4 replies to this topic

#1 ellen123

ellen123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

Well today for only the second time since going gluten free in early February, my neck is starting to throb. I am so bummed out and puzzled, because the first time it happened, I could clearly trace where and how I got glutened. This time, I haven't eaten anything at all different from the things I've been eating all week -- all of which I've been careful to assess as gluten-free -- except for a big latte I got at Starbucks today. I've had them before with no problem. Is there somehow a chance I got CC'd by the latte? If not, is there any reason I would have a symptom flare up out of the blue? I realize that the many years of damage to my nervous system couldn't have completely healed in a month, but why would my neck just start hurting (in the same place, in the same way as before) for no reason?

Do any of you get relapses when you can't trace it to an accidental glutening or cc? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:37 PM

Well today for only the second time since going gluten free in early February, my neck is starting to throb. I am so bummed out and puzzled, because the first time it happened, I could clearly trace where and how I got glutened. This time, I haven't eaten anything at all different from the things I've been eating all week -- all of which I've been careful to assess as gluten-free -- except for a big latte I got at Starbucks today. I've had them before with no problem. Is there somehow a chance I got CC'd by the latte? If not, is there any reason I would have a symptom flare up out of the blue? I realize that the many years of damage to my nervous system couldn't have completely healed in a month, but why would my neck just start hurting (in the same place, in the same way as before) for no reason?

Do any of you get relapses when you can't trace it to an accidental glutening or cc? Thanks.

Just wanted to say that the last time I got CC'd was when I got tea at a cafe. The food server had just made someone else a sandwich. The same kind of things may have happened to you.

I am now more than a little paranoid about getting anything at a restaurant or cafe. I carry my thermos and food everywhere so I won't miss out on socializing and at the same time not starve.
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:22 AM

My guess is that you got cross contaminated at Starbucks--the person who made your latte most likely had just handled a pastry for someone else.

I go to Starbucks regularly, but I drink tea (coffee doesn't agree with me). I always ask for my tea bag still in the wrapping--before I began doing this, I got glutened once--not again since.

I get the neck ache when glutened, too. It's not fun :( I hope you feel better soon!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

Friends don't let friends drink Stargluts. :ph34r:

I know theoretically there are supposedly safe gluten free drinks at Starbucks, but.... I don't do the mixed drinks either anymore after one two many mystery migraines. If I must drink something from them I want to see the teabag (they used Tazo and some of the Tazo teas have gluten, and they've even given me the wrong teabag) or I want to just put the plain coffee in the cup myself, put the half and half in the cup myself, and not let them otherwise touch it. And I react to their soy milk (don't ask me why, I don't know, I just do. I assume the brand they use has some sort of cc ) so I don't do that stuff with them anymore either.

Exasperating. As so many other people want to take one to Stargluts all the time.

The other really frustrating thing for me recently was there was an all night coffeeshop between the coast and Sacramento that used to be safe for me to get mixed coffee drinks at, and they were very good, and we used to stop there during the drive if we travelled on the weekend. The last time we stopped there, it was "under new management." The place had been redecorated. I won't describe the decor exactly, but it was a type of place before that was a student study hangout, very quiet, lots of people intently reading text books, drinking coffee, and they had coffee I could drink, and actual snacks even I could eat, like fruit, etc. There was also sandwiches, donuts, and pie for the regular eaters. The fruit was in a separate display. (does this sound nice, or what?!) It was friendly. Now there were warning signs NO OUTSIDE FOOD TO BE BROUGHT IN OR CONSUMED. IF YOU WANT THIS SHOP TO STAY OPEN, BE A CUSTOMER. And the display case was full of nothing but .... ramen noodle soup snacks. And the entire display of candy bars, including ones even we can eat, was gone. And there were a bunch of plaques on the wall with religious sayings, not the sweet ones but the stern ones. And the entire atmosphere was different.
And I got a coffee drink, and I got glutened really bad. Arrrrrggggghhhhhh.

I seriously wonder just what in the world people who run businesses are thinking some times. Do they honestly think college students intently studying and travellers would prefer nothing but salty old ramen noodle soups with their gluten coffee drinks ? :blink:

#5 gluten15

gluten15

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

Usually when I read through a topic..something someone said will trigger a thought.
Pertaining to the soy milk at Starbuck's.
Here I go again on my carrageenan rant..I do so because I can react to this like I do glutlen..D
I believe Starbuck's uses Silk Soymilk..which does contain carrageenan..which can cause digestion distress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: