gluten or don't recognize my symptoms. Other times I can definately tell, but my symptoms have varied so much from glutening to glutening.

Manwich is a ConAgra Product and their policy is to always list ALL forms of gluten (ie. wheat, barley, malt or rye) Here is some contact #'s. If gluten is not listed, it will not be in the hidden form.

In addition, if wheat is used as a source in an ingredient, it by US FDA Labeling Laws, is required to be listed on the ingredients listing. The distilling process is said to remove the offending wheat protein, but as Raven said, some people may react. Manwich is considered to be gluten free.

http://conagrafoods.com/utilities/customer_service.jsp

That is exactly what they told me and the representative was super nice and went out of her way to tell me about the vinegar. I didn't realize that some people react, that is very scary to me.

So, what is the consensus?

Are people who react having damage done to their intestines?

or

Are they super sensitive because they have a wheat allergy in addition to Celiac?

Lisa Mentor
I doubt I would react. My case is tough, I either don't react to minimal amounts of gluten or don't recognize my symptoms. Other times I can definately tell, but my symptoms have varied so much from glutening to glutening.

That is exactly what they told me and the representative was super nice and went out of her way to tell me about the vinegar. I didn't realize that some people react, that is very scary to me.

So, what is the consensus?

Are people who react having damage done to their intestines?

or

Are they super sensitive because they have a wheat allergy in addition to Celiac?

Joni, I think that some people are just super sensitive.

I don't react any more and I never had the stomach pain when glutened, so I am a poor example to comment. But, my experience here does indicate that there are some people who will react to grain based vinegar and alcohol. Damage would be determined by having Celiac or an allergy/intolerance.

I stopped drinking Canadian Bourbon about eight months ago. My stools changed immediately and took on a "normal" appearance. It, prior had looked rather grainy and since I was gluten free, I assumed that this was "normal" recovery appearance.

So, my hypothesis to this story (which I am pleased is hidden in a Manwich Thread) is that yes, perhaps grain based products, even though distilled, may have cause damage to me. Everyone is different.

<White flag waving Raven> :lol::lol::lol:

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I stopped drinking Canadian Bourbon about eight months ago. My stools changed immediately and took on a "normal" appearance. It, prior had looked rather grainy and since I was gluten free, I assumed that this was "normal" recovery appearance.

So, my hypothesis to this story (which I am pleased is hidden in a Manwich Thread) is that yes, perhaps grain based products, even though distilled, may have cause damage to me. Everyone is different.

<White flag waving Raven> :lol::lol::lol:

:D:D:D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trcn Apprentice

"Damage would be determined by having Celiac or an allergy/intolerance."

Ok, this I'm still learning about... My blood tests were negative for Celiac, but I had been gluten-free for almost a month. My saliva test was positive for anti-gliadin antibodies. I have had no stomach/GI symptoms whatsoever, but my Vitamin D came back almost zero (I live in Florida and get plenty of dairy). Suggesting absorption issue??? I am also Zinc deficient... but my only reactions to gluten are severe scalp itch and 3 years of drastic, unexplained hair loss and itchy arms (no blisters or rash at all). I also break out on my back, chest, and face. Does absorption issue point towards Celiac? or Does itching and hair loss point more towards allergy/intolerance? Since going gluten-free (2months now) itching is gone, hair is sprouting like crazy and skin is baby smooth (unless I get glutened). I am also taking Vitamin D and Zinc.

Thx.

Tracy

• 3 years later...
freeatlast Collaborator

I just ate a Manwich sloppy joe for the first time and so far so good. No reaction. The ingredients looked ok, but after reading this thread, could be a slight amt. of wheat in it.

Any one else eat this product?

kareng Grand Master

I just ate a Manwich sloppy joe for the first time and so far so good. No reaction. The ingredients looked ok, but after reading this thread, could be a slight amt. of wheat in it.

Any one else eat this product?

If its still a Con-Agra product, they will clearly list all gluten even barley. The can will say Con-Agra in little print. or you could check the website to see if it is still one of thier products.

The info on this thread is very old in "Product Time".

Juliebove Rising Star

I bought some other brand of sloppy Joe stuff that was gluten-free. I can't remember where I bought it. We used it a while ago. We are not big sloppy Joe eaters. But when I made them as a kid there was no such thing as Manwich. I just used canned tomato sauce and added a few things. There are plenty of recipes on the Internet.

I do remember buying Manwich though. I was horrified to learn that for the price, there was no actual meat in it! For that price they really ought to give you a complete meal! In my opinion.

T.H. Community Regular

Did you by any chance mention where you lived when you were speaking to them? Sometimes when I'm talking to a company and they have an either/or ingredient that something is derived from, it's often different by country. Like, wheat derived ingredient for Britain, but corn derived for the USA. Might be worth calling them back to see if that's the issue with theirs, too.

As for the risk, I think for most celiacs, if it's derived from wheat, the food falls into the category of 'processed in a facility that also processes wheat.' If you are fine with products like that, then this is likely okay for you. If you have to avoid products processed in the same facility as wheat, you might want to take a pass on wheat derived vinegars.

Does absorption issue point towards Celiac? or Does itching and hair loss point more towards allergy/intolerance? Since going gluten-free (2months now) itching is gone, hair is sprouting like crazy and skin is baby smooth

Although a lot of issues can cause these problems, I can at least say that hair loss, absorption issues, and skin problems are issues with my daughter. For me, hair loss was one that stopped after going gluten free, and started growing back in. I have mild skin issues if I get glutened OR if I get my allergies.

The itching skin could be celiac related, or it could be allergy. I'd think allergy if it was on the head and it went away when you changed shampoo. Since it went away when you went gluten free, unless you changed shampoo as well, I'd be considering celiac disease as the cause.

• 2 months later...
Billie Jo Newbie

Well we made spaghetti tonight with Hunts Manwich sauce because it had less ingredients than all of the spaghetti sauces out there and i just assumed it was gluten free from the ingredients on the label. I didn't see anything to be concerned about.

But I decided to research it just before I ate and found this conversation about it. Well i ate it anyway. So far so good. I usually have a reaction in about 30 minutes or so. I usually get very nervous and anxious and then it feels like my brain starts to swell and then my ears get plugged up and everything sounds like my head is in a glass jar. Then I get a tight pinch or cramp in the back of my neck just below my head and Also I get a scratchy throat and a little mucous and i have trouble clearing my throat. Then next the headache and then I get really sleepy because it sends my sugar level sky high and then I come crashing down. then the next three days are not fun for me or anyone else in our house because I usually get depressed and very negative and aggravated with everything and everyone and the slightest things upset me. This is the part I hate the most because I am usually a very loving, caring, giving and understanding person and my family don't understand this negative reaction that comes out in me, I don't either. I try very hard to avoid gluten every day. And thought I was getting better at reading labels but then this conversation made me second guess things.

But i am happy to say that it is an hour or so later now and no reactions. So I'm sticking with Hunt's Manwich sauce for my family.

Hope this real time test helps someone else out there. :)

Billie

LoUiSiAna

Gluten Free since June 2010

Misdiagnosed for 20+ years or more.

• 7 years later...
Shantel Rookie

Misdiagnosed 20 years here to thanks for the info on manwhich I tried it over some gluten free corn chips end cheese yummy. No major symptoms feel a little achy but I think it’s cause of sodium ? I get so nervous eating anything that doesn’t clearly say gluten free because my symptoms 

Archived