38 replies to this topic

#16 Ruth

Ruth

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:53 AM

In my earlier post I didn't realize you already had the space to utilize!
If you are going to have the bakery as your core business, putting in a few tables can't hurt! I can't tell you how many times I've yearned for a gluten-free bakery to bring my kids to, meet my friends for coffee, etc.

I'm sure you will get a lot of positive PR in your local papers when you open... instead of just sending out a standard press release, invite the press in and give them (or go to their offices with) your best treats --- after they've enjoyed them tell them what they just ate is gluten-free!

Their positive reaction in print may get the "skeptics" in your door! I know my favorite dessert (even before going gluten-free) was a flourless chocolate cake!
Best of luck, let us know how it goes.
Ruth
Diagnosed 3/03 (Positive Biopsy/Negative Blood Tests)
Daughter dx 12/03 (Positive biopsy/Positive blood tests);
Two sons (Negative blood tests); One on gluten-free diet (6/04) ... cured his persistent, severe headaches.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Boojca

Boojca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:59 AM

Obviously you know the restaurant business is a tricky one...most open and close quickly. I would not make your primary publicity be that it's a gluten-free restaurant, word of mouth in the Celiac community will take care of that. I would focus, like any good restaurant would, on the quality of your foods, atmosphere, etc... and let a sub-note be that it is gluten-free friendly.

Best of luck! Bridget

#18 Deby

Deby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for all the comments! It's giving me a lot to consider, thought I had thought about a lot of it already, it's good to know which points are most important.

hapy2b, thanks for your comments. One of the main reasons I wanted tables was so I would have seating for cooking demos and gluten-free type lectures. I think there is a huge need for information on cooking and lifestyle changes. I will do demos on how to use my mixes especially so that people have success at home.

I have a cake decorator so I can do birthday and wedding cakes. I did a cake this weekend for a Celiac kids group and had good response. It was enough to make me cry seeing how excited those kids were to eat a decorated "normal" looking cake. I was just reinforcement for me to say, "that's why I'm doing this."
Monica
anti-body negative, self diagnosed, Gluten free since March 2001. Two sons (8) also have celiac. Antibody and biopsy positive. I love to cook and after much much experimentation can now get by pretty well!

#19 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 06:13 PM

I recently noticed an advertisement for a gluten-free restaurant in Davis, CA in the Living Without magazine. Not everything in their restaurant is gluten-free (but most are, and they have gluten-free alternatives available), and of course it wouldn't be the same as a cafe combined with a bakery, but you could check out their site and get some ideas. They also offer cooking classes onsite and online. Here is the link. http://www.naturalfoodworks.com/

If you do open up, let us know. I have family in CO, near Denver and I would certainly make a stop over to taste your goodies. If you offer out-of-state delivery, I would try your bakery then as well.

God bless,
Mariann (in CA)
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#20 Deby

Deby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:40 AM

Hello to all who are following this thread. Sorry I don't post or check as much as I'd like to. I'm busy trying to get things up and running.

I got the drawing for the layout. I'm excited that I can have a beer, wine license. Gluten free beer anyone??? I'm anticipating a March opening, possibly early April. I'll have the website up and running and orders will ship out. I have Discover Merchant Services for Credit cards, all kinds are accepted. I've had three cake orders in the last two weeks from people who just couldn't wait plus bread and cookies. I made a sorghum rice blend bread yesterday that I loved. It was even good this morning, cold and untoasted.

I'll keep this thread posted as to the happening and the open date.

PS. I'm buying an icecream maker for the summer and plan to put out all those icecreams that gluten-free's can't have. Brownie fudge and cookies and cream!!! yum yum
Monica
anti-body negative, self diagnosed, Gluten free since March 2001. Two sons (8) also have celiac. Antibody and biopsy positive. I love to cook and after much much experimentation can now get by pretty well!

#21 Jinscoe

Jinscoe

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 07:46 AM

I think it's a great idea. In the Northwest, just north of Seattle in a small town is a completely gluten-free restaurant and each time my wife and I have made the trek up there... it's always packed.

My personal view is, if the food is good people will come in a eat.

Best of luck with your venture!!

#22 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:51 PM

Hi Deby,

i would make it completely gluten-free as well, if I were you. Just because one restaurant didn't work, doesn't mean, the rest isn't working, too. And I wouldn't go into a "funky area", like somebody posted on here. In "funky areas" are already enough gluten-free things to get. It's the people in other areas that need it... <_<

I think, a completely gluten-free cafe will work. You just need the right promotion, that means, promote it as a normal cafe with a short note, that also celiacs can eat there. So everybody will come. The thing with the cooking classes is a very good idea. Also the internet idea. You could also put a shelf in a corner of your cafe aside the baked goods, with stuff like gluten-free chocolate. Well, gluten-free chocolate might be a bad example, but i think you're getting my point? I mean, other hard to get or overexpensive stuff for celiacs. With a business license or what that is called you should get the stuff cheaper from the retailer.

And a nice trick that always worked for me. Don't only promote in newspapers, but online in message boards like this one here around your area. Or also these little flyers to all households in your area shouldn't be such a bad idea. And what is also a good idea is not only this catering service, but if you would deliver stuff home to people, something like a pizza delivery or so.

I wish you good luck with whatever you do and i would also like to have the homepage-name of your business, if you already have it.

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#23 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:58 PM

"Sell on line and at local health stores and other places where Celiacs buy other products."

At the one health food store I go to they sell some local brands and it's cool.

The Vegan thing would help get customers. . .it is verywide spread and they would eat glutenfree things as long as they were vegan, too. So, you wouldn't have to have different options.

I love places that have gluten-free and veggie/vegan options!

#24 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 05:04 PM

I say funky areas because it would be more accepted there. I live 20 miles from Atlanta and you find the full veggie and vegan places in areas where people have different lifestyles and eating habits. You would have people who want those types of foods there. The ones who would come in every day for lunch. I travel everyweek downtown to shop. There is a store that 20 miles to the north that carries some cool things but since it is all alone up there I rarely visit it.

I was just thinking of all the different cities I have lived in and all. Just seems the funkier places have more people who know about gluten and healthier eating.

If I ever come to your state, I'll be sure to visit your bakery.

#25 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 05:11 PM

I know what you mean, MySuicidalTurtle, and you're right. A lot of business people think like that. But it's us people in the "non-funky" areas, who have problems with getting gluten-free food in a restaurant or cafe. And it would be nice, if here would be gluten-free cafes or restaurants, too. So that we don't have to drive 50 or 100 miles to get something. Why shall the "big city guys" always have the advantages???
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#26 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 06:01 PM

I think it does suck that bigger cities get more advantages. Her place will be in Denver. Big cities have more people and I bet you can make a lot more money with a gluten-free bakery in a big city than you ever could outside it (without shipping orders or being on-line). The only exceptions would be a communitry made mostly of Celiacs or vegan people.

#27 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:17 AM

I think one of your sellling points (a pro) would be that your food is fresh, natural and a low amount of artificial flavoring or colorings. That alone would lure some people in.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#28 Muriel

Muriel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 04:14 PM

I think it's a wonderful idea. I live in San Francisco, and would go to a gluten-free bakery all the time if there were one.

You also might consider having dairy free foods, and honey sweetened only foods.

Things I would love to buy are pizza and cinnamon rolls, and fresh bread. Yum.

#29 mrsfish_94

mrsfish_94

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:55 PM

I know this is a late reply...but I have been thinking of opening one myself. I am a cake decorator also. I thought I would have a store front that sold gluten-free items. Like a grocery store and then have a cafe inside to make and serve those items and meals. Then have the bakery and cake area. This way it would be a total gluten-free resource. Just a thought...anyway.

mrsfish
Mrsfish_94
4 yr. old Daughter with peanut, dairy allergy & Dermatitis Herpetiformis (not formally diagnosed)
1 yr old Son with egg allergy

#30 Deby

Deby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:38 AM

mrsfish,

I hope you do open a bakery! More need to open to make the USA aware that we are out here wanting to EAT!

My only advise is to plan well and have the money up front. My site is running about 250 thousand to get started and I had many advantages go in such as a lease site that already had a kitchen set up. I also got great equipment at bargain prices.

I think you could set up something smaller for less money, but the demand is so high because of lack of supply for gluten-free products that a small place could be overwhelmed. Unless, of course, you are in a smaller town. :-)

I haven't even opened my doors yet and I have recieved numerous phone calls and have had mentions from people I have never met talking to other people about the bakery. It's a little daunting.

My plans go to the city this week for approval so the grand opening is not too far away. Things are really rolling here in Denver and I hope that when I am open, I will get to meet some the wonderful people from this forum who have helped me solidify this whole business plan.
Monica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: