This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Made A Five Layer gluten-free, Sf, Df, Egg Free Cake And It Held Perfectly!

Glutenfreefamily

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

I cant believe it, I was sure it would fall apart! Thank you Namaste! :D My daughter's castle cake held nicely, I was sure it would look like it had been under attack :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cheri A Contributor

Congrats!! What was your egg substitute, and what flavor Namaste?

Thanks :) I used namaste chocolate cake mix and Energ egg replacer. I used three mixes (technically 2 1/2) for #3 10 inch by 2 inch layers and #2 6 inch by 2 inch layers.

Here's a pic, I'm definitely not a professional but I love making them for my daughter, niece and nephews.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i89/Autumn3402/cake.webp

wolfie Enthusiast

Gorgeous cake!! Glad to hear that it worked so well for you!

Thanks! I used dowels for each layer and one long one to go through the length of the cake and a few cake boards to help hold it up. I was so nervous putting the turrets in I thought for sure it would split.

HAK1031 Enthusiast

Wow, that's impressive! I have cousins with mulitple allergies (egg, nut, milk) plus I'm gluten, dairy and soy intolerant!! Usually we have sorbet cakes on birthdays, but I'll give this recipe a try!

jerseyangel Proficient
Here's a pic, I'm definitely not a professional but I love making them for my daughter, niece and nephews.

Wow--that's beautiful! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

If you need help with dowel hints or recipes for the frosting let me know. We are vegetarians here with soy intolerances. I have oil issues so I couldnt eat it :( but my family loved it.

Thanks Patti :)

Wonka Apprentice
Thanks :) I used namaste chocolate cake mix and Energ egg replacer. I used three mixes (technically 2 1/2) for #3 10 inch by 2 inch layers and #2 6 inch by 2 inch layers.

You may not be a professional but you do have a special talent. Very impressive.

confusedks Enthusiast

That cake is beautiful! You did a GREAT job!! :D

Thank you very much :D

I started making them out of necessity for being dairy free than gluten free also and I found I really enjoy making them. I would love to take cake decorating classes but all the local classes use wheat flour. Im going to buy some books though to help hopefully and get more ideas.

itchygirl Newbie

That is so cool! :) I want to make a gingerbread house. I've only started being able to eat food again since my last surgery and I've always wanted a gingerbread house, every since I was little.

kbtoyssni Contributor

Beautiful!

itchy- Thanks! I havent tried the gluten-free gingerbread houses yet but I know there are a few recipes on here. Wiltons sells a stand up house cake pan that you could frost and decorate with candies as an alternative. I want to try this cake also again as a haunted castle for halloween :) Here' s another cake made out of the same style I didnt make this one, this is from the cake website and its made out of gingerbread.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i89/Autu...dgcastle_sm.webp

kbtoyssni- Thanks!

Cheri A Contributor

Wow, your cake looks amazing!! I would just be happy to find a cake recipe to work for Carleigh. Either it flops or she doesn't like it. <_< I will look for Namaste if it is safe.

Would you share your frosting recipe?

Cheri- I will post it tonight as I have to go start dinner. I think Namaste might have rice flour in it and I see rice is an allergy of your daughters, Im not positive it contains it though.

Can she have flax? If so I have a recipe to use that as an egg replacer. I havent used it yet but I have heard it works great.

To give more flavor to cakes I also add a few variations. Two of my daughters favorites is smuckers strawberry ice cream topping or any flavor jello. Strawberry pop tastes good on it too. I punch holes in the cake with the end of a wooden stick, usually 8 or 9 times in a 13x9 pan and pour it over it when its hot fresh out of the oven. It takes on the flavor of the additive.

sickchick Community Regular

Congratulations, Sweetie! You must be so happy!!! :P

lovelove

Collette - thanks :)

Cheri- Sorry I didnt get a chance to post this last night, here's the recipe

Cake decorator frosting-

1 1/2 cup shortening (spectrum if your intolerant to soy)

1/2 tsp salt

4 tablespoons tapioca flour (makes it more stiff to hold its shape using decorator tips)

8 cups (2lbs) powdered sugar

1 1/2 tsp flavoring ( I use vanilla but I have used strawberry and colored it pink)

1/2 c warm water (may need more)

Beat all ingredients together.

Cheri A Contributor

Thanks so much!! I will try the frosting too! She is fine with flax. I've used the Ener-G egg replacer occasionally. Usually I use the water/oil/baking powder sub though.

I will look at the Namaste mixes next time I to the co-op. :) The rice seems to be okay in small doses now. I have been giving her Tinkyada pasta once/week. I use a modified Carol Fenster blend with sorghum flour.

imsohungry Collaborator

Oh my gosh...I just about fell out of the chair when I clicked on your cake link! Wow, you have talent! B)

Personally, I am happy if my basic square cake turns out right...and all I avoid is gluten :rolleyes:

You have such talent! Congratulations on it turning out so wonderfully :)

-Julie

missy'smom Collaborator

That's one very special cake! Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy seeing other's creations. It gives me more hope and confidence. I love the Namaste cake mixes. They make alot so are a good value I think.

Just an idea for cake bakers out there: I recently tried a gluten-free/CF cupcake made by a local family business and they used fresh strawberry puree in the frosting. It made it a nice soft pink and tasted fabulous!

Cheri A Contributor

Hey GFF, (sorry, I don't remember your name)

Did you know that Wilton is having a castle contest every month? I really think you should send your picture in that you posted. It is definitely every bit as beautiful as some of the past winners!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Julie- It took me a long time to get it how I like it. I did find with namaste the more thinner layers the better. The bigger cakes dont do as well unless I use the pads you wrap around the pans for more even cooking.

missys mom- The strawberry puree does sound good, thanks for the idea.

Cheri- Thanks, Im not as satisfied I would be to turn one in but maybe one day :) I look at it and see mistakes here and there and what I would change. The perfectionist in me is coming out :)

Cheri A Contributor

OMGosh! Go look at those pictures!! Enter the contest!! I found another one for you to enter!! Open Original Shared Link :D

Not even in the same realm as your cakes, but the "Easter Bunny" brought chocolates for my daughter made from the Enjoy Life Chocolate chips. She loved them!!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/one.../Picture073.webp

Archived