18 replies to this topic

#1 Tricia

Tricia

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:28 PM

Hello - I just want to say - call me crazy but - I'm actually glad to find out I am
gluten intolerant! This is because I have had a weakness for junk food I guess. And it is hard to find junk food that does not have gluten in it. :D I am now being much more health conscious in my diet and I suspect this holds true for people with gluten problems in general, unlike most in the world out there.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:45 PM

Yes, it is great to be fully aware of what we put into our bodies.

#3 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:24 PM

I honestly think it's one of the best things that ever happened to me. I was eating SO unhealthy. Now.. I am balanced and feeling good for the first time in forever. :)

#4 Tricia

Tricia

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:27 AM

CT - Really. There is sooo much junk food out there and it can be too easy to fall into the trap of eating it. Plus, for me a big problem was social pressure, especially at the holidays, with people saying, "Oh just have one" or "Just have a few more. It's the holidays!" How much easier to reply, "Gee, it looks great, but I have this problem with gluten..."

#5 rmmadden

rmmadden

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:28 AM

I agree.......As a newly diagnosed celiac disease patient I have been amazed when I read the labels of things I used to eat. An 8-ounce can of cream of mushroom soup had so many ingredients the list took up 3/4 of the label. All those additives/preservatives/chemicals cannot be good for the human body! I truly believe that fast food and all the preservatives in the ready-to-eat meals etc. are what is makeing people sick (Cancer, heart disease, etc.)

I have not only gone gluten-free but am eating only organic foods as well. It is more expensive but it is ultimately better for my condition and body as a whole.

Bob
"Dreams Are What The Future Is Made Of"

Endoscopy & Blood Work Positive.....
gluten-free Since December 2004.....
Soy Intolerant August 2007......

#6 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:03 AM

:lol: it's always good to see the glass as half full and not half empty--i would rather not have celiacs, but i do and there is nothing i can do about it and i am so glad that i know what is wrong with me and can take care of myself so as not to be sick all the time ;) deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#7 Deby

Deby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:40 AM

Yes there are benifits. When I see people cramming down doughnuts and gobbling those wonder bread sandwiches, I just am so glad I'm not tempted to partake. Knowing how sick just one crumb would make me has taken the temptation away!

other benifits are the flour flavors. I never knew the richness that I could add to my diet until I started experimenting with other flours. I've found that since rice flour doesn't have such a strong taste that I actually like my baked goods better. The flavor is so much more intense and I can actually taste all the ingretients! There's definately a silver lining.
Monica
anti-body negative, self diagnosed, Gluten free since March 2001. Two sons (8) also have celiac. Antibody and biopsy positive. I love to cook and after much much experimentation can now get by pretty well!

#8 phakephur

phakephur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:36 AM

Agreed. It grosses me out now to hear somebody talk about eating and say "I'll just grab something". It used to bother me when I would go to the grocery store and see people throwing things indiscriminately in their carts because I couldn't do that any more. But when I really began to look at those people, I realized most of them look terrible. They look tired and sick, and their kids are bouncing off the walls.
I'm with Bob on the food additives. Even if a product is gluten-free, if it has an ingredient list as long as I arm I reshelve it. I believe that the most important thing you can do for yourself on a daily basis is to feed yourself well. Having celiac is remarkably inconvenient sometimes, but it's also an opportunity for mindfulness which most people don't practice.

Cheers
Sarah

#9 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:17 PM

I'll have to reluctantly agree. Luckily, I loved to cook before being diagnosed and was already a label reader (I didn't like giving my kids crap) so I pretty much knew what I couldn't have before I got all the lists of No-Nos.

But what happened to me is that when I was diagnosed, I was so upset at not being able to have bread, beer, etc. etc. again that I OVERDOSED on the things I COULD have... potatoes, rice (in its every form!) homemade cornbread, brown rice pastas... and packed on some weight. Not to mention... that my celiac disease was diagnosed so fast (3 month of gastro symptoms) that I didn't even begin to lose weight!! ARRGGHHH!!

I have a friend who I sensed was getting impatient with my not being able to have wheat/gluten. She's a diabetic who manages the food she eats by shooting more insulin rather than managing her insulin and her diet. She asked me once... "Can't you just have SOME??" I finally told her, "Sure... if I want MOLTEN ACID comin' out my butt!" haha... sorry to be so graphic, but it made her understand that cheating on a gluten-free diet is not an option!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#10 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:40 PM

I, too, relucantly agree. :D I mean, I'd love to be able to eat a lot of the stuff I can't, but at least I know that I'll be much healthier as a result.

--and this label reading makes you much more aware of the junk that you would be putting in your body.

#11 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:45 PM

Quite frankly I don't miss any of the garbage I used to eat at all! It made me feel so awfull and completely messed up my life. It has been a year since I have gone gluten-free and I have no desire to go back.

Ianm
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#12 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:47 PM

I agree with you! And organic is more expensive, but considering how much I used to spend eating out, it pales in comparison.

#13 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:13 PM

Me, too! And I'm not one to be unusually positive about things like this LOL.

I realized how much junk I was eating, and how much "convenience food" my kids ate...and how *little* nutrients can be found in that sort of food. Now, instead of corn dogs or chicken nuggets my kids eat home-made cooked, cubed chicken and vegetables. Instead of chips, we have apples! I am learning so much about eating healthy, and it makes junk food (which is hard to hunt down in gluten-free form and usually expensive) not such a quick and easy solution.

I expect my entire family to be healthier and stronger due to this diet...I think in the end we will have far more benefits even than the initial feeling better from not being sick with gluten.

Except for the fact that I now feel guilty about how badly we'd been eating before (and even so, by most standards we weren't doing badly....it's just so much better now!) I'm feeling really good about the direction our diet is taking!
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" -Psalm 91

gluten-free since January 26th, 2005
Feeling up and down, but better!

Mommy of a gluten-free 8 yr old, a 6 yr old who (much to her dismay) will be gluten-free soon and a 2 yr old who is so far symptom-free. Contemplating putting the whole family on the gluten-free diet since crumbs have become my nemisis!

#14 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:36 AM

That's so funny- I am glad to know that I'm not the only one that feels that way. I have been working toward becoming gluten-free for the last 15 days (I just found out I may have Celiac's) and oh what a difference it has made! It's funny- my husband noticed (he always thought the basis of my problems was a food allergy) that I had already started to weed stuff out that I had a bad experience with. Like I had stopped drinking beer and switched to vodka when we went out, I really didn't crave bread, the thought of milk grosses me out (this from a girl who used to drink 7-8 glasses a day).

I'm relieved frankly and the cool thiong for me is that my favorite food in the world- Thai- is mostly glouten free. I'd give up pizza and beer (well I already have) before I'd give up Thai! Long live Thai food. :D

#15 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:35 PM

Ha Berneses,

same here. As an asian fan of course, I like asian food. With me, it's just more chinese than thai, but never mind. Most of it is glutenfree anyway ;) .

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: