This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This Normal, And What Should I Do?

Guest hightop girl

Guest hightop girl

I was diagnosed in July, but I really didn't realize that gluten is EVERYWHERE. I was one of those people that actually gain when they eat gluten. I have been being really careful, and lost about 25 lbs. I am getting ready for a 1/2 ironman in June, and have suddenly gained 5 back. I am worried that I will start gaining out of control. I don't eat the gluten free cookies or bread. I have been really just following the elimination diet to figure out what else is causing my stomach pain and bloating. So I eat mostly fish, vegetables and fruit... I'll admit a few potato chips also cross my lips. Does this sound like a normal gain? What have you found that works?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HAK1031 Enthusiast

I wouldn't be worried unless the gain gets out of hand. It's likely even muscle gain from your training. The only suspect thing is the chips- only the lay's stax brands are really gluten-free, and many members have issues with other chips.

Guest hightop girl

This whole Gluten free thing is so difficult when you are just starting out. I will look for Lays Stax. I think what I have are ruffles plain chips they only list potatoes, sunflower oil, and salt. Am I missing something?

Jestgar Rising Star

some people think there are cc issues. I have a lot of reactions to food, but my gluten reactions are very specific. I have problems with potato chips, but they aren't gluten problems. So I don't really know what the problem with the chips is, but you might want to avoid them for a while, especially while you're training.

MDRB Explorer

A lot of people recently diagnosed with celiacs have problems dealing with fatty foods at least until their body heals itself. When I was diagnosed, I found it really confusing trying to understand the ingredients lists on foods. So I cut out all processed foods unless they were specifically labeled as gluten free. This might be a good option for you. It means more work preparing meals but it might make a difference. Also try checking things like the toothpaste, mouthwash, lipstick, even hand creams. Anything that comes anywhere near your hands or mouth could be ingested and cause symptoms.

Good Luck :)

Guest hightop girl

I found the Lays Stax and I have been ok with some brand of sweet potato chips. I definitely got into some gluten. I woke up this morning, after having a whole night of the runs and have gained 3 pounds. This weight thing is like adding insult to injury.

Kritter Rookie

I don't know how many of you might already be aware of this, but my Allergist told me that potatos (thusly, also potato chips) have a lot of naturally occuring msg. This isn't the msg that is added - but the kind that occurs naturally in things like peas, mushrooms, potatos, and espcially parmesan cheese. If you are sensitive to msg in other things - maybe that's what you are reacting to in the chips?

Kritter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest hightop girl

That actually makes a lot of sense because all of those things make me feel bloated and retain water. Hmmm... that is very helpful. Thanks a lot!

kitten37 Newbie

Is this the 1st event you have trained for?

Do you have a trainer working with you?

Chart your daily intake (absolutely everything that goes in your mouth) in a diary an outside eye may be able to spot a pattern or issue you are unaware of.

Have you gone up in muscle/fat ratio if you are training you may be building more muscle putting you up on the scale a bit.

How is your energy level while training consistent/getting more tired/getting better the more you train.

With the extra training have you upped your water intake to compensate for the extra water loss?

Also do you cater your diet to your training schedule? Eating certain things at certain times to help the process

Guest hightop girl
Is this the 1st event you have trained for?

Do you have a trainer working with you?

Chart your daily intake (absolutely everything that goes in your mouth) in a diary an outside eye may be able to spot a pattern or issue you are unaware of.

Have you gone up in muscle/fat ratio if you are training you may be building more muscle putting you up on the scale a bit.

How is your energy level while training consistent/getting more tired/getting better the more you train.

With the extra training have you upped your water intake to compensate for the extra water loss?

Also do you cater your diet to your training schedule? Eating certain things at certain times to help the process

I have trained for shorter triathlons, marathons and century bike rides in the past. I had to lay off for about a year because the celiac thing caused me to be so anemic. (I thought I was running, but people that saw me always asked if I needed help...LOL) I don't have a trainer, but I have been thinking about it. I just follow a plan I found online, with some adjustments for already running and biking a lot. The swimming part is what is completely new. I guess in reality, there are more numbers to look at than the one on the scale. At least that is what I would tell someone. I am back in slacks and jeans that I wore when I was 10 lbs smaller, but shirts and jackets are tight in the shoulders. That is probably weight gain from swimming and adding shoulder muscle. I am so obsessive that I hate to do a food diary, but I think I am going to have to. I think the "little snack" here and there are adding up to more calories than I think. My energy is actually good. I am always a little surprised. After being anemic for so long, it is amazing how a little oxygen in the blood (especially if you live at 7500 ft) will make you feel better. You have a good point about adjusting food intake with the output for the day or week. I just eat the same things pretty much everyday, so some days it is probably more than I need and others not enough. Thanks. I will give this some thought.

kitten37 Newbie

Also something to keep in mind swimming is hitting your whole body. So you may actually bulk a little bit before burning off excess.

Wish you all the best in balancing out. GL on the iron man...I wish I could do something like that but can only run on an eliptical after a sports injury years ago.

Ivanna44 Apprentice
I was diagnosed in July, but I really didn't realize that gluten is EVERYWHERE. I was one of those people that actually gain when they eat gluten. I have been being really careful, and lost about 25 lbs. I am getting ready for a 1/2 ironman in June, and have suddenly gained 5 back. I am worried that I will start gaining out of control. I don't eat the gluten free cookies or bread. I have been really just following the elimination diet to figure out what else is causing my stomach pain and bloating. So I eat mostly fish, vegetables and fruit... I'll admit a few potato chips also cross my lips. Does this sound like a normal gain? What have you found that works?

Hi hightop girl,

Yes, gluten is EVERYWHERE! as you put it. Congrats on losing the 25 lbs. I would not be worried about the 5 pounds gain, you have most likely gained it, due to intensive working out. As you mentioned you are getting ready for an "ironman" competition in June. Lean muscle mass weights more than fat. Let's face it, better to gain muscle than a "ring of fat" lol.

I would not be overly concerned about gaining muscle mass. You need to train quite hard to be able to have the endurance for such a race. Just keep in mind, as long as keep up some type of toning after the ironman is done, you should be fine. Extensive training gains lean muscle mass and low body fat ratios. But, if you suddenly stop working out your body, will still think it will "burn it off later in the day" :( And it will start to "store energy" to burn later. But, if its not burned off, it turns into "stored fat." Let's face it, none of us wants fat. LOL.

Good luck on the "ironman" competition

:)

Guest hightop girl
Hi hightop girl,

Yes, gluten is EVERYWHERE! as you put it. Congrats on losing the 25 lbs. I would not be worried about the 5 pounds gain, you have most likely gained it, due to intensive working out. As you mentioned you are getting ready for an "ironman" competition in June. Lean muscle mass weights more than fat. Let's face it, better to gain muscle than a "ring of fat" lol.

I would not be overly concerned about gaining muscle mass. You need to train quite hard to be able to have the endurance for such a race. Just keep in mind, as long as keep up some type of toning after the ironman is done, you should be fine. Extensive training gains lean muscle mass and low body fat ratios. But, if you suddenly stop working out your body, will still think it will "burn it off later in the day" :( And it will start to "store energy" to burn later. But, if its not burned off, it turns into "stored fat." Let's face it, none of us wants fat. LOL.

Good luck on the "ironman" competition

:)

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am also a mom of 2 and 44 yrs. old. I am new to trying to be gluten free, and my family is not gluten free. Right now that means cooking 2 separate meals. They are very supportive these days. They are seeing the difference it is making in my health.

Archived