2 replies to this topic

#1 disneyfan

disneyfan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

I started on the Core Plan two weeks ago and have been successful. I am a little concerned though because I am noticing that possibly adding so many more fruits/veggies to my daily eating, I am not absorbing carrots and spinach. I had to stop spinach before since it was too rough on my system. But now, the carrots are noticeably "not absorbed" and I'm getting worried.

I have been gluten free for one year and feel so much better. I wanted to lose the extra weight gained since becoming more healthy, but this is making me wonder. Could the increase in these foods be too much for my stomach to process? Has anyone had this setback going on a diet?

I have had problems with red peppers and carrots before but that seemed to calm down and the peppers are not consistent. I have never cut out dairy because it didn't seem to bother me. What could I be missing? Like I said in my earlier post, I could not eat the FF foods because it was not agreeing with my stomach.

As I write this, my stomach is grumbling like it was before gluten free. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, even though I'm losing weight.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 debmidge

debmidge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:52 AM

I started on the Core Plan two weeks ago and have been successful. I am a little concerned though because I am noticing that possibly adding so many more fruits/veggies to my daily eating, I am not absorbing carrots and spinach. I had to stop spinach before since it was too rough on my system. But now, the carrots are noticeably "not absorbed" and I'm getting worried.

I have been gluten free for one year and feel so much better. I wanted to lose the extra weight gained since becoming more healthy, but this is making me wonder. Could the increase in these foods be too much for my stomach to process? Has anyone had this setback going on a diet?

I have had problems with red peppers and carrots before but that seemed to calm down and the peppers are not consistent. I have never cut out dairy because it didn't seem to bother me. What could I be missing? Like I said in my earlier post, I could not eat the FF foods because it was not agreeing with my stomach.

As I write this, my stomach is grumbling like it was before gluten free. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, even though I'm losing weight.

My celiac husband has the same situation. He cannot digest fruits and vegetables without abdominal pain, gas, bloating, maldigestion, indigestion, loose stool and "colorful" stool. He does not absorb the fruits and vegetables either (carrots, greens) and does not eat them due to the maldigestion.

He was 27 years misdiagnosed and now 4 years 100% gluten free. We thought that his ability to digest and absorb fruits and vegetables would return at a low level but unfortunately, did not.

By the way, what is an FF food?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#3 disneyfan

disneyfan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:43 AM

My celiac husband has the same situation. He cannot digest fruits and vegetables without abdominal pain, gas, bloating, maldigestion, indigestion, loose stool and "colorful" stool. He does not absorb the fruits and vegetables either (carrots, greens) and does not eat them due to the maldigestion.

He was 27 years misdiagnosed and now 4 years 100% gluten free. We thought that his ability to digest and absorb fruits and vegetables would return at a low level but unfortunately, did not.

By the way, what is an FF food?

I'm sorry to hear he is still having trouble. My absorption did improve but changed when I started WW. They were not FF foods, but I have been eating FF plain yogurt with fruit so I wonder if the FF food is not agreeing with me. I tried to use FF milk and splenda but that was not going to work at all. Couldn't stand the taste or the empty stomach feeling. I can't drink diet soda either so I have a feeling the "chemical" taste and substitutes are not for me. Someone else suggested digestive enzymes, has he tried those yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: