This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Cheddar Chex Mix

stolly

stolly Collaborator

Any suggestions for how to make a cheddar chex mix with Health Valley Crumch Ems? Chedder chex mix was one of my DD's favorite snacks. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Kraft makes a canister with just the mac and cheese powder in it. Kraft is a company that will disclose all gluten so you could just read the label and if it doesn't say wheat or barley, you're go to go. I would just make the mix as usual, maybe omiting the worchestershire sauce(EDIT: for flavor reasons) and then sprinkle plenty of the cheese on and mix it when it comes out of the oven warm.

Maybe someone can recommend/ confirm a gluten-free cheese powder.

mamaw Community Regular

Lea & Perkins Worchestire is gluten-free..........

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
Kraft makes a canister with just the mac and cheese powder in it. Kraft is a company that will disclose all gluten so you could just read the label and if it doesn't say wheat or barley, you're go to go. I would just make the mix as usual, maybe omiting the worchestershire sauce(EDIT: for flavor reasons) and then sprinkle plenty of the cheese on and mix it when it comes out of the oven warm.

Maybe someone can recommend/ confirm a gluten-free cheese powder.

I wish I could find that Kraft Mac and Cheese powder around me....

JennyC Enthusiast

I buy the whole box of Mac & Cheese and give the noodles away and use the cheese. I was hesitant to do this, but many people on this board said they have never gotten sick doing this, and neither has my son. You can buy the Mac & Cheese cheap at Costco or Walmart.

Guhlia Rising Star

Amanda, the only place I've ever seen it is at super WalMart. The one in Ephrata definitely carries it and I've never seen them run out. I buy them 15 at a time because I rarely get out that way and Tori likes cheese on EVERYTHING! They have it in a weird aisle (can't remember which one, but it makes little sense) so you may have to ask for help finding it. Anyway, if you don't ever get out this way, I can pick some up for you. I'm sure I'll be making more than one trip out to HersheyPark this summer. I'm out that way quite a bit if you want to meet me somewhere since you work in Hershey.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

We use the cheese packets out of the Kraft mac and cheese. I bet if you modified a regular chex mix recipe Open Original Shared Link you could sub the cheese powder in. It would probably work pretty well.

Let us know if you try it and how it turns out. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bakingbarb Enthusiast
Open Original Shared Linksells Open Original Shared Link. I love everything I have bought from them, I have not used this but have been meaning to buy it. Yum, popcorn and cheese here I come!
Lisa Mentor
Lea & Perkins Worchestire is gluten-free..........

Lea & Perrins is gluten free in the US - NOT in Canada. (just a little added detail :D )

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast
We use the cheese packets out of the Kraft mac and cheese. I bet if you modified a regular chex mix recipe Open Original Shared Link you could sub the cheese powder in. It would probably work pretty well.

Let us know if you try it and how it turns out. :)

Thanks for the link, I had no idea there were that many variations of chex mix treats.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Yeah . . . I was thinking about the Kraft blue canister of cheese as well. The ingredients are the same as the box of mac & cheese - cheese packet except that two of the ingredients (farther down on the list) are in a different order so apparently, there is a slight difference.

I did want to mention that after you open the canister, you are suppose to refrigerate the unused portion. With the box, you always use the whole packet so it doesn't have that info. So, if you use the Kraft powdered cheese, you may want to refrigerate your chex mix. Or perhaps only sprinkle it on the portion that you are sitting down to eat.

I have found the Kraft blue canister at Wal-Mart . . . just a regular Wal-Mart not a super Wal-Mart. It's located next to the parmesean cheese. It's smaller than the parmesean canister, blue, and would hold about three envelopes worth of cheese from the mac&cheese boxes.

Guhlia Rising Star

Wow, I never noticed that I said to refrigerate after opening. I never have and I've never had a problem. I guess I'll start now though and be thankful we've never had a problem.

Darn210 Enthusiast
Wow, I never noticed that I said to refrigerate after opening. I never have and I've never had a problem. I guess I'll start now though and be thankful we've never had a problem.

Angie, after your post, I started doubting myself so I had to go look at one of my little blue canisters and it says . . . For best quality, refrigerate after opening. So it sounds more like a humidity/clumping issue rather than a spoilage issue.

buffettbride Enthusiast

I've seen the Kraft cheese stuff near the microwave popcorn.

Archived