13 replies to this topic

#1 HeatherMelissa

HeatherMelissa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 08:04 AM

If gluten can pass through Breast milk, it could pass through cows milk too right? Cows eat wheat?

Gabby had a horrbile tummy ache last night and ate nothing that has glutern in it, we are 100% sure as she has a very limited diet anyways. We can't figure it out.

I usually pump breatmilk and give it to her to drink and about every other say she has some cows milk. Yesterday she did. we just can't figure it out.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 08:44 AM

Nope -- you cannot be glutened through cow's milk, even if they eat gluten-containing grains, just as you can't be glutened by eating cow or pig meat....even if these animals eat gluten-containing foods. I can't give you a technical explanation, but someone else will :) :lol:

#3 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 08:51 AM

My reactions happen about a couple days-2 weeks after I eat gluten so make sure to check everything that she has eaten for the last weeks
Molly

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:18 AM

My reactions happen about a couple days-2 weeks after I eat gluten so make sure to check everything that she has eaten for the last weeks

Can it really take that long to get a gluten reaction? I thought the reactions could come somewhere between 15 minutes and a few days, but I didn't realize that it could take weeks ;)

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:26 AM

I concur that cow's milk is not a problem. Remeber that cows have 4 stomachs and theiur digestion differs significanlty from our. Dairy researchers and veterinarians at the university where I work have confirmed this.

richard

#6 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:46 AM

Maybe she is having trouble with cows milk? Did she drink more than normal?

#7 azedazobollis

azedazobollis

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:01 PM

HOLD IT! WOAH.

Regarding gluten passed through breastmilk:

http://www.lalechele...tm#_Toc64659323

http://www.csaceliac...eastfeeding.php

I will most definately research this subject- but before we have some soon- to-be-mom with celiac disease reading this page and deciding not to breastfeed because of a possibly gluten reaction... I just needed to post those links.

Also on that subject, I always enocourage my new mom's to hold off on introducing solid food and supplements until babies are literally grabbing for a spoon. I also recommend that the first foods be pureed fruits and vegetables- like avacado and banana and not cereals.
Christine, stay at home mom (Foster Mamma to infants)- Baker and Lactation supporter
Wife to Power Lineman, Chris.
Mom to:
Hollis (10.96) peanut allergy
Zobey (7.98) gluten intolerant & mild allergy to milk and egg whites
Zeda (6.02) dog allergy, hay fever, something else that I just cant figure out yet...?
Annakaya (1.05) milk sensitivity
Kaitlyn (8.06) milk allergy

#8 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:23 PM

Gluten will not get into cow's (or goat's, etc.) milk or an animal's meat. Gluten can be transferred through breast milk, so you should be on a gluten-free diet, as well, if you're breast feeding her. If you haven't been on the gluten-free diet for a little while before giving her breast milk, she can get gluten that way.

#9 HeatherMelissa

HeatherMelissa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 09:53 PM

Sorry for the confusion. Let me back up.....

Gabby is three. I BF from 0-18 months, she stopped when I got PG, When we found out she was anemic at age 2 1/2, I started to pump for her since I was nursing my new baby. Then we found out about the celiac disease, and I eliminated all gluten from my diet too. So now she has Breast milk or cows milk if I am running low.

The only thing we did differently yesterday was go to McDonalds so the kids could play. Maybe crumbs on the play structure???

#10 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:46 PM

You could be right about the McDonalds thing. . .also it is so germy from all the kids that that may have caused her problems. She probably had her hands in her mouth, since she is three.

#11 azedazobollis

azedazobollis

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 05:12 AM

..I haven't had the chance to research this, but...
Milk that comes from any breast is made up of the foods that lactating female eats. I just dont understand why a cow wouldnt be included in that theory. Cow's have the same diet everyday. I know this is a factor. So is a cow was fed and all grain diet, why wouldnt that grain protein be present? I buy milk with no hormones for our family when my children started sweating under their arms and I noticed my daughter at the age of 5 was growing a significant amount of leg hair. Totally off the subject of Celiac- sorry- But I would assume that grain would be transferred to a lacatating cow's milk. I never thought of this before reading this thread. In my food co-op there are eggs of chickens fed an all corn diet. This never occurred to me. How many celiacs out there are also allergic to milk? hmmm.
Christine, stay at home mom (Foster Mamma to infants)- Baker and Lactation supporter
Wife to Power Lineman, Chris.
Mom to:
Hollis (10.96) peanut allergy
Zobey (7.98) gluten intolerant & mild allergy to milk and egg whites
Zeda (6.02) dog allergy, hay fever, something else that I just cant figure out yet...?
Annakaya (1.05) milk sensitivity
Kaitlyn (8.06) milk allergy

#12 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:57 AM

I can only repeat what I just said earlier in this thread -- cows have a totally different digestive system. Something like wheat is so changed that it's either not present or has been changed into something harmless (I forget which). Research scientists say it is harmless. Comparing something like wheat with hormones is apples and oranges. Completely different molecular structure and physical properties.

We can argue all day about whether cow's milk is good for people, but it DOES NOT HAVE GLUTEN.

richard

#13 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:41 AM

While I agree with you on the milk you now buy and those eggs, all the research I have seen shows that there is no gluten in cows milk. A lot of people have issues with milk, and well it isn't thebest thing someone should be drinking, but it doesn't have to do with gluten.

Humans and cows are a lot different when it comes to these things.

#14 HeatherMelissa

HeatherMelissa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for all the info. I knew that I read that cow's milk was safe (in terms of gluten) but just didn't understand why.

Still having issues today. Not eating. lethargic and not drinking. I pray she sleeps soundly tonight. He doctor is in on Wendesday. We are thinking that she is eating too much dairy. She is not allergic, but her diet consists of yougurt, rice cereal and pudding (with pureed prunes hidden there) and cheddar cheese. The cheese is soemthing new, so maybe that is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: