28 replies to this topic

#16 itchygirl

itchygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

Just footnoting Ursa in case anybody wants to look further. Short Chain fatty acids and colon health is a wayyy interesting topic!
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17133085
I don't eat gluten and neither do my cats

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 gluten15

gluten15

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:41 PM

How are you guys making your own popcorn with olive oil? That sounds really good! I have an air popper, but the popcorn has absolutely no flavor, so I don't eat it very often.

Well..while I am reluctant to say anything anymore because anytime I suggest something..you would think I know nothing since someone always follows with a remark as why not to do.

I actually pop mine on the stove with really good pure virgin coconut oil and sea salt. The coconut oil is really good for you too..so a added benefit and you aren't cooking in bad oil. Win..win.

#18 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

Well..while I am reluctant to say anything anymore because anytime I suggest something..you would think I know nothing since someone always follows with a remark as why not to do.

I actually pop mine on the stove with really good pure virgin coconut oil and sea salt. The coconut oil is really good for you too..so a added benefit and you aren't cooking in bad oil. Win..win.

That sounds great, and very healthy! Olive oil really shouldn't be heated, as it becomes toxic at high temperatures. But coconut oil is extremely heat stable, and is the best cooking oil there is.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#19 gluten15

gluten15

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:56 PM

My mother died of colon cancer... I am double DQ1

Flax is not for everyone, I would check it out before adding to your diet.

I do not eat grains, (except occasional corn tortilla maybe once a week-my weekend indulgence) if you do not eat grains - you will eat a lot of fresh fruit & veggies & meat & nuts.
dried fruits are also a good snack & a source of fiber...

I have also eliminated corn syrup from my diet, & make my own ketchup out of tomato paste - & you will have to look to find a brand that only has tomatoes...

I also only drink water.

Well..Flax is really good for almost everyone. Why don't you post what you have heard for us?
Flax is one of the best things many can add to thier diet..but it goes without saying that not everything is for everyone and we all should check out EVERYTHING before adding it to our diet.
Flaxseed OIL yes..be careful with this..but flaxseed..hmmm
For MOST the numerous benefits of flax seed outway the bad.

Be careful with the dried fruit. Raises the sugar content and most are done with sulfites. It also should be from a organic source as many fruits are the most oversprayed. It's also higher in carbs and calories unless that's what you are looking for.

#20 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

That sounds great, and very healthy! Olive oil really shouldn't be heated, as it becomes toxic at high temperatures. But coconut oil is extremely heat stable, and is the best cooking oil there is.

I wish I could tolerate coconut oil, but I get very ill from coconut.

I use light olive oil for things like popcorn--it has a higher smoke point than, say extra virgin.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#21 itchygirl

itchygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

Uh... does this mean I should not mention how good popcorn is with bacon grease? :lol:

#22 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:45 PM

beans, lentils, gluten-free whole grains, vegetables (lots of those!), flax meal is good in lots of things, and the like. starchy stuff screws with my blood sugar, so I can't have it anyway... :/
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#23 sansglutengrl

sansglutengrl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:41 AM

Wow! Thanks everyone - I have some great ideas to run with! I think I was getting frustrated because I was thinking around meals, but I'm realizing now that you can fit fiber in as a snack, etc. etc. it doesn't have to be a bowl full of horse feed for breakfast. :)

Two questions: gfpaperdoll - what is "double DQ1"

And everyone else - I've cut out almost 100% of processed food out of my diet - for the most part, thanks to the organic craze - I've moved to almost entirely organic foods... But I'm curious about corn sugar - this can be found in some organic food, right? Is this something that I need to cut out as well?

Ok, one more - has anyone tried the raw foods thing?

Thanks all! I hope it's not raining where you are - I think if I don't see the sun soon I might lose my mind. :o

#24 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:13 AM

And everyone else - I've cut out almost 100% of processed food out of my diet - for the most part, thanks to the organic craze - I've moved to almost entirely organic foods... But I'm curious about corn sugar - this can be found in some organic food, right? Is this something that I need to cut out as well?

Ok, one more - has anyone tried the raw foods thing?

Thanks all! I hope it's not raining where you are - I think if I don't see the sun soon I might lose my mind. :o

High fructose corn syrup is one of the WORST sugars out there. It is more unhealthy than just normal white sugar and should be avoided at all cost. http://articles.merc...e-part-one.aspx

I can't do the 'raw foods thing', because I can't tolerate too much raw food at a time. A few carrots once in a while, and a (peeled) pear every day or every second day is it. I probably never will be able to eat a lot of raw food, I imagine due to permanent damage from undiagnosed gluten intolerance for fifty years.

Well, the sun was shining here a few minutes ago, but we still have a ton of snow on the ground (despite it pouring rain all day two days ago). It was snowing a little a couple of hours ago.

Spring will come soon, but not that soon where I am.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#25 babysteps

babysteps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:54 AM

good 'starter' popcorn method (well, works for me) - roughly 1:3 oil-to-popcorn (similar to what it says on the popcorn package; I use olive oil, my mother used pan drippings - so yes, bacon fat is yummy!!). I use a stockpot on the stove top. Put oil in pot with 3 kernels of popcorn, cover with lid, set heat on medium (I use "7" out of "1-12" on my stove). When all 3 kernels pop, add the rest of the popcorn. Then shake constantly until popping stops (or popcorn reaches lid :lol: ). Yum

Raw food, spouse & I did modified 'purification' diet (similar to a caveman diet - more raw than most, but not strictly raw) for 3 weeks this winter - raw fruit, mostly raw veggies (some were "okay" to steam, for example asparagus and even broccoli), some vitamin supplements, okay to cook brown rice, eggs, lean meat; a very little bit of flax oil or olive oil. And that was IT - no salt, no pepper, no spices (herbs okay), no nuts, no seeds. Drink only spring or filtered water, etc. Anyway, details aren't as important (there are many similar 'diets', each with their own rules) as that we actually felt really good. And no CC! However it is a hassle - can't really eat out unless you are in LA or NYC and have a raw food restaurant nearby ;)
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

#26 gfpaperdoll

gfpaperdoll

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

I thankfully am allergic to flax seed. So I have not been tempted to try it. I do not know one single food that is good for everyone... I personally believe it is not healthy along the same vein that I do not think that soy is healthy. Just my opninion. I am also allergic to oats, so I am not going to be checking into any oats...

I have two copies of the gluten intolerant gene DQ1.

I also use bacon fat to fry things in or coconut oil. Both are delicious. & yes, if I am going to eat any popcorn, I pop my own, in a stainless steel pan. I do not want to eat the chemicals that are in the melted microwave bags... But I do not have any research on this - just my personal opinion. The same with eating any food heated up in plastic or styrofoam - I am just not going to eat it. Also, not going to eat anything out of a teflon pan.

I get organic dried fruit that has no additives. I have no problems with sugar, I think it is because I do not eat grains. & really I have no sugar or corn syrup unless I am having a See's chocolate. My last treat from the processed world. I use honey in most of my cooking.

I gave up corn syrup about 2 years ago - which was the best thing I ever did for myself.

#27 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:43 AM

I thankfully am allergic to flax seed. So I have not been tempted to try it. I do not know one single food that is good for everyone... I personally believe it is not healthy along the same vein that I do not think that soy is healthy. Just my opninion. I am also allergic to oats, so I am not going to be checking into any oats...

I know this is off-topic, but could you point me in the direction of the info you've found to make you feel the same way about flaxseed as you do about soy? I agree with you about soy, but haven't done any research into flaxseed.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#28 itchygirl

itchygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

If you're interested in possible negatives with flaxseed,one place to start researching is the topic of cyanogenic glycosides. Other lists I'm on have argued this to death, back from the dead and to death again :lol:
Here is a little bit to get you started
http://www.agricultu...9f-d3ceca667147
I will now back carefully away from this topic and go hide in the corner with my bacon B)

#29 gfpaperdoll

gfpaperdoll

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

In most of the books that I have read they keep coming back to the same thing, grains are not good for you. I put flax seed, oats, & soy in the same category as grains.

Flax seed may do some people a world of good, but I am not one of those people & I do not think that they are good for everyone. Also, if you read "Good Calories Bad calories" you will see how these supposedly heathly foods end up being recommended to the general public & how the medical community picks up the dogma & follows along... Flax seed is the new "soy" of today!!! 10 years from now it will be something else...

I think it is better to eat a wholesome diet with kale, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes - raw & cooked, carrots, sweet potatoes, jicama... - which I think are the top healthy veggies, for me anyway. I skip spinach in favor of kale.

I think that you could skip the flax seed & have a breakfast with some bacon and/or sausage, couple fried eggs or scrambled and some fresh fruit and nuts.

I think that if a person is eating white potatoes, dairy, sugar, corn syrup & grains, & downing all that with a diet coke, & not trying to improve their diet that it is not going to matter if they eat flax seed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: