This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fiber!

sansglutengrl

gfpaperdoll Rookie

I thankfully am allergic to flax seed. So I have not been tempted to try it. I do not know one single food that is good for everyone... I personally believe it is not healthy along the same vein that I do not think that soy is healthy. Just my opninion. I am also allergic to oats, so I am not going to be checking into any oats...

I have two copies of the gluten intolerant gene DQ1.

I also use bacon fat to fry things in or coconut oil. Both are delicious. & yes, if I am going to eat any popcorn, I pop my own, in a stainless steel pan. I do not want to eat the chemicals that are in the melted microwave bags... But I do not have any research on this - just my personal opinion. The same with eating any food heated up in plastic or styrofoam - I am just not going to eat it. Also, not going to eat anything out of a teflon pan.

I get organic dried fruit that has no additives. I have no problems with sugar, I think it is because I do not eat grains. & really I have no sugar or corn syrup unless I am having a See's chocolate. My last treat from the processed world. I use honey in most of my cooking.

I gave up corn syrup about 2 years ago - which was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I thankfully am allergic to flax seed. So I have not been tempted to try it. I do not know one single food that is good for everyone... I personally believe it is not healthy along the same vein that I do not think that soy is healthy. Just my opninion. I am also allergic to oats, so I am not going to be checking into any oats...

I know this is off-topic, but could you point me in the direction of the info you've found to make you feel the same way about flaxseed as you do about soy? I agree with you about soy, but haven't done any research into flaxseed.

itchygirl Newbie

If you're interested in possible negatives with flaxseed,one place to start researching is the topic of cyanogenic glycosides. Other lists I'm on have argued this to death, back from the dead and to death again :lol:

Here is a little bit to get you started

Open Original Shared Link

I will now back carefully away from this topic and go hide in the corner with my bacon B)

gfpaperdoll Rookie

In most of the books that I have read they keep coming back to the same thing, grains are not good for you. I put flax seed, oats, & soy in the same category as grains.

Flax seed may do some people a world of good, but I am not one of those people & I do not think that they are good for everyone. Also, if you read "Good Calories Bad calories" you will see how these supposedly heathly foods end up being recommended to the general public & how the medical community picks up the dogma & follows along... Flax seed is the new "soy" of today!!! 10 years from now it will be something else...

I think it is better to eat a wholesome diet with kale, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes - raw & cooked, carrots, sweet potatoes, jicama... - which I think are the top healthy veggies, for me anyway. I skip spinach in favor of kale.

I think that you could skip the flax seed & have a breakfast with some bacon and/or sausage, couple fried eggs or scrambled and some fresh fruit and nuts.

I think that if a person is eating white potatoes, dairy, sugar, corn syrup & grains, & downing all that with a diet coke, & not trying to improve their diet that it is not going to matter if they eat flax seed.

Archived