This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trader Joe's Ingredients / problems

pixiegirl

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I just wanted to reinterate that we need to check labels constantly. I went to Trader Joe's yesterday and right when you walk in the door they have a gluten-free food list of various products in the store that are gluten-free, it lists a lot of Trader Joe products.

One product on the list was "Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce" I found it on the shelf and looked at the ingredients, one was soy and it said in ( ) that it contained wheat! I went to the store manager and was told that gluten is only in white flour and that the wheat in the soy must be wheat flour?? I asked them where they got that information and was told that the store takes food issues very carefully and were trained as such. I told them that information was just not correct and they told me that I was wrong and perhaps need to talk to my doctor to understand my issues better!

So just be careful. I'm going to write to Trader Joe's this morning but I was stunned.

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FreyaUSA Contributor

Ugh. :huh: Thank you for this information. (Brb, I have to go scream in my pillow now.)

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Very crazy.

flagbabyds Collaborator

A while back they had rice krispie treats on in that had barley malt in it, they took that off it like a 2 years ago

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I just read on another list that Trader Joe's brand of gluten-free pasta is not made on a dedicated assembly line... not sure if thats fact or not. Trader Joes makes it hard to complain, you have to put it in writing and send it snail mail. Sigh.

Susan

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I bought 2 items at Trader Joes and they are not on their gluten-free list but as we discussed in a previous post the list they offer is not up to date.

The first is called Thai Coconut simmer sauce... the ingredients are as follows:

water, coconut milk, sea salt, sugar, cilantro, garlic, ginger, tamarind, lime juice, arrowroot, shredded coconut, black pepper, crushed red pepper, lemon grass, mint leaves, xanthan gum.

The second product is also a trader Joes brand and its

Genova Pesto... ingredients are: Olive oil, basil, imported parmesan cheese (cows milk, enzymes, salt) Imported Romano Cheese (Sheeps milk, culture, enzymes, salt) Walnuts, Garlic, Black Pepper, sea salt.

I guess I'm hoping someone has tried these or knows about them, but the ingredients sound ok.... right?

Thanks, Susan

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

They don't seem too odd. . .call the company to make sure though!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kactuskandee Apprentice

Susan, I too have found things on their shelves that appear gluten-free but aren't listed in the gluten-free list.

I don't think they take the gluten-free issue as seriously as they should. For one I love their supplements but have given up since I can't find out if some of the ones I like are gluten-free or not. The label doesn't say.

Don't get me wrong, I love Trader Joes and for me it's a $100 store since that's about how much I spend each time there. Good thing I'm a one hr. drive away and not any closer.

I know that Whole Foods take the gluten-free issue VERY seriously. (check their web site, it's quite extensive) because they have company members that are Celiac. The Atlanta branch is making their own line of gluten-free bread and hope to spread it to other stores over time.

As for TJ's I think the more of us that write snail mail letters the more it will get their attention. If you can afford a stamp and want to see changes, write them. They are privately owned and don't have to listen to stock holders, and that may be one of the problems. There is strength in numbers.............let's band together if we want to see TJ's be gluten-free accountable!!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Kandee

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Hi Kandee,

Yes I am going to write to them, started the letter yesterday.. they are right in my back yard so if I can help educate them I am willing to. I happen to love Whole Foods far more then Trader Joe's not only do they take the gluten-free issue more seriously but the store I go to is HUGE. It has everything. However its almost an hour drive to Whole Foods for me but I do go about once every 3 weeks or so, thankfully its located in a fantastic shopping center with great stores (j jill, singred olsen, coldwater creek, gap, tons more).

Susan

SharonF Contributor

I wasn't impressed with the Trader Joe's I went to recently. I was hoping they would have all their gluten-free stuff grouped together, instead of scattered throughout the store.

I wish we had a Whole Foods where I live, but I'll make do with my local grocery store's health market (which is actually pretty good).

kactuskandee Apprentice

Susan, If I had a WF like you did, in with all the other fantastic stores right there, I'd go frequently as well!! But unfortunately they are like a 3 hr. drive away.

Just learned that TJ's is scheduled to come to my neighborhood but not till 2007!!!

Dang, will still have to make that drive AND it's not near any neat stores!!

BTW, have you ever tried Trader Joes Sunflower Nut butter?...........OMG, it's to die for. I can't have PB (hypothyroid) so this, to me, tastes VERY much like peanut butter. I don't know how they do it. Try it if you haven't already..............................yum...

Sharon, sorry you were disappointed with TJ's. It's one of those stores that grows on you................especially because of the prices. I just wish they'd take gluten-free more seriously. :angry:

Kandee

• 2 weeks later...
SharonF Contributor

Why can't you have peanut butter due to hypothyroid? My mom was just diagnosed wtih this, so I don't know much about it.

Boojca Apprentice

Um, I have a hypothyroid and there's no reason I can't have peanut butter. In fact, I eat it quite a bit and am THRIVING. My thyroid is back to it's normal size, I feel great, etc....

Bridget

kactuskandee Apprentice

Go to the about.com message boards on thyroid disease, Mary Shoman leads it and has written some very extensive articles and books on the subject, and constantly updates the web site with new research, including alt. medicine. There is a wealth of information there once you start following the links.

Soy and peanuts have an estrogenic affect that can be detrimental to a person who is hypothyroid. There is new finding that green tea is not wise either. And uncooked or under-cooked cruciferous veggies should not be consumed often either by someone who is hypothyroid.

It's a bummer since I love all those things that we should be cautious about eating, but having gone from just being hypothyroid for over 16 years to chronic sub-acute thryroiditis attacks (I wouldn't wish those on ANYONE), I'm going to trust the expert's advise more than my my own.

Bridget..congrats on getting back to normal thyroid function and size, and more importantly, feeling great!!!

Kandee

Archived