This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Quinoa Recipe

SpikeMoore

SpikeMoore Apprentice

I did suceed with a healthy and yummy quinoa invention...

cooked quinoa, canned tomatoes, red kidney beans, corn niblets and a dab of butter. Makes a "soup".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wonka Apprentice

I made a nice dish with quinoa the other day. I added chopped dried mango, toasted pinenuts and shallots that had been sauted in a mix of butter and olive oil. I've done these same additions to rice too.

sickchick Community Regular

MMM sounds good both of you! B)

Made some pseudo beef stew and used stew meat, organic mushroom broth, whole mushrooms, onions, garlic, brussels sprouts, carrots and a handful of frozen peas cooked it with quinoa and it was yummy!

be well!

:)

sarad1 Apprentice

I was sitting in my doctor's office this afternoon and they have a tv on at all times with a health watch tv program. There was a lady on there talking about how good quinoa is for you, and she made a dish that looked delicious! She had some cooked quinoa, and made her own version of a fresh pesto (she basically said to make it however you like it) and then some sauteed veggies, like peppers and onions. She mixed this all together to serve cold as a salad, it looked delicious! My mouth has been watering since I left there...which is odd because I was there because I've been sick as a dog for 2 days and couldn't even hold down toast.

sarad1 Apprentice
MMM sounds good both of you! B)

Made some pseudo beef stew and used stew meat, organic mushroom broth, whole mushrooms, onions, garlic, brussels sprouts, carrots and a handful of frozen peas cooked it with quinoa and it was yummy!

be well!

Collette, this sounds amazing! I absolutely love mushrooms. I made a beef stew last week that was delicious, but would have never thought to serve with quinoa. Thanks for the ideas!

ChicoYaYa Newbie

I borrowed/adapted an idea from GlutenFreeGirl and used some cooked quinoa to make a frittata. I saut

sarad1 Apprentice
I borrowed/adapted an idea from GlutenFreeGirl and used some cooked quinoa to make a frittata. I saut

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Collette, this sounds amazing! I absolutely love mushrooms. I made a beef stew last week that was delicious, but would have never thought to serve with quinoa. Thanks for the ideas!

Well since I have been 'potato free' I was trying to be semi-creative with basic beef stew lol :lol:;)

Happy Quinoa-ing! B):lol:

lovelove

DingoGirl Enthusiast

I am intrigued w/ quinoa, and do NOT know how to rinse it. It's too small for colander and strainer, I think..........how do you guys rinse this stuff and get rid of the soapy taste? :blink:

I'd love to use it!

Wonka Apprentice
I am intrigued w/ quinoa, and do NOT know how to rinse it. It's too small for colander and strainer, I think..........how do you guys rinse this stuff and get rid of the soapy taste? :blink:

I'd love to use it!

I have a very fine strainer that I use.

Green12 Enthusiast

I'd love to use it!

I pre-soak the quinoa in a pot for 30 minutes or so, then drain and refill the water and repeat the process and soak again. Then I drain them and cook with fresh water. The soaking removes the saponins, which is bitter tasting and that soapy froth you see when you run water over them.

I use a finer strainer to drain them, the holes are very small and the grain doesn't slip through. You could always put a couple paper towels in the bottom of your strainer if the holes are bigger.

Glutina Rookie

Hi!

Those recipes sound AMAZING!!! I heart Quinoa!!!

I actually made the yummiest breaky out of quinoa....:

Warm up leftover quinoa (or cook some) and add craisins (mmm), brown sugar/honey, cinnamon, a pinch of flax seeds and fruit of your choice. I personally love adding frozen blueberries..I like the temperature and texture the frozen berries bring to the dish.

I know it's simple, but quinoa as breakfast is healthy and keeps you full for a long time!

Glutina

yum yum Glutina! :)

Archived