4 replies to this topic

#1 LeahKristen

LeahKristen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

when first diagnosed with celiac is it beneficial to go to a nutritionist? I'm really afraid of not getting the right nutrition or gaining weight!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

IF you can find a nutritionist who knows celiac, it may be helpful. Most here have found the nutritionist they went to see knows less than they do - they'd hand you a printout of what not to eat that you can get on this site and tell you to eat rice crispies with malt and good luck! I have found that this site is far more valuable than what you can get from most nutritionists. If you're worried about making sure you're getting enough protein, fat, carbs, vitamins then seeing a nutritionist may be worth your time, but if you want to post what you eat here, we'd be happy to make suggestions!
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#3 Salty

Salty

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:24 PM

I think it is very helpful to find a nutritionist who specializes in Celiac Disease. There have been and will continue to be changes in food labeling laws and a nutritionist who is up to date on everything celiac will know how to help you. This site has been extremely helpful for me, HOWEVER, I think it is important to remember that no one chatting here is a doctor and there are many people who will swear that you can not go anywhere near food that have been proven to not have gluten. So be careful what you listen to and do your research, but this site is an incredible resource.

#4 marilyn

marilyn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:19 AM

The Dietitian Community has made many efforts over the past several years to update their members - throw out what we were told 20 years ago and get educated. There is not a certification for Registered Dietitians for celiac disease so, by asking questions and hearing what they have to offer you can determine if they can be helpful to you.

There is a strong family history of celiac disease which has motivated me to become as knowledgable as possible and I began a celiac disease Support Group and I learn a ton from them also. I am fortunate that I can visit this website to learn as much as possible to pass on the the members and all of the outpatient and the public that are unaware and still suffering.

An RD can be extremely helpful with weight management issues and pediatric problems such as failure to thrive with our youngsters suffering from celiac disease.

Marilyn McCall, RD.LD
Iowa

#5 Glutina

Glutina

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:59 AM

Hi---
I am switching careers and becoming a registered holistic nutritionist---at least you guys can know there wil be at least ONE nutritionist out there who knows all about celiac!!

:)

-Glutina
-Recently diagnosed with extreme gluten sensitivity
-Celiac test results: negative
-In and out of hospitals and doctors offices for past 5 years with stomach/digestive issues
-Eating disordered past (this most likely triggered gluten issues G.I. thinks)

Symptoms when glutened: Diah. and Cons.; cramping/uncomfortable abdomen; rash on forehead; extreme fatigue; sometimes excruciating abdominal pain; feeling of weakness; acid reflux

**New to the gluten free way of living, but feeling like my old, healthy self again!!**

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: