13 replies to this topic

#1 stolly

stolly

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:46 PM

Any suggestions for how to make a cheddar chex mix with Health Valley Crumch Ems? Chedder chex mix was one of my DD's favorite snacks. Thanks!
Holly
DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08
DS3: negative blood tests
Me and DH: negative blood tests

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:50 PM

Kraft makes a canister with just the mac and cheese powder in it. Kraft is a company that will disclose all gluten so you could just read the label and if it doesn't say wheat or barley, you're go to go. I would just make the mix as usual, maybe omiting the worchestershire sauce(EDIT: for flavor reasons) and then sprinkle plenty of the cheese on and mix it when it comes out of the oven warm.

Maybe someone can recommend/ confirm a gluten-free cheese powder.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

Lea & Perkins Worchestire is gluten-free..........

#4 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

Kraft makes a canister with just the mac and cheese powder in it. Kraft is a company that will disclose all gluten so you could just read the label and if it doesn't say wheat or barley, you're go to go. I would just make the mix as usual, maybe omiting the worchestershire sauce(EDIT: for flavor reasons) and then sprinkle plenty of the cheese on and mix it when it comes out of the oven warm.

Maybe someone can recommend/ confirm a gluten-free cheese powder.

I wish I could find that Kraft Mac and Cheese powder around me....
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#5 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

I buy the whole box of Mac & Cheese and give the noodles away and use the cheese. I was hesitant to do this, but many people on this board said they have never gotten sick doing this, and neither has my son. You can buy the Mac & Cheese cheap at Costco or Walmart.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#6 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

Amanda, the only place I've ever seen it is at super WalMart. The one in Ephrata definitely carries it and I've never seen them run out. I buy them 15 at a time because I rarely get out that way and Tori likes cheese on EVERYTHING! They have it in a weird aisle (can't remember which one, but it makes little sense) so you may have to ask for help finding it. Anyway, if you don't ever get out this way, I can pick some up for you. I'm sure I'll be making more than one trip out to HersheyPark this summer. I'm out that way quite a bit if you want to meet me somewhere since you work in Hershey.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#7 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:41 PM

We use the cheese packets out of the Kraft mac and cheese. I bet if you modified a regular chex mix recipe like this one you could sub the cheese powder in. It would probably work pretty well.

Let us know if you try it and how it turns out. :)
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#8 bakingbarb

bakingbarb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:31 PM

The Spice house sells cheese pwd. I love everything I have bought from them, I have not used this but have been meaning to buy it. Yum, popcorn and cheese here I come!
~Barb
Gluten Free October 18, 2007
YIPPEE for Gluten free

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

Lea & Perkins Worchestire is gluten-free..........

Lea & Perrins is gluten free in the US - NOT in Canada. (just a little added detail :D )
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#10 Glutenfreefamily

Glutenfreefamily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

We use the cheese packets out of the Kraft mac and cheese. I bet if you modified a regular chex mix recipe like this one you could sub the cheese powder in. It would probably work pretty well.

Let us know if you try it and how it turns out. :)

Thanks for the link, I had no idea there were that many variations of chex mix treats.

#11 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:22 PM

Yeah . . . I was thinking about the Kraft blue canister of cheese as well. The ingredients are the same as the box of mac & cheese - cheese packet except that two of the ingredients (farther down on the list) are in a different order so apparently, there is a slight difference.

I did want to mention that after you open the canister, you are suppose to refrigerate the unused portion. With the box, you always use the whole packet so it doesn't have that info. So, if you use the Kraft powdered cheese, you may want to refrigerate your chex mix. Or perhaps only sprinkle it on the portion that you are sitting down to eat.

I have found the Kraft blue canister at Wal-Mart . . . just a regular Wal-Mart not a super Wal-Mart. It's located next to the parmesean cheese. It's smaller than the parmesean canister, blue, and would hold about three envelopes worth of cheese from the mac&cheese boxes.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#12 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

Wow, I never noticed that I said to refrigerate after opening. I never have and I've never had a problem. I guess I'll start now though and be thankful we've never had a problem.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#13 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:27 AM

Wow, I never noticed that I said to refrigerate after opening. I never have and I've never had a problem. I guess I'll start now though and be thankful we've never had a problem.

Angie, after your post, I started doubting myself so I had to go look at one of my little blue canisters and it says . . . For best quality, refrigerate after opening. So it sounds more like a humidity/clumping issue rather than a spoilage issue.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#14 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:52 AM

I've seen the Kraft cheese stuff near the microwave popcorn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: