This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Easting Out In San Francisco/monterey/big Sur Coast

peanut-uk

peanut-uk Newbie

Hi

I will be going on holiday to San Francisco in June this year. We are also visiting Monterey, Santa Cruz, Cambria and the Big Sur coast (I'm really excited!)

does anyone have any recommendations for eating out? I am also vegetarian (eat dairy and eggs - no fish), as is the friend I'm travelling with. We ate out really well in New York 2 years ago and I'm hoping this trip will be as successful!

I am also wondering if it is worth carrying a translation card in Spanish?

Would be grateful for any suggestions or recommendations (or don't go's!)

Thanks

Helen

Cirencester

UK

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tom Contributor

Hi Helen!

What a great trip that'll be!! :)

I live in San Jose now, which is in betw the places you're visiting.

Wish I had more info, but I've got a ton of additional food problems, so I don't eat out.

I have heard a couple things tho.

There's a gluten-free bakery in Pacific Grove, which borders Monterey. (Central Ave. Bakery)

SF has many restaurants that'll do gluten-free.

The YahooCeliacBayArea group will be a fantastic resource for this.

Open Original Shared Link

I know I've seen info on a few in Santa Cruz, as well.

I believe you can search & read w/out joining, but I'd recommend joining so you can ask specific questions on Monterey & Big Sur.

Oh I miss Big Sur!! I'd lived in Monterey County for 2+ yrs - long before celiac tho, so I know nothing helpful.

Bon Voyage!! :D

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

google raw restaurants for there. I went to a great one in Santa Cruz a bunch of times when I was recently in San Jose. I forget what it's called though. Man was it good. There are two in San Francisco, one downtown and one in the Mission District, and one in Oakland.

Raw Restaurants are great for gluten-free folks, though you need to ask about soy sauce and miso. I had the pizza at the raw place in SantaCruz, and the tacos. Yum. Their chocolate mousse pie is the best: made from avocados, agave, and raw chocolate.

Best of luck.

peanut-uk Newbie
google raw restaurants for there. I went to a great one in Santa Cruz a bunch of times when I was recently in San Jose. I forget what it's called though. Man was it good. There are two in San Francisco, one downtown and one in the Mission District, and one in Oakland.

Raw Restaurants are great for gluten-free folks, though you need to ask about soy sauce and miso. I had the pizza at the raw place in SantaCruz, and the tacos. Yum. Their chocolate mousse pie is the best: made from avocados, agave, and raw chocolate.

Best of luck.

Thanks very much!

I shall add these snippets to my big list I'm compiling - I hadn't thought about raw food... I don't think we have that much here in England (maybe its too cold!)

This forum is really helpful for intercontinental coeliac travellers!

;)

Helen

Cirencester

UK

• 2 weeks later...
WGibs Apprentice

You should definitely check out Zadin in SF. I haven't been, but they have a separate gluten-free menu and it looks delicious.

In Oakland, we have a gluten-free bakery called Mariposa. Everything they make is wonderful, so if you make it across the Bay, don't miss it! Their offerings include pizza as well as baked goods.

Cafe Gratitude is the raw place...as vegetarians too, you might enjoy that.

I've had fine luck throughout the region just talking to staff -- particularly at nicer restaurants. Boulevard (a very high-end place) was particularly attentive.

Have fun!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Oh how exciting!

I lived in Monterey for seven years, until 2004, and I went to Big Sur all the time....and still go back every 2 - 3 months. 'Tis one of the most beautiful spots on earth! I can tell you tons of places to go all over the Peninsula.....pm me when you're ready and I"ll tell you all the best and most affordable spots!

:)

tom Contributor

I was thinking earlier of bringing up this thread where you'd see it, Miss Monterey/BigSur SusieQ . .. . . .but <_< hmmm . .. . how to put this? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: "I could publicly make recommendations, but then I'd have to kill you . .. . .. .all of you" :huh::o

I'LL be in Monterey someday toooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<swinging shiny pocketwatch> you're getting very sleepy . .. .. .. ..

you will post all you know of gluten-free on the central coast . .. . .. . .

when I snap my fingers you will feel extraordinarily refreshed & secure in the knowledge that a multitude of future travelers have benefited

Oh .. . .can't forget the obligatory "and squawk like a chicken whenever tempted to spell w/ a superfluous U"

P.S. *SNAP!*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

peanut-uk Newbie

PIZZA! Oh yes, I would cross that Bay Bridge to Oakland for Pizza! I'd even walk if it wasn't vehicles only!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Helen B)

I was thinking earlier of bringing up this thread where you'd see it, Miss Monterey/BigSur SusieQ . .. . . .but <_< hmmm . .. . how to put this? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: "I could publicly make recommendations, but then I'd have to kill you . .. . .. .all of you" :huh::o

I'LL be in Monterey someday toooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<swinging shiny pocketwatch> you're getting very sleepy . .. .. .. ..

you will post all you know of gluten-free on the central coast . .. . .. . .

when I snap my fingers you will feel extraordinarily refreshed & secure in the knowledge that a multitude of future travelers have benefited

Oh .. . .can't forget the obligatory "and squawk like a chicken whenever tempted to spell w/ a superfluous U"

P.S. *SNAP!*

Takala Enthusiast

Finally made it to Mariposa Bakery in Oakland yesterday (phew, heavy traffic on the interstate, we live about an hour north of Sacramento then have to go across 80 to the Bay area) and it was good !

This was the first slice of pizza I had had that was not homemade in 5 years. Yay ! It had some sort of leek/potato spinach topping with the cheese and tomato sauce, but it worked, so it would be suitable for vegetarians that were okay with cheese. Crust was wonderfully crisper than I can do.

They also had really good snack/dessert bars, we got the lemon- coconut pecan ones. They had all sorts of brownies but I had already made some gluten-free chocolate cake at home earlier for the spouse's birthday, and had to stop somewhere.

Brought home some gluten-free bagels and had that for breakfast this morning.

They also had biscotti, haven't gotten to them yet, but tea time is coming up. :rolleyes:

They also have a big coffee drink selection and fruit juices as well.

peanut-uk Newbie

Thanks - looks like we will definatley be making a little trip to Oakland! sounds great! I'll look up the address B)

tiffanyo Newbie

I live in the Monterey area. We now have A PF Changs here that has a gluten free menu. It is really good.

patriceo15 Rookie

Chili's Just opened up in Salinas Area the have stuff you can eat I have not been to this one yet as it is still new. Too many people going to it right now.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

There are just sooooooooooo many wonderful bistros and cozy little cafes on the Monterey Peninsula......no reason to go to a chain - you can really experience the flavor of the area with the little (and bigger) local spots. :)

In Big Sur - my favorites, and they have easily accommodated the gluten-free diet: Ventana (the view from the patio is not to be missed.....one of my favorite places on earth - at the very least, go there for a drink), Big Sur Bakery (yes, they do make baked goods here, but it's an organic little cafe with breakfast/lunch/dinner where the locals hang, with a fireplace and very cozy), Deetjen's (exquisite little elfin cottage w/ rock fireplaces in the corners and OUTSTANDING food. REservation required), Nepenthe (this is where all the tourists go - good also), and Big Sur Roadhouse.

Monterey and Carmel have so many hundreds of bistros that are all wonderful, I don't even know where to start!

Most places in upscale tourist areas in California are pretty up on food issues, so you shouldn't have any problems - there is always plenty of fresh seafood and veggies and other interesting gluten-free items.

• 1 month later...
peanut-uk Newbie

Thanks for your help everyone - my list is now 7 pages long!

Leaving in 2 weeks time and really excited!

Helen

UK

KellyM Newbie

Helen--I don't know if you've gotten recommendations for big sur, but my husband and I go there fairly often. My favorite restaurant in the world is there and is called the Big Sur Bakery. Don't be misled by the name--part of the space is actually a bakery (not gluten-free), but the other half is a world class restaurant for lunch and dinner. A really special place for dinner and easily accommodated my gluten-free requests. Please go, you won't be disappointed!!

Kelly

• 10 months later...
MOOSEHEAD Newbie
Hi

I will be going on holiday to San Francisco in June this year. We are also visiting Monterey, Santa Cruz, Cambria and the Big Sur coast (I'm really excited!)

does anyone have any recommendations for eating out? I am also vegetarian (eat dairy and eggs - no fish), as is the friend I'm travelling with. We ate out really well in New York 2 years ago and I'm hoping this trip will be as successful!

I am also wondering if it is worth carrying a translation card in Spanish?

Would be grateful for any suggestions or recommendations (or don't go's!)

Thanks

Helen

Cirencester

UK

Archived