This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There Anything I Can Do To Supress My Appetite?

blondebombshell

blondebombshell Collaborator

i am always starving! i eat pretty well but wind-up coming home and binging on cookies, etc!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Why is it that you are coming home and going for cookies? Is it stress release or another emotional reason? Find a way to deal with that. Our bodies are pretty good at telling us what we need if we listen to them. If you are hungry then make sure that you have healthier alternatives like fruit, lean deli meats etc. Make sure you are getting a good breakfast. Maybe you need smaller meals and more of them. Sometimes I eat a mini meal in the late afternoon to give me the energy I need to get through the evening responsibilities I have. I'll even eat a few pieces of ham or some other "real" food to give me the energy to cook dinner. I eat a snack everyday but it is a scheduled one and I arrange it on a plate and stick to a given portion.

MELINE Enthusiast
i am always starving! i eat pretty well but wind-up coming home and binging on cookies, etc!

I have the same problem with you...I eat A LOT. no....I eat REALLY A LOT. But I never feel satisfied.I am always hungry, and that started right after I excluded the food that was a no-no for me (lactose, gluten etc). I am not taking any kilos (on the contrary....I lost 3 kilos) and the only thing I can do to satisfy my hunger is to just keep eating proteins and carbohydrate (is that the word???) in the same plate, too much honey and at least 5 bananas a day and of course big meals.I dont't know what else to do. Do you have any idea why is that happening?

Ivanna44 Apprentice
I have the same problem with you...I eat A LOT. no....I eat REALLY A LOT. But I never feel satisfied.I am always hungry, and that started right after I excluded the food that was a no-no for me (lactose, gluten etc). I am not taking any kilos (on the contrary....I lost 3 kilos) and the only thing I can do to satisfy my hunger is to just keep eating proteins and carbohydrate (is that the word???) in the same plate, too much honey and at least 5 bananas a day and of course big meals.I dont't know what else to do. Do you have any idea why is that happening?

Hi,

I too am constanly starving, and just look and see things in the cupboard, that I can not have. 3 weeks now doing the gluten free diet. I am the only one in the house with the gluten sensitivity issues. It looks like you are trying to eat well. I know my big problem is my lifestyle in general. I've never been a morning eater, usually eating 2 hours later, and then in the evening seemly to "pig out" on everything I can have. Right now, I am still trying to build up things in the freezer. Being the only gluten free one in my house, and having an exteremely busy lifestyle, "on the go" with the kids and their activities. I find it hard to find things to eat. I've made a few things that turned out disasters, by that I mean tasting like sandy grit, that doesn't make them any appealing. I need ideas on how to make quick dinners; even if its just "once a month" freezer stock up meals, for one. that I can zap on the activity nights.

In terms of the starving feeling. That can be very well assoicated with going gluten free. I've heard from some other place that we are often addicted to those things we carv for such as gluten products, bread etc. I'm a huge bread fan; loved most kinds. So know i find it hard, as I'm dealing with new diet, and carving those old favourites, which are still my house, as I am the only one here with the gluten sensitive problems. I heard even some people get really bad headaches with the gluten free, a type of "withdrawl" so you could be feeling those "withdrawal" symptons, that are making you "think" are hungry.

]

Good luck, hope it helps. My biggest worry right now, is I've heard through the grapevines that going gluten free, makes you put on weight. I wanted to be 15 pounds lighter, before the glutenfree days (now 3 weeks)... so it upset me to hear I could gain weight going gluten free. :(

moldlady Rookie

This may not help much other than give a better understanding of the problem.

Apparently if one does not get good 6-7 hours of uninterrupted sleep the levels of leptin in the body are extremely low. Therefore, the feeling of being full is delayed and to the point of almost non existent. Without complete sleep, one feels hungry all the time.... every 3 hours or so when the stomach is empty.

It is almost like the body senses a need for a lack of something and diverts to food rather than deep uninterrupted sleep.

Throw this in with all the other factors of celiac, fungus/candida, heavy metals, etc. and you have a real mess on your hands to try and solve.

ML

AliB Enthusiast

I used to have a problem like that until I went gluten-free/DF but realised quite quickly that like a lot of people (who often don't know they are) I am actually carbohydrate intolerant and gluten is only a part of the problem.

My body cannot cope with carbs. I, also like a lot of other people, have bacterial overgrowth. The problem with that is that the bacteria makes you crave the food it feeds on, namely carbs and sugar.

After just a few weeks on the gluten-free/DF I actually went low-carb and after a few days the carb craving stopped. I now am not bothered by it.

Along with protein and fats I just get the mono-saccharide carbs I need from a good supply of cooked and raw fruits, vegetables, a little honey and well-cultured (at least 24 hours) yogurt (I tolerate goats better than cows) and avoid all sugar, grains, starches, and flours apart from nut flour.

Probably due to damage to the gut caused by over-consumption of carbohydrates, so many of us lack the enzymes needed to break down the more complex di (sugar and lactose) and poly-saccharides (grains and starches), and these foods do nothing to the body but feed the 'bad' bacteria and often encourage weight gain and sometimes also weight loss by making the blood sugar very unstable, contributing to all sorts of problems, hormonal, mental, emotional and physical.

Stopping gluten is just one aspect of the problem and whilst it may encourage a certain amount of 'healing' there are many who, although they have done that are still ill or having issues. If that is the case, try avoiding carbs in general for a while and see if it makes any difference. It can take several months to really start to see a benefit, but it is well worth trying.

The only two times in my life I was ever really well was when I went low-carb. How I am kicking myself now for not keeping it going. I may even have avoided becoming diabetic......

celiac-mommy Collaborator

All I can do is to tell you what works for me--I've had the same problem for years!

I try not to eat after 7pm--I keep a big glass of ice water with lemon with me after 7

Sugar free gum-keeps your mouth busy

I exercise in the evening. It really curbs the eating. My kids are in bed by 8, I work out from 8-9, shower, pack lunches and am in bed by 10--8 hrs of sleep really is important!! (I got yelled at by my dr for only getting 5-6 hours so she actually prescribed 8 hours of sleep for me!)

Call someone. Go for the phone-or the computer, catch up on emails, thank you notes, letters, whatever to keep you busy.

Do some chores, fold some laundry, clean a closet-you'd be amazed in a week what you can get done!

Give yourself a mani/pedi or a facial. Grab that avacado and smear it on your face instead of eating it ;) Focus on yourself in a positive way instead of negatively.

Hope these ideas help a little--good luck, I know it's hard!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Are you getting enough fat in your diet? Sometimes people crave fatty food like cookies because they need more fat. Fat also keeps you full longer ..... I have to eat 20 grams of fat twice a day with a medicine I'm taking, and I find I have almost no appetite because of it, LOL. I actually have lost a couple pounds since eating this much fat!

LoveIsntMade Rookie

rachelle, those are great tips. i do a lot of the same! working out at night really does cut out those night time munchies!

ivaana, i was under the same misconception when i first went gluten-free. a lot of people said i would gain weight. don't listen to them! i have lost almost 40 lbs since i went gluten-free in august! i promise, you can do it too. i've found being gluten-free, i eat less, and what i do eat/snack on is healthy because i don't want to spend the money (and time to bake) on the specialty gluten-free snacks. carrots, apples, baby food, green giant makes some YUMMY frozen microwave ready veggie steam packs i eat all the time! breakfast is my favorite meal, i look forward to it every day! there are low cal/low fat (naturally --- they are sweetened with fruit juice!) gluten-free corn flakes with some skim milk and equal is DELISH (funny how gluten-free makes us really love simple things like a bowl of cereal!) for breakfast! also, they have some amazing gluten-free waffles that are only 190 cals for 2 and pretty low in fat, with some sugar free syrup (30 cals for 1/4 a c!) makes a great breakfast. throw in some low fat yogurt and you have lots to choose from for breakfast! anyway trust me, you don't have to gain weight being gluten-free. don't get discouraged!

kitten37 Newbie
This may not help much other than give a better understanding of the problem.

Apparently if one does not get good 6-7 hours of uninterrupted sleep the levels of leptin in the body are extremely low. Therefore, the feeling of being full is delayed and to the point of almost non existent. Without complete sleep, one feels hungry all the time.... every 3 hours or so when the stomach is empty.

It is almost like the body senses a need for a lack of something and diverts to food rather than deep uninterrupted sleep.

Throw this in with all the other factors of celiac, fungus/candida, heavy metals, etc. and you have a real mess on your hands to try and solve.

ML

I also have linked this to thirst. I drink a ton of water in a day but sometimes days get busy and I don't have a chance. It took me a while to make the connection that those were the nights I was ravenous. It's the I want something but don't know what it is feeling and most people mistake it for a wanting of food.

When I get that feeling I start by drinking a big glass of water and doing something to keep myself busy. Usually the feeling passes.

I think too many of our bodies signals we mistake for the wrong things.

Kaycee Collaborator

AliB, I agree with what you are saying about being carbohydrate intolerant. Also I think more carbs make us hungrier as well. When I first went gluten free, I lowered my carb intake, and instantly I was not as hungry. But over the last year or so, I have upped my carbs as I have found more things to eat, by eating more gluten-free breads etc, and I find my appetite/hunger is back with a vengeance. I have always dabbled with less carbs, but haven't been too serious.

Until a couple of weeks back, when I went on holiday, for one reason or other, I didn't eat any bread, mainly because of cc in toasters and no access to a freezer. Yesterday it had been a whole two weeks without bread and I felt fine, but then yesterday I had toast for breakfast, and then by morning tea time my hunger was insatiable. I had to eat. By the evening I was quite grumpy and still hungry and my stomach wasn't feeling too well. So I think I will now try harder to go without bread and cake.

Cathy

• 1 month later...
jparsick84 Rookie

Eating mini-meals is the best advice I ever got. Eating every 3 hours or so keeps the blood sugar levels more stable, so you don't get mood swings, and you can make each mini-meal as big or little as you need. Obviously, my 3 meals are bigger than the snacks, but, say, my afternoon snack is WAY bigger than my evening snack, because the afternoon is when I get my munchies. Either way, I eat every 3 hours-ish.

Big glass of water is also helpful. Something like 90% of the time we're craving sweet or salty foods, it's really cause we're thirsty. Drink a big glass and try to wait 10 minutes, see if you're less hungry.

Mini candy bars are the best, if you're craving sweet. Mini bags of potato chips are the best if you're craving salty, greasy food. The mini portions keep you in control, so even if you eat the whole bag, it's not completely damaging. Plus, eating the whole bag makes you feel more satisfied ("I ate an entire bag of chips/a whole candy bar, so I'm not hungry anymore!")

If you're having problems more with regular meals, take the time to have a SOLID breakfast - one with fruit, carbs, protien, and maybe even dairy. (If you can have those things). Most days I have 2 eggs, a bowl of gluten-free cereal w/skim milk and a glass of OJ, and it keeps me going for 5 or 6 hours. (Also, this breakfast can be made and eaten in 10-15 minutes, depending on how you like you eggs. Eat the cereal while the egg is cooking to save even more time). Starting your day Great, even if you don't have time to have a fantastic lunch or dinner, can really help your mindset for the day to come.

These are the tricks that have helped me. Good luck! :)

turkeybird Rookie

Here's a tip from my nutritionist:

She has me adding ground flax seed to a lot of foods I eat. It is full of fiber and helps me feel full longer. I have to say that it's been helping me so far. I have found that I feel more satisfied after a meal with added flax then a meal without it.

Hope this helps!

laurelfla Enthusiast

OK -- I opened this thread hoping to get some help... but I see a couple of different tacks being taken. One being appetite and perceived hunger and one being actually ravenous... I fall into the latter camp. It's not just that I feel hungry, I am STARVING! I eat all kinds of snacks every day (if I didn't, I wouldn't have a husband or any friends because I become intolerably grouchy when I'm hungry!) :P I eat a varied diet, including fat and protein, drink tons of water, eat nuts all the time... none of those "eat a handful of nuts" recommendations works for me. It got to the point where if I ever woke up in the middle of the night, that was it, because my stomach would feel so empty I couldn't fall asleep again. Now I always eat a little something at night before bed (waist be darned!) but I still wake up starving every morning. I don't know what to do about it. I eat lots of small meals and I'm a healthy weight. Oh, and because we're all supportive, Celiac friends here, I also want to tell you that just about every morning after breakfast, I go the bathroom and everything's gone and then my stomach feels so empty and I'm starving again! This can happen literally 15 minutes after breakfast; it doesn't matter what I eat. I know I'm not misreading any signals because my stomach literally growls. I will definitely try the flax seed; thanks for that suggestion!

curlyfries Contributor
Now I always eat a little something at night before bed (waist be darned!) but I still wake up starving every morning.

This may not help you at all, as I do not feel hungry all the time. But there is one strange thing I have noticed about myself. If I eat shortly before going to bed, I will ALWAYS, ALWAYS wake up starving. If I eat dinner at a reasonable time and don't snack between then and bedtime, I am NOT hungry when I wake up. I eat anyway to start my day off right, but if I'm not going to work, I may not eat fo a couple hours. Go figure :wacko:

Lisa

Sweetfudge Community Regular

One trick is to not have those things in the house. It means you get to stand in front of the open fridge every night looking for something sweet, but if the goodies aren't there, you find something else to satisfy your hunger. I've started replacing my sweets with fruit. I love a small bowl of frozen strawberries or blueberries, especially in the evening when I want something sweet. Even frozen grapes. I don't know if it makes it more like ice cream, but I love my fruit frozen.

Hi,

I too am constanly starving, and just look and see things in the cupboard, that I can not have. 3 weeks now doing the gluten free diet. I am the only one in the house with the gluten sensitivity issues. It looks like you are trying to eat well. I know my big problem is my lifestyle in general. I've never been a morning eater, usually eating 2 hours later, and then in the evening seemly to "pig out" on everything I can have. Right now, I am still trying to build up things in the freezer. Being the only gluten free one in my house, and having an exteremely busy lifestyle, "on the go" with the kids and their activities. I find it hard to find things to eat. I've made a few things that turned out disasters, by that I mean tasting like sandy grit, that doesn't make them any appealing. I need ideas on how to make quick dinners; even if its just "once a month" freezer stock up meals, for one. that I can zap on the activity nights.

In terms of the starving feeling. That can be very well assoicated with going gluten free. I've heard from some other place that we are often addicted to those things we carv for such as gluten products, bread etc. I'm a huge bread fan; loved most kinds. So know i find it hard, as I'm dealing with new diet, and carving those old favourites, which are still my house, as I am the only one here with the gluten sensitive problems. I heard even some people get really bad headaches with the gluten free, a type of "withdrawl" so you could be feeling those "withdrawal" symptons, that are making you "think" are hungry.

]

Good luck, hope it helps. My biggest worry right now, is I've heard through the grapevines that going gluten free, makes you put on weight. I wanted to be 15 pounds lighter, before the glutenfree days (now 3 weeks)... so it upset me to hear I could gain weight going gluten free. :(

There are so many GREAT recipes on this site. I have a whole folder full of recipes I've printed out here. Just browse the recipe pages! Or do a search of whatever it is you want to make.

And as far as that rumor that you gain weight, I don't believe it has to do with going gluten free. A lot of celebrities are doing the "gluten free thing" as a fad diet (pretty much just cutting out all those carbs). I think, at least for me, the problem lies in overindulging on the things you can eat, JUST because they say gluten-free. I know I get so excited when I find a new cookie recipe that just totally rocks, I just eat all the cookies because I CAN! That's where I have maintained my weight since going gluten-free.

All I can do is to tell you what works for me--I've had the same problem for years!

I try not to eat after 7pm--I keep a big glass of ice water with lemon with me after 7

Sugar free gum-keeps your mouth busy

I exercise in the evening. It really curbs the eating. My kids are in bed by 8, I work out from 8-9, shower, pack lunches and am in bed by 10--8 hrs of sleep really is important!! (I got yelled at by my dr for only getting 5-6 hours so she actually prescribed 8 hours of sleep for me!)

Call someone. Go for the phone-or the computer, catch up on emails, thank you notes, letters, whatever to keep you busy.

Do some chores, fold some laundry, clean a closet-you'd be amazed in a week what you can get done!

Give yourself a mani/pedi or a facial. Grab that avacado and smear it on your face instead of eating it ;) Focus on yourself in a positive way instead of negatively.

Hope these ideas help a little--good luck, I know it's hard!

Great helpful hints! I also try and drink a lot in the evening. Although I stop drinking by 9pm or I'm up all night :P

I do the gum thing too, except sometimes it aggravates my TMJ. It does help with that sweet tooth though.

I definitely agree with focusing on something positive. When I sit around moping because I have no chocolate in the house, I have no fun. So I try and distract my mind from my stomach by doing something fun or productive! It's not always easy, but it helps :D

Are you getting enough fat in your diet? Sometimes people crave fatty food like cookies because they need more fat. Fat also keeps you full longer ..... I have to eat 20 grams of fat twice a day with a medicine I'm taking, and I find I have almost no appetite because of it, LOL. I actually have lost a couple pounds since eating this much fat!

What food are you getting your fat from? I'd love to lose a few pounds :)

Eating mini-meals is the best advice I ever got. Eating every 3 hours or so keeps the blood sugar levels more stable, so you don't get mood swings, and you can make each mini-meal as big or little as you need. Obviously, my 3 meals are bigger than the snacks, but, say, my afternoon snack is WAY bigger than my evening snack, because the afternoon is when I get my munchies. Either way, I eat every 3 hours-ish.

Big glass of water is also helpful. Something like 90% of the time we're craving sweet or salty foods, it's really cause we're thirsty. Drink a big glass and try to wait 10 minutes, see if you're less hungry.

Mini candy bars are the best, if you're craving sweet. Mini bags of potato chips are the best if you're craving salty, greasy food. The mini portions keep you in control, so even if you eat the whole bag, it's not completely damaging. Plus, eating the whole bag makes you feel more satisfied ("I ate an entire bag of chips/a whole candy bar, so I'm not hungry anymore!")

If you're having problems more with regular meals, take the time to have a SOLID breakfast - one with fruit, carbs, protien, and maybe even dairy. (If you can have those things). Most days I have 2 eggs, a bowl of gluten-free cereal w/skim milk and a glass of OJ, and it keeps me going for 5 or 6 hours. (Also, this breakfast can be made and eaten in 10-15 minutes, depending on how you like you eggs. Eat the cereal while the egg is cooking to save even more time). Starting your day Great, even if you don't have time to have a fantastic lunch or dinner, can really help your mindset for the day to come.

These are the tricks that have helped me. Good luck! :)

I have hypoglycemia, so eating every 3 hrs is a must. It really does help me feel better throughout the day. Especially being on my feet working all day, taking a minute to grab some nutrients gives me that boost I need. I also agree with controlling portions of the sweets you eat, although I don't have much $$ so I try and buy things we eat a lot of, and just throwing portion-servings into ziplocs. It helps at work, but not so much at home. Though I do try and serve myself treats in bowls, so I'm not just eating out of the bag. Just being that much more consious of how much you're eating can help.

Here's a tip from my nutritionist:

She has me adding ground flax seed to a lot of foods I eat. It is full of fiber and helps me feel full longer. I have to say that it's been helping me so far. I have found that I feel more satisfied after a meal with added flax then a meal without it.

Hope this helps!

I do this with almost everything I bake. It really helps IMO. And so healthy!!!

Anyway, there's my two cents and then some :)

• 3 weeks later...
monkey123 Rookie

AliB-

You said you are intolerant to carbohydrates. How did you figure that out and what symptoms were you having? It seems to me whenever I eat a cookie, bread, or some sort of pastry I have stomach pains. I am also lactose intolerant so that could add to it, but I rarely have these treats. I think, but am not sure, ever since I have introduced carbs back into my life I crave and go crazy for them, to the point where it is uncontrolable. I am just looking for an answer for my pains, and my cravings. Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
Rebecca's mom Rookie

Sorry, new to this - see next post.....

Rebecca's mom Rookie

Dear Ivanna,

I noticed that you have a child with Down syndrome. Have you had him/her screened for celiac disease? I am asking because our daughter, Rebecca (about to turn 7), also had DS, and we found out that she has celiac disease. She had absolutely NO symptoms, so you can imagine our surprise when her antibody numbers came back off of the charts. Her intestinal biopsy revealed that she had borderline Stage IV damage!

After doing a lot of research, I have learned that 1 in 8 people with DS is diagnosed with celiac disease, and chances are those numbers are going to go higher in the future. When you look at the health issues that people with DS have, it is amazing that the numbers aren't higher already. Rebecca's pediatrician has a step-daughter with DS and after he did some research on it, he took it upon himself to screen all of his DS patients for celiac disease (he has around 30 kiddos right now in his practice). If it hadn't been for that, we probably wouldn't have known that Rebecca had celiac disease for a while, if ever.

I just thought that I would throw that out for you. Nobody else in the family has tested positive for celiac disease, but I have found out that I am EXTREMELY gluten-sensitive. I went ahead and made our kitchen completely gluten-free, though, and since I started eating gluten-free I have lost 15 pounds (2 months now). I did find that I had to drop most of the grain products that I eat, though. Carbs are the problem - I can eat all of the fat that I want to, and I still lose weight (lots of interesting articles out there on why this is so......).

Teresa Koch

Fort Worth, Texas

• 3 months later...
Maryruth1035 Newbie

After several hours of not eating, your blood sugar falls and you need food or your energy level drasticlly declines. If you then go and eat carbohydrate (sugars and starches) rich foods, your body responds by secreting insulin into the blood so that the sugar can be taken out of the blood and stored in the body elsewhere (glycogen if short term, and fat if long term.) As sugar is removed from your blood, your blood sugar levels drop, and once again you crave carbohydrate rich foods (which most rapidly increase blood sugar levels...) This can be a vicious cycle--Since too much sugar in the blood will kill you just as much as too little sugar in the blood, there is a better way to snack.

That is to modulate your carbohydrate intake. Slow down the absorption of sugar ands starches in your gut when you eat by eating foods lower in raw sugars and starches (which are immediately turned into glucose by the body) You do this by making sure that your meals have more protein, the right kind of fats (avocados, olives/olive oil, nuts, nut butters, etc.), and fewer high sugar/high starch foods. Another thing that will help is to snack on nuts or other healthy sources of fat and protein (like a cup of soymilk) every couple of hours (not too many nuts if you are watching your weight--but a half an ounce--15 almonds or 30 pistachios, for example). That way you won't get the intense cravings that consuming carbs alone gives you.

• 2 weeks later...
bakingbarb Enthusiast
OK -- I opened this thread hoping to get some help... but I see a couple of different tacks being taken. One being appetite and perceived hunger and one being actually ravenous... I fall into the latter camp. It's not just that I feel hungry, I am STARVING! I eat all kinds of snacks every day (if I didn't, I wouldn't have a husband or any friends because I become intolerably grouchy when I'm hungry!) :P I eat a varied diet, including fat and protein, drink tons of water, eat nuts all the time... none of those "eat a handful of nuts" recommendations works for me. It got to the point where if I ever woke up in the middle of the night, that was it, because my stomach would feel so empty I couldn't fall asleep again. Now I always eat a little something at night before bed (waist be darned!) but I still wake up starving every morning. I don't know what to do about it. I eat lots of small meals and I'm a healthy weight. Oh, and because we're all supportive, Celiac friends here, I also want to tell you that just about every morning after breakfast, I go the bathroom and everything's gone and then my stomach feels so empty and I'm starving again! This can happen literally 15 minutes after breakfast; it doesn't matter what I eat. I know I'm not misreading any signals because my stomach literally growls. I will definitely try the flax seed; thanks for that suggestion!

Laura, this is me exactly. I was hoping I wasn't the only one. I am with you on the its not just hunger its STARVING and growling and I wake up so hungry its all I can think about. I too drink water and eat lots of nuts. I tend to eat meats and spuds and veggies, eggs and rice. I don't bake much anymore either so not eating that as much. My biggest downfall food wise is chips but I try to stick with misson tortilla chips instead of potato chips. If I eat them with salsa I at least feel like I ate something decent.

But for sure on the hunger and eat then use the bathroom and eat again and on it goes.

My biggest problem with my weight I think it is lack of motivation for exercise. I used to be very active and a few years back got in a car accident, since then I haven't exercised like I used to plus it is when my Celiac went into overdrive.

Its been one year for me figuring out the Celiac and I am gaining not losing. But again I honestly believe it is lack of exercise.

Maeve Newbie

The longer I am doing this, the more I go towards SCD diet. I must admit, don't follow absolutely to the letter (still use Lactose free milk in my coffee), but I can go for hours without eating and I am honestly almost never hungry. It is a lot to adjust to, but I found the gluten free substitutes (flour, noodles), only made me hungrier. I bake a lot with the SCD Recipe book, which is GREAT. So now, I use almond flour for treats and it really satisfies me. If I go off it, I feel it and am hungry, so I stay on it. I can' t believe how I ate before, just a whole different way of thinking of food. Others think I am absolutely nuts with some of my concoctions but I love it AND, I am slowly losing the weight I gained since my DX. (so far 8 lbs. I never thought I could lose).

I do find it all takes time, I am a year and half into it, and my hope is to be as small as I was when I was eating gluten (I was, of course, starving myself and didn't know it). Now, my body is satiated.

Thanks to all who write, I have learned so much from all the comments.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I apologize if I've misunderstood, are you saying after breakfast "everything is gone" because you have diarrhea? If that's true, you are still eating something you're reacting to.

19scarlett Newbie

Check what emotion lies behind it and try to respond differently. Also, think of something else quickly, and do something else than eating that will comfort you as well, like having a bath, calling a friend, reading a book

LadyWicklow Newbie

I react very badly to some kinds of carbohydrates...

I ate one can of gluten free baked beans and a single yam (fried) and gained 8lbs in water weight in a day, recently (put it down to me being a "slow learner" :rolleyes: )

It's really very noticeable.

I also bloat, constipate and f...er...become flatulant...are you sure you want to hear all this?

Checking the legal/illegal list of the SCD I realise that as long as I stick to the "legal" list my who body works properly for the first time in decades.

That is not to say I cannot tolerate some of the "illegals" too, I am sure I can, but first things first...

I always thrived on Atkins diet too...

...and, on either, after the first 72 hours I do not feel hungry...

It's worth a try...

Another little trick that I got from my mother (of all the embarassing people to learn "new tricks" from, post-menopause) is to use honey instead of sugar or sweetners.

It really works for me, like magic...though, unfortunately, not when I want to lose weight (as I do now), but it certainly doesn't cause me to gain weight (though I would be replacing sweetners, not sugar).

...and recent research shows that is more than an old wives tale and imagination as honey has been found to have loads of beneficial effects, including regulating insulin.

LadyW

Archived