This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Chex Is Now Gluten Free!

cruelshoes

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
I admit I am a chicken. I am also heartbroken that Wegmans has discontinued thier gluten-free cornflakes with strawberrys. Please if any of the supersensitive folks try this stuff, post back and tell us how it went. I am very leery of CC issues as I react really badly and hope this will really be safe.

I didn't know they discontinued the corn flakes, I still see them in the organic cereal aisle and in the regular cereal aisle...I just thought maybe they didn't stock them in the gluten-free aisle....so its official they are discontinued?

On a side note, I bought the rice chex last night, the words gluten free on the box almost brought me to tears...there is an awesome tropical chex mix recipe on the box and thats exciting.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sandi* Apprentice

That's funny, I was just at the store yesterday (before reading this topic) and was so excited to have found this new Rice Chex on the shelf! I'm eating a bowl with rice milk right now. Watch out for the generic version, that one still has barley malt extract (at least the one sold by my grocery store does).

cruelshoes Enthusiast

If you are so inclined, please send a note to General Mills telling them you are appreciative of them taking this step. The more they hear from our community the more likely they are to make other products gluten-free.

Open Original Shared Link

Guys I just had my first bowl with bananas and milk....yummy!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I didn't know they discontinued the corn flakes, I still see them in the organic cereal aisle and in the regular cereal aisle...I just thought maybe they didn't stock them in the gluten-free aisle....so its official they are discontinued?

On a side note, I bought the rice chex last night, the words gluten free on the box almost brought me to tears...there is an awesome tropical chex mix recipe on the box and thats exciting.

Yes, I called the company and they emailed me a response stating that they are working on 3 new cereals that will be out in January. If you still have them at your store buy as many as you can. The email didn't say the 3 new ones would be gluten-free but I sure do hope so.

I'll have to brave and look for the Rice Chex, I just hope it doesn't have soy.

Yes, I called the company and they emailed me a response stating that they are working on 3 new cereals that will be out in January. If you still have them at your store buy as many as you can. The email didn't say the 3 new ones would be gluten-free but I sure do hope so.

I'll have to brave and look for the Rice Chex, I just hope it doesn't have soy.

It doesn't list soy, I have the box at my desk as we are typing this. I might have to go to buy some.

I saw 2 of their new cereal which came our in Jan...and neither was gluten free. I might have to voice my disappointment to this....

ravenwoodglass Mentor
It doesn't list soy, I have the box at my desk as we are typing this. I might have to go to buy some.

I saw 2 of their new cereal which came our in Jan...and neither was gluten free. I might have to voice my disappointment to this....

Please do let them know, maybe if they hear from enough of us they will bring more of them in. I haven't even been able to get the Gorrilla Munch there now for weeks. Lots of those 'rock' cereals though that have to be soaked for an hour for my poor celiac teeth to handle them safely. GRRR

I did get brave and bought a box of the Chex, now I just have to get brave enough to try them. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hollyres Explorer

I ran out and bought a box of Rice Chex yesterday, starting out with a handful (don't want to be too crazy!). Today, I am okay, so I had a ton this afternoon instead of potato chips.

Can I tell ya - YUMMY, YUMMY, YUMMY.

The Lord does answer prayers. :P

Alex J Apprentice

I called General Mills and they said it is only the 12.8oz box which is labeled gluten free, and those boxes (the ones labeled gluten free) do not contain gluten and don't have any possibility of cross contamination. But they wouldn't give any details about shared lines etc.

jerseyangel Proficient

I just got off the phone with General Mills. I was told that the Rice Chex that are labeled gluten-free are made on dedicated lines--and that if they wern't, they would carry a cross contamination warning, per their policy of not hiding any gluten ingredients.

She also invited me to take part in a consumer discussion about their products. I gave her my email address, and was told to expect an email soon.

missy'smom Collaborator
I just got off the phone with General Mills. I was told that the Rice Chex that are labeled gluten-free are made on dedicated lines--and that if they wern't, they would carry a cross contamination warning, per their policy of not hiding any gluten ingredients.

She also invited me to take part in a consumer discussion about their products. I gave her my email address, and was told to expect an email soon.

Thank you for this.

Sharon Marie Apprentice

I have a box and they are delicious!!!!!

rpf1007 Rookie

I looked today and at my store there are still the old boxes with barley malt extract :(

Hopefully we'll get the new ones soon- I'm excited!

wowzer Community Regular

I got a box at Target today. I am going to let General Mills know how happy I am.

I sent them a grateful email yesterday, this is great for us!!!

njbeachbum Explorer

ahhhhh bought TWO boxes at target last night.... had to be careful because the old boxes were right next to the new ones! but i'm so happy, and i'm having my first bowl with almond milk right now. yum! so nice to be able to get a good cereal in a normal size box for only $2.50ish.

major props to general mills!

Cheri A Contributor
ahhhhh bought TWO boxes at target last night.... had to be careful because the old boxes were right next to the new ones! but i'm so happy, and i'm having my first bowl with almond milk right now. yum! so nice to be able to get a good cereal in a normal size box for only $2.50ish.

major props to general mills!

I'm so happy to see this thread! I will look for these next time I'm at the store. :)

I spent yesterday afternoon dipping them in peanut butter too! Another good snack :)

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I bought my box today!!! I can't wait for breakfast tomorrow!! It might have to be a snack tonight after supper!! ha YEAH for general mills!!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

oceangirl Collaborator

This is WONDERFUL news but I'm with Ravenwoodglass- I am a chicken, too! Waiting for more post-testing positive posts! How's that for alliteration? (sp?)

lisa

Sweetfudge Community Regular

OMG so excited!!!!

Please do let them know, maybe if they hear from enough of us they will bring more of them in. I haven't even been able to get the Gorrilla Munch there now for weeks. Lots of those 'rock' cereals though that have to be soaked for an hour for my poor celiac teeth to handle them safely. GRRR

I did get brave and bought a box of the Chex, now I just have to get brave enough to try them. :D

Raven-

Last night when I was at the store I bought the strawberry corn flakes....well I did not pay for them. We had several boxes left on the shelves but they were out of date, they were listed as Feb-08. The date is not easy to see and stamped in a way where I had difficulty judging what it was. Anyway, I took the box to the cashier and told them, I explained I heard it was discontinuing and I really wanted the box. They gave it to me for free....

I cannot imagine the cereal being bad, it is not opened...

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Open Original Shared Link

is anyone worried about the MIXED TOCHOPEROLS VIT E's ..that it might have soy OR would we assume that it must be listed...........even tho cereal is gluten-free.

thanks judy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

hi

I just called also since they said they can't respond to emails at this time. Really nice lady told me if soy was used in the vit e's would be listed. Seems these will be safe lines but didn't get a 'dedicated line' answer per say.........but all 8 allergens would be listed under the ingred panel in larger letters.

was also ask to particpate in a consumer email discussion. So maybe if alot of us call, we can have some impact.

thanks Patti and for the rest of you.

Judy

Owen'sMom Rookie

OMG that is so exciting. Woohoo, I can't wait to check out our store here, although I'm sure it will take a couple of weeks, lol.

Archived