This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Chocolate Chip Cookies

GRUMP 1

GRUMP 1 Contributor

Please I need a recipe for some easy to make Chocolate chip cookies.

Thank you,

Grump

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

glutenfreemeg Newbie

Glutenfreegirl just posted a recipe that looks so good, I haven't tried it yet though. I think on her site under the recipe list she has a different chocolate chip cookie recipe as well.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Grump--

I haven't tried this one, but it looks good--

Open Original Shared Link

celiac-mommy Collaborator

This is the only one I use any more. I've tweaked it so many times to make it perfect and simple--well, it's perfect to us...

Chocolate Chip Cookies

6 TBS butter

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2-1/2 cups Pamela's baking mix

1 12-ounce package (2 cups) semisweet chocolate pieces

Directions

In a large mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Beat mixture until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour. Stir in chocolate pieces and, if desired, nuts.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 60 cookies.

Enjoy! :D

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I have decided that one of my goals in life is to figure out a choc chip cooke recipe that is sweetened with honey. I've been without normal sugar for so long that it makes me feel ill at this point, and I'm jealous of all these choc chip cookie eaters. So, I will keep everyone posted should I succeed.

glutenfreemeg Newbie

This is one of my favorite cookie recipes from before I went gluten free. I found it on Mothering. If you want to try and tweak it to be gluten-free, let us know how it turns out!

Jose and Kristin's Chocolate Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

In a large bowl, mix together:

1 1/2 cups thick-cut oatmeal

2 cups plus 3 Tablespoons flour (I use a mixture of all-purpose and whole wheat)

1/4 cup flaxseed meal

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

In a mixing bowl, cream together the following, until consistent texture:

1.5 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened

1 cup honey

1/4 cup maple syrup

Beat in:

1 Tablespoon vanilla

1 cup peanut butter (the real stuff, nothing but ground peanuts - I use crunchy)

Add one at a time:

2 large eggs

Then add the dry stuff.

Add just until well combined:

one 12-ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips

6 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated or finely chopped

Put the whole shootin' match in the fridge for a while, to let it set up a bit. Form cookies into

balls and flatten the balls into cookie shapes.

Bake in a barely 325* oven until they're done (10-15 minutes). They'll brown a bit before they're

actually cooked inside - a result of the honey/maple syrup and flaxseed meal.

Makes about 60 smallish cookies.

CarolX Newbie

I use the Nestle Tollhouse receipe found on the back of the package, just substitue with gluten-free flour.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ChicoYaYa Newbie

Like CarolX, I just use the TollHouse recipe on the bag. I substitute a blend of sorghum/quinoa flour that also has some rice, amaranth, millet, and buckwheat.

I baked my cookies on a stoneware cookie sheet that also had a thin (silicone? I think) sheet on it, because the first pan I baked were hard to get off the sheet. I also let them bake a little longer than I usually did with wheat because they were just too gooey (I know, hard to imagine, but they were sliding through the rack!)

I only use butter, and brown sugar instead of white and brown.

Next time I am going to add a little coconut flour. But these were still pretty darn good, and I didn't see anyone turning up their noses at them!

2ofus2kids2dogs Apprentice

Celiac mommy - Rachelle :

I just wanted to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):D

I don't post much - but I read often and read through the chocolate chip cookie thread (of course).

Your recipe for your perfect chocolate chip cookies was AMAZING. I had just received a box of Pamela's baking and pancake mix and had everything on hand. My non-celiac family members loved them too.

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Melissa

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I'm so pleased you liked them as much as we do!!! It took me MANY batches to come up with that one (and 5 extra pounds to work off) :rolleyes:

brendygirl Community Regular

I have tried so many gluten free chocolate chip cookies and I don't like any.

Funny, I had just put some in the oven when I saw this. This time I tried "365" brand. Crumbly beyond belief. The dough didn't taste good, but the cookies had ok flavor.

Pamela's give me serious bloating. Must be the flours they use.

Gluten Freeda's frozen kind are not good. I've been trying to eat the frozen dough here and there just to get rid of it (so expensive, don't want to toss it).

I've tried several other brands of mixes (because I don't like to use my flour mixes up), to no avail. I may try a recipe that uses the gluten-free flour blend.

Is the texture good? Does it crumble when you take it off the cookie sheet? Does it taste buttery?

homeskoolmom Newbie

So Nestle Toll House chips are ok? I bought Walmart brand because it states gluten free but they are out. Not even one bag left. :( We wanted cookies today!

Is vanillin gluten free? Wasn't sure.

homeskoolmom

lovetocook Newbie

So Nestle Toll House chips are ok? I bought Walmart brand because it states gluten free but they are out. Not even one bag left. :( We wanted cookies today!

homeskoolmom

Did anyone else try the glutenfreegirl recipe? I made them over the weekend and they turned out terrible. I mean, the taste was okay but they were flat and ran all over the cookie sheet and they were really crumbly, did not hold together. I used Ghiradelli chips as called for in the recipe, they were really good. I didn't check the bag to see if they were gluten free but just assumed, since they were in the recipe! As far as vanilla, I'm not sure either. Things keep popping up with gluten that you don't expect.

glutenfreemeg Newbie
Did anyone else try the glutenfreegirl recipe? I made them over the weekend and they turned out terrible. I mean, the taste was okay but they were flat and ran all over the cookie sheet and they were really crumbly, did not hold together. I used Ghiradelli chips as called for in the recipe, they were really good. I didn't check the bag to see if they were gluten free but just assumed, since they were in the recipe! As far as vanilla, I'm not sure either. Things keep popping up with gluten that you don't expect.

Hey, I was coming here to post this same thing! I made the recipe in her recipe archives, the Ooey Gooey Chocolate chip cookies, the ones with the dagoba cocoa in it. I substituted regular cocoa, but still, they were not good! I was very sad! Did you use that recipe, or the Nina's Better than Wheat recipe? Because I wanted to try the Nina's one this week. I was pretty bummed, but my kids seemed to like them. They actually were better after the dough had sat in the fridge for a day or two. They didn't run as badly.

I bought some Pamela's baking mix this week so I'm going to try that as well, as everyone suggests. I just can't seem to get this craving for chocolate chip cookies out of my head!

CarolX Newbie

homeskoolmom

Yep - Toll House Chips are ok.

I don't know what vanillin is. If you meant "vanilla", only the real thing is gluten free - I wouldn't trust the imitatian stuff.

susieg-1 Apprentice
Yep - Toll House Chips are ok.

I don't know what vanillin is. If you meant "vanilla", only the real thing is gluten free - I wouldn't trust the imitatian stuff.

recipezaar has an awesome gluten-free choc chip cookie recipe that my cookie loving fiance is crazy about ( he does not need to eat gluten-free but does for my sake ) I have been thinking about buying Tom Sawyer gluten-free flour mix as it is supposed to exchange cup for cup with wheat flour and I hope will work for Toll House cookie recipe as the recipezaar recipe is really good but not the same as the Toll House that I can still remember.

Dyan Rookie

This is funny, I am actually baking cookies right now. I do believe I have a best recipe, gluten free or not. We live right around the corner from a Nestle bakery and my cookies are better. The recipe is from the Nearly Normal cookbook, but I think I found, and fixed, a flaw in the recipe.

1 stick butter, softened

1/4 lb. shortening

1 C brown sugar

1/2 C sugar

1 tsp salt

2 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

3 C nearly normal flour mix

12 oz. bag chocolate chips

Beat the butter and shortenig together, add sugars, salt, vanilla. Then add eggs, baking soda and powder. Then the flour. Stir in chips. Drop by teaspoons ful and bake 350 for 9-12 min. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack.

Nearly normal mix

1 C white rice flour

1 C potato starch

1 C cornstarch

1/2 corn flour

1/2 tapioca flour

4 tsp xanthan gum

The original recipe calls for only 2 1/4 cups flour and you couldn't even pick the cookies up. They tasted delicious if you wanted to eat your cookies with a spoon. And it may be my oven, but I bake for 15 -17 minutes. But I make them kind of big. They are so good.

susieg-1 Apprentice
This is funny, I am actually baking cookies right now. I do believe I have a best recipe, gluten free or not. We live right around the corner from a Nestle bakery and my cookies are better. The recipe is from the Nearly Normal cookbook, but I think I found, and fixed, a flaw in the recipe.

1 stick butter, softened

1/4 lb. shortening

1 C brown sugar

1/2 C sugar

1 tsp salt

2 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

Beat the butter and shortenig together, add sugars, salt, vanilla. Then add eggs, baking soda and powder. Then the flour. Stir in chips. Drop by teaspoons ful and bake 350 for 9-12 min. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack.

Nearly normal mix

1 C white rice flour

1 C potato starch

1 C cornstarch

1/2 corn flour

1/2 tapioca flour

4 tsp xanthan gum

The original recipe calls for only 2 1/4 cups flour and you couldn't even pick the cookies up. They tasted delicious if you wanted to eat your cookies with a spoon. And it may be my oven, but I bake for 15 -17 minutes. But I make them kind of big. They are so good.

I can't wait to try your improved recipe. I have corn flour in my gluten-free cuboard and never find use for it. It sounds lke this is my chance! Will try some today and post results and family reactions. Thanks

susieg-1 Apprentice

1 stick butter, softened

1/4 lb. shortening

1 C brown sugar

1/2 C sugar

1 tsp salt

2 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

Nearly normal mix

1 C white rice flour

1 C potato starch

1 C cornstarch

1/2 corn flour

1/2 tapioca flour

4 tsp xanthan gum

I am curious as to what else you use the Nearly normal flour mix for?

Dyan Rookie

I just re-read my post and realized I forgot to say its 1/2 C for the corn flour and tapioca flour.

The mix came from the Nearly Normal cookbook. I use it for a lot of stuff, I use it cup for cup as a replacement. There is a good 'graham cracker' recipe, and cornbread. I like the cookbook, but the one I use more is the gluten free kitchen. I like it because it uses only cornstarch (cheap at the grocery store) and potato starch.

rinne Apprentice
I have decided that one of my goals in life is to figure out a choc chip cooke recipe that is sweetened with honey. I've been without normal sugar for so long that it makes me feel ill at this point, and I'm jealous of all these choc chip cookie eaters. So, I will keep everyone posted should I succeed.

Hi, :)

I like this recipe:

Wet ingredients:

1/3 cup coconut oil

1/3 cup honey

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 egg

Dry ingredients:

1 cup amaranth flour

1/3 cup ground hazelnuts

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Additions:

1/3 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts

1/3 cup chocolate chips

Mix wet ingredients well, add dry ingredients once you have mixed them well also. Combine well, fold in nuts and chocolate chips, I used a small ice-cream scoop to form the cookies and then baked them for about 10 minutes (reversing front to back halfway through).

• 8 months later...
cindylouwho412 Newbie

hi, must be chocolate chip vibes in the air! i just made gluten-free choc chip cookies thi weekend. I use the nestle recipe too, but i acutally use a gluten free flour that i found on authenticfoods.com . it is an all purpose flour and it substitutes 1 for 1 for wheat flour. no need to add xanthum gum or anything..just the flour. the cookies were AMAZING!!!

happy snacking!

lou

SevenWishes Newbie
Hi Grump--

I haven't tried this one, but it looks good--

Open Original Shared Link

I made this recipe about a month or so ago. It is VERY good. The cookies are virtually identical to "normal" ones, and keep just as well, too. I recommend that recipe wholeheartedly.

Sandi* Apprentice

Recently I dicovered buckwheat flour and I am in love with it! Usually my dough turned out dry and grainy when using rice flour but not with buckwheat! I used a recipe from the Neiman Marcus website (everyone's heard the urban legend, right?) and just substituted the flours. I live in Europe now and unfortunatelly here it's OK for manufacturers to use de-proteinized wheat flour to get gluten-free flour. Well, since I can't tollerate wheat (gluten or not), I can't use the mixes anyway.

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened

1 cup light brown sugar

3 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 large egg

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1-3/4 cups buckwheat flour

1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder

1-1/2 cups gluten-free semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cream the butter with the sugars using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (approximately 30 seconds)

2. Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract for another 30 seconds.

3. In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture at low speed for about 15 seconds. Stir in the espresso coffee powder and chocolate chips.

4. Using a 1 ounce scoop or a 2 tablespoon measure, drop cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Gently press down on the dough with the back of a spoon to spread out into a 2 inch circle. Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned around the edges. Bake a little longer for a crispier cookie.

nasalady Contributor

I made this recipe about a month or so ago. It is VERY good. The cookies are virtually identical to "normal" ones, and keep just as well, too. I recommend that recipe wholeheartedly.

I have tried SEVERAL gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipes from this forum, including celiac-mommy's (which is very good by the way), but the Land o' Lakes recipe in the link above is absolutely amazing!! My husband says he can hardly tell the difference between those and my "normal" chocolate chip cookies.

I was famous for my chocolate chip cookies before going gluten free! ;)

The only modification I made was to use half butter and half butter-flavored shortening to replace the butter in the recipe. I just made a batch a few days ago and they are nearly gone. :(

The Land O' Lakes recipe for gluten free chocolate chip cookies is the best one out there by far.

JoAnn

Archived