#1 newgirl88

newgirl88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:43 AM

Dear Consumer:

Thank you for contacting Bayer HealthCare regarding Aleve Liquid Gels. We appreciate your interest in our product.

We do not add any gluten to our products. However, we cannot guarantee that our products are 100% gluten-free as this product is produced in a facility that manufactures and/or packages other items which may contain gluten.

Comments such as your own help us meet the growing needs of our consumers. I certainly will share them with our Regulatory, Medical and Marketing departments for consideration.

Sincerely,

Frank Belinc
Consumer Advisor

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

I do not believe I have ever used the gel caps, but I use the caplets all the time and I know for a fact, they are gluten free. Aleve is wonderful, I do only use it for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, 2 times a day, then I take a break from it. I also use Advil, Tylenol, Excedrin Migraine, Excedrin Tension (I just found I can't use this anymore because I break out from the red dye, but it is gluten free), and I have Equate Ibuprofen. Yes, I have many, I suffer major headaches, along with neuropathy. I do not take as much painkillers anymore now that I am taking Topamax, but I do still have them on hand.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#3 newgirl88

newgirl88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:30 PM

I called Tylenol and they sent me a list of products with gluten-free ingredients, but they wouldn't guarantee anything either.

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:30 PM

In practical terms, it seems that nobody will guarantee gluten-free for anything anymore. There have been too many lawsuits, so prudent legal advice is to say things like "we don't add any gluten [on purpose]" while denying any responsibility for any inadvertent contamination which may occur. Most manufacturers obtain at least some ingredients from third parties, and they don't want to assume responsibility for an error made by their supplier.

So, get used to hearing "we don't guarantee" anything.

My wife eats a few gluten-containing products, and stores them in the kitchen. We take precautions, but our kitchen is a "shared facility" and our utensils are "shared equipment." This is also true of just about every restaurant, no matter how celiac-aware they are. They have one kitchen, and one pool of utensils. They wash them, but it is a shared facility with shared equipment.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

yep, standard CYA statement. one that I will not let stop me from using aleve. as always, we have to make our own decisions, of course.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:23 AM

Me too. As I stated above, I use Aleve. I have been taking it for the last week with no ill side effects, although, I have never taken the gel cap. I have neuropathy and sometimes need to take something for pain, I can't be afraid to take something for relief. I have always used Tylenol too. I have Tylenol for Arthritis in my cabinet now and use it often. As has been stated, many of these companies used to state they were gluten free, but now are saying

"we don't add any gluten [on purpose]" while denying any responsibility for any inadvertent contamination which may occur.

just as a CYA statement. For us, it's a judgment call. I used the product before and was fine, so I continue to use it and keep my fingers crossed.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#7 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:24 AM

Me too. As I stated above, I use Aleve. I have been taking it for the last week with no ill side effects, although, I have never taken the gel cap. I have neuropathy and sometimes need to take something for pain, I can't be afraid to take something for relief. I have always used Tylenol too. I have Tylenol for Arthritis in my cabinet now and use it often. As has been stated, many of these companies used to state they were gluten free, but now are saying

"we don't add any gluten [on purpose]" while denying any responsibility for any inadvertent contamination which may occur.

just as a CYA statement. For us, it's a judgment call. I used the product before and was fine, so I continue to use it and keep my fingers crossed.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

#8 loco_ladi

loco_ladi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:44 PM

Thats almost word for word what I got when I called aleve to ask them before purchasing it on the advice of my doctor for another issue....

My guess is they have a book and tab thru it looking for the word "gluten" then read it off the paper, its also what they send out in the emails, lol

Gotta love lawyers :angry:
Just my .00000002 cents worth
If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: