3 replies to this topic

#1 Smedina

Smedina

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

I was at Wild Oats today and found something called Gluten-Zyme, its supposed to help wtih gluten digestion, similiar to the lactose intolerance pills.
I was just wondering if any one had tried it or similar?
From what I've been reading online they are saying its for intolerance but not for Coeliac (I had one of those moments why exactly they were saying celiac is an allergy and not intolerance)
But I was wondering how bad your intolerance has to be before it stops working..

My celiac was diagnosed in April '06 ish when I was 18 and I have been struggling to be gluten free ever since.
I was just hoping that this medicine would be enough to handle accidental gluten intakes.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 itchygirl

itchygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:13 PM

I dunno. That formula depends on Protease to denature the gluten protein. I take 120,000 IU of Protease with each meal, and its never helped with gluten symptoms. :(
I don't eat gluten and neither do my cats

#3 Smedina

Smedina

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:13 AM

Thats what I figured, thanks anyways

#4 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

I would not recommend using any type of enzyme to consume gluten with Celiac Disease. However, if you're just using it to cover for possible cross contamination it may be helpful.

I'm taking Peptizyde which contains high amounts of DPPIV....the enzyme which is necessary for the digestion of gluten and casein (I do not have Celiac). It also contains large amounts of proteases. It was specifically designed for breaking down gluten and casein but works on all proteins (meat, soy, etc.).

We can be intolerant to gluten if there is something inhibiting the DPPIV enzyme...taking an enzyme which contains DPPIV can improve that situation. Other enzymes can help with additional food intolerances. I also take No Fenol to help break down phenols which I'm very reactive to.

I chose Peptizyde because of the DPPIV and because it has shown to be very effective with autistic children. Many no longer require a Gluten-free Casein-free diet while on the enzymes and then go on to continue with a normal diet without even requiring the use of the enzymes (after the gut has healed).

These are NOT cases of Celiac and the enzymes are never recommended to be used in place of a Gluten-free Casein-free diet. For those parents who have chosen to abandon the diet many have found the enzymes are effective in eliminating symptoms.

Many who are gluten intolerant (non-celiac) are reactive because of an inability to breakdown the foods (enzyme deficiencies) that trigger immune response. This inflammation can lead to leaky gut. Under these circumstances enzymes can promote healing by improving digestion.
Rachel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: