18 replies to this topic

#16 watkinson

watkinson

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:09 PM

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear all of you saying these things. :D I am fairly new to this site. The first day I looked around here I went to the area where people were talking about eating out in restaraunts and such. It seemed like there was alot of complaining about all the things we can't eat. <_<
I was so extatic to find out what was wrong with me, and that really, it's fairly simple. Unlike lupus, MS, reumatiod arthritis or any of the other autoimmune dieases this one is "do-able, fixable, manageable". If I have to have an AD I feel blessed that it's this one. I mean there is no cure for any autoimmune disease, but for us, all we have to do is eat gluten-free. Which basically means (after getting rid of all the gluten) that were eating healthy, were getting rid of all the junk.

I was always interested in the health of our bodies, always tried to eat right (HaHa, like whole wheat and multi grains) but I found that because I was always sick that I could'nt eat alot of fruits and veggies, I would always feel naueous and often a salad would bring on a stomache attack. Now that I'm "cured" (no more stomache problems) I eat tons of organic fruits and veg. I look better than I have in years, feel better, stronger, happier in every aspect of life. :D I miss NOTHING!!
It grosses me out to think of bread, pasta, ect. I think it's a blast to experiment and find new foods and to tell everyone why I eat the way I do. I don't talk much about it unless people ask but I find that people are genuinly interested. It's obvious how good I look and feel and people want to know the "secret". I have had several friends (not celiacs) try to change thier way of eating, lose some weight and try to get healthier just from talking about my condition.
LIfe is good, :P Wendy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:25 PM

Wendy-
You have a GREAT attitute about things and that is 95% of the battle right there. Keep up the good work.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#18 jessicajane

jessicajane

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

So happy to find this thread...for me, it's actually been a big relief to learn the effect gluten has on me, even if the bloodwork came back negative. Why not avoid the substance that makes me sick?! It's a virtual cure. Like alcoholism, you're safe if you avoid the substance.

Feeling nearly normal for the first time in years is giving me the impetus to continue with this regardless of what the test result was. At least the doctor thought of celiac disease and prompted me to do the research. My body has provided a reliable-enough diagnosis, for the time-being anyway.

Looking forward to a healthier, more useful life and sharing with my new community.

JJ

negative blood test 2/25/05
close-to-gluten-free since 2/26/05

#19 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:35 AM

Having celiac disease can be crippling if you allow it to be. It's not like having a terminal illness. For us the cure is to simply stop eating certain foods. Easier said than done sometimes. I find that people either understand why we can't eat certain things or they just don't get it all. Life is good as long as there is no gluten involved.

Ianm
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: