Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Nightmares

7 posts in this topic

hey,

Has anyone else noticed a correlation between gluten intolerance, being gluttened and nightmares. I just started thinking about this the other day. My DD gets nightmares and has some other symptoms of gluten intolerance. We are awaiting test results. I Have had nightmares on and off my whole life. Thinking back on it, I had more during times of greater illness. This past winter I was eating way more gluten than I usually did- EVERYTHING in my life got worse, including nightmares. I was also sooo depressed, joints hurt, starting getting D(was always a IBS with constipation girl), my rash came back, and I itched everywhere. This week I think I got gluttened (or have another food problem) cause I got terrible joint pain, upset stomach, fatigue,And nightmares!

Just wondering if it is just me. I definately know it affects my behavior and mood....VAST improvement off gluten and no more PMS

Ads by Google:

Well...

For the last 2 years (that is when my gluten problems bacame more severe) I kept having HUGE trouble with nightmares. I mean huge......I could not sleep, kept having dreams with dead people and my x boyfriend would send me sleep in my house cause I would usually wake up 4-5 times/ night screaming and crying. He also had that feeling I should visit a shrink....anyway.....

Now I've been gluten-free for 4 months and ALL THE NIGHTMARES went away. So yes I really think celiac was the problem..And 3 weeks ago when I glutened my self by accident for 3 days (....) I noticed that my mood was exactly like "I am going to kill everyone right now, stop having fun all of you"......and it was not because I was in pain, cause I was not in pain.....It was just the effect of gluten on my nerves.

Hope you never see any bad dreams again.....

Yes, I used to have nightmares all my life, for 50 years! There have been times when I would have ten nightmares a night, and be afraid to even go to bed. They were evil, and I woke up terrified, usually as something or somebody was killing me.

They stopped when I eliminated gluten. Now I only get nightmares after I have been glutened.

My youngest daughter (who is gluten intolerant) also used to get horrible nightmares.

I KNOW the nightmares and gluten are connected, there is no doubt in my mind.

For me, I think the two are related. I used to have nightmares constantly. They got better when I was on antidepressants and medicine for anxiety, but I still had them from time to time. I have been gluten free since October 2007 and no longer need the antidepressants or the anxiety medication. The only nightmares I've had since then have been when I've been accidentally glutened. I know everybody's range of symptoms is different, and for me, my mental state is affected the most when I'm glutened. I am insanely irritable, moody, depressed, I cry at the drop of the hat, can't concentrate, feel worthless, etc. I tend to think that my nightmares are a result of my anxiety and depression from being glutened, not from the gluten itself. If that makes any sense.

yes, that makes perfect sense. I have so much anxiety, depression, mood swings etc. Now that I am off gluten I feel kind of stale. No mood swings with their low lows and terrific highs. But that is fine by me!!! I am glad some have found relief like me. I hope it helps my daughter too.

I checked out that link

"the immune changes in celiac disease are unlikely to play a role in Alzheimer's disease. In control groups none was positive for anti-endomysium antibodies."

FINALLY some good news