This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What Types Of Reactions Do You Get When You're Glutened?

blondebombshell

blondebombshell Collaborator

i had an endoscopy but it came back negative for celiac. i am chronically constipated and was wondering what types of reactions you had/have when you've been glutened.

there are days i can eat pizza and feel fine. (i know i am not suppose to eat it but i generally get a rash on my legs when i do). sometimes i cant keep the craving down, lol!

today i had a bag of cadbury mini eggs and felt SO NAUSEOUS about 10 minutes after eating them. now i didn't throw-up but i had a little diahrea.

i know - TMI but i am really unsure as to whats wrong with me!

i also sometimes feel a weird haze (like i am all foggy) after i had corned beef the other day. i wasnt sure if that was a gluten thing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ChicoYaYa Newbie

My response could be related to who knows what else since I have not yet had any testing done. But I know that I feel better not eating gluten, and when I do eat it, I notice a marked difference in constipation and bloating, just to name two delicate subjects.

I am sure that as I go further along and stay off gluten more strictly (I have only been strict about the wheat/rye/barley for the past 6 weeks, but have not paid so much attention to food additives... yet!) I will begin to notice the difference in other areas too. The more I read and investigate about this poison called gluten, the more I am understanding that the reactions to being "glutenized" will become more pronounced as you clear your system of the toxins.

Now there's a cheery thought!

superbeansprout Rookie

Hi there,

I think reactions to being glutened are varied. They can range from itching to severe nausea/diarrhea. I myself have noticed when I accidentally eat something with wheat in it, that within 30 minutes I'm really nauseous...I have never vomited from eating gluten though...and within another 30-45 minutes I have severe diarrhea. Sometimes extreme fatique, headaches, bloating, gas, etc. All the lovelies. But not everyone is the same of course.

I would say when you do have reactions of any kind, keep a journal, and back track to what you ate, and maybe research those things to see if there's something in it you shouldn't be having.

Mind you, if you've completely stopped eating gluten, your symptoms can be worse if you're intestines have had a chance to heal. If you are still sometimes eating gluten and have not given your body a real chance to heal...ironically your symptoms can be masked or less severe. I noticed this once I stopped eating gluten for 6 weeks, when I accidentally ate salad dressing with hidden gluten, my reaction was so much worse than ever before.

lanam80 Newbie

Hi

Newbie here :)

I started trying to go gluten-free a couple months ago and within a week I felt this cloud of depression lift that I didnt even know was there!

When I do eat gluten now (intentionally a few times as I was experimenting..and unintentional like this past weekend) I get SEVERE stomach pains like my stomach is just being torn apart, within an hour of ingesting it. I also get extremely bloated and gassy (sorry TMI). One incident will last 2-3 days from just a small amount. I also get very irritable, depressed and moody. (who wouldnt with that stomach ache!) and my elbows begin to itch and I get a red rash on them

HTH

M

Glutina Rookie

Hi!

I am relatively new yet to the whole gluten-free life, but I certainly notice when I slip up. First, there's the bloating. Ugh. I look pregnant, i swear. Next come the washroom "isues"...usually starting with an urgent case (or few) or D, followed the next day or so by C. If it's really bad, I get such severe abdominal pain and the D is so bad that I have to be hospitalized to deal with the pain and to avoid severe dehydration.

Mentally and mood-wise, I am a mess. I can't concentrate and become depressed and snappy (SUCH a joy to be around haha). I, too, feel "foggy", and this tends to last a couple of days.

I am SO glad I went gluten free!!! Even now when I get glutened, I am reminded that the daily annoyances of going gluten-free faaaaar outweigh the physical and mental symptoms I was living with for so many years.

Best of luck to you!!!

Glutina :)

Panopticism Rookie

Crippling nausea, feel faint, confused, very bad diarrhea where most food comes out the same way it was when it went in my mouth and EXTREME abdominal pain. Fetal position on the floor, you know.

Lasts about a week, diarrhea and abdominal pain last about two weeks.

gfjayhawk Rookie

I get a severe, burning pain in my midsection (duodenitis), muscle spasms in my back, nausea, and later abdominal cramps and sometimes D. I also have fatigue and brain fog.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kerrih Rookie
i had an endoscopy but it came back negative for celiac. i am chronically constipated and was wondering what types of reactions you had/have when you've been glutened.

there are days i can eat pizza and feel fine. (i know i am not suppose to eat it but i generally get a rash on my legs when i do). sometimes i cant keep the craving down, lol!

today i had a bag of cadbury mini eggs and felt SO NAUSEOUS about 10 minutes after eating them. now i didn't throw-up but i had a little diahrea.

i also sometimes feel a weird haze (like i am all foggy) after i had corned beef the other day. i wasnt sure if that was a gluten thing.

I also had a negative biopsy, but positive bloodwork. The "gold standard" isn't so gold anymore. Now the most sensitive test for celiac seems to be the tissuetransglutaminase Ttg level in your blood. Mine was three times as much as it should be and an expert in Utah told me that something must have been misread or mistaken in my biopsy. With a level that high, he said I had to have celiac. You probably had the same issue with your biopsy. Sounds like you have more than a gluten sensitivity and if I am not mistaken, the rashes are related to celiac disease not gluten sensitivity.

gooseberry Newbie

Glutina, I also get the pregnant look when I eat gluten. D, C, nausea, dizziness, extreme fatigue, headaches, migranes, acne, bruising, bloating, depression (mild), cranky, muscle cramps. I have been on and off gluten for about 9 months now after trying a lo carb die and feeling amazing, then eating a piece of bread and blowing up with severe bloating. Started doing celiac research and had two blood tests. Both came back negative. Going gluten free again.

MDRB Explorer

I think everyone has slightly different reactions to getting glutened depending on the level of damage to the body. Some people are just more sensitive than others.

Personally I get tired and a brain fog as well as stomach symptoms.

I find that gluten free flour actually makes a really good pizza base if you mix in a couple of eggs and some lemonade (I know it sounds wierd but the fizzy carbonated drink helps it fluff up)

Thats what I do when I crave pizza. :)

pattyc Newbie

MDRB Explorer

Processed meat always gives me a headache. I thought that was nitratres or msg?

I had an endoscopy two years ago, after which my gastroenterologist said she didn't think it was celiac...possibly crohn's. But then one year ago after a repeat endoscopy, and that genetic testing, she then confirmed celiac and crohn's. I think it is hard to nail these diseases down, you need to be persistant and have a good (persistant) doctor. So I was in a bit of denial, but followed drs orders and went gluten free. I started having energy! Amazing..I was also in a good mood constantly! I didn't realize how crappy I was feeling before. I was still in a bit of denial and thought it was all in my head, so after 3 months gluten-free, I purposely gluttoned myself...and quickly got depressed/fuzzy headed and cranky. The abdominal issues came back and I thought they were worse than there were before going gluten-free, but I think the time I spent being gluten-free reset my ability to sense what was going on in my own gut. It's funny, because I still struggle with denial...I get to feeling so good that I somehow think I imagined this disease, or maybe I just have crohn's but then I accidentally or purposely get some gluten, and wham...not so good stuff happens.

I know exactly what you mean. I also went through denial and learnt the hard way. Its so easy when you are feeling good to think that you can get away with a little gluten. I found that since going gluten free, my stomach is much more sensitive to gluten and I get much more severe reactions than before diaagnosis.

Also I'm prettty sure that most processed meats (eg: lunch meats etc) contain gluten.

larry mac Enthusiast

I know this post reply is going to be unpopular, but I feel this forum is for celiac disease sufferers. If you are eating pizza on a regular basis, you obviously don't have a diagnosis, nor take this disease seriously. This is not a lol matter. Get real.

Also, "glutened" generally refers to accidental ingestion of gluten while on a gluten free diet. Eating gluten intentionally is an entirely different thing IMO.

best regards, lm

superbeansprout Rookie

Well it sounds to me like Blondbombshell doesn't get the same type of reaction from eating wheat as a lot of us that have responded do with the cramping bloating and D, however the skin rash IS a symptom as well. But I think we have to remember that everyone's symptoms are going to vary, depending on the level of sensitivity we have to gluten. maybe she's not as sensitive so she doesn't get the big D

larry mac, I don't really think it's fair of you to call her out for intentionally eating wheat and not taking the disease seriously, because she doesn't seem to have as severe a reaction as most of us--I'm sure we've all had those experimental moments of 'hm, what ARE my symptoms now that I haven't been eating wheat, and were they masked by anything else'. She is just adding her symptoms to the list to help others figure out what might be going on. Her symptoms could very well help someone else who wonders if their skin rashes are because of wheat or something else. But that's just my two cents.

Stay well everyone!

babysteps Contributor

symptoms, what everyone else said and also

joint pain & swelling, esp. hands, knees & ankles

night sweats (yes, checked w/obgyn, is not early menopause - and no gluten=no night sweats)

restless leg

I usually only vomit after glutening when I am PMS'ing or during the first 2 days of my menstrual cycle

I know, TMI, but if it helps anyone think "ah, so that's what this is" :)

sandpiper Apprentice
Hi!

I am relatively new yet to the whole gluten-free life, but I certainly notice when I slip up. First, there's the bloating. Ugh. I look pregnant, i swear. Next come the washroom "isues"...usually starting with an urgent case (or few) or D, followed the next day or so by C. If it's really bad, I get such severe abdominal pain and the D is so bad that I have to be hospitalized to deal with the pain and to avoid severe dehydration.

Mentally and mood-wise, I am a mess. I can't concentrate and become depressed and snappy (SUCH a joy to be around haha). I, too, feel "foggy", and this tends to last a couple of days.

I am SO glad I went gluten free!!! Even now when I get glutened, I am reminded that the daily annoyances of going gluten-free faaaaar outweigh the physical and mental symptoms I was living with for so many years.

Best of luck to you!!!

Glutina :)

Hi Glutina,

It sounds as if so many of us here are getting the same type of reactions (and that's not fun). You did mentioned that you get a rash on your forehead? Would you please let me know what this looks like? I have had some issues with breakouts on my forehead and don't know if I am getting a hold of some gluten somewhere, I have tried to do the best with checking all the foods/body products out, and after not eating gluten (atleast I don't think so) for a number of years, around 4-5, I can't figure out why I still am having these breakouts. Do wonder if I have some rosacea. Does anyone here have a problem like this or has been dx with rosacea? I don't have these breakouts all the time, and I have somewhat connected this to maybe being seasonal active. By chance do you have a thyroid disease?

Thanks for your help,

Susie

curlyfries Contributor

I know I'm not the only one that started out dealing with celiac by going "gluten lite". I was too overwhelmed with all the restrictions at first and I still didn't have all the information needed to do it right. While I was "gluten lite" there were things I cheated on and didn't feel any effects. Pizza was one of those [but only if it was thin crust and only if it was one or two]. I don't know why, because I am one of those that gets the stomache aches, gas and bloating [ although not nearly as bad as it seems others of you get].

Of course now I know that other issues I have had are also triggered by gluten. The more I learned [ and realized that this is what probably killed my mom], the more I realized that I had to get serious about it.

We all stumble through it in our own way, but I don't think I would have totally "gotten it" without this forum and all these wonderful people.

Lisa

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I agree with Larry, there is a big difference between accidental glutening and cheating on purpose. Having celiac disease is very serious and should not be joked about. Many of us went years without a diagnosis and have several other auto-immune diseases on top of celiac disease because of those mis-diagnosis's. If you cheat, then I feel you get what you deserve. I have been gluten free now for nearly 8 yrs and never once cheated. I was so sick before finding out about celiac disease that I never, ever had the urge to cheat. Not that I haven't mourned the foods I can't have, believe me, I still mourn foods. After nearly 8 yrs, I now have so many intolerance's, I wish I could be just a "normal" celiac, whatever that is!

So, in the first few years, if I got glutened, which was very rare, almost never, I had the severe stomach cramps and diarrhea. Over the years, when I got sick, it was usually a new intolerance rearing it's ugly head. Recently I found out I had been glutened over the years by Xanax, Pfizer had been telling us it was gluten free when it wasn't. I knew I was reacting to the Xanax, but I never realized it was a gluten reaction. In January, I was glutened by another medication. So now, I know my reaction to gluten is neurological. I will get a severe panic attack, my heart races, my blood pressure rises, some nausea, severe head pain, and nasty brain fog which doesn't clear for hours. I did research and found a gluten free Xanax, so I can take that for the panic and calm most of the symptoms, but the brain fog can last for more than 8 hours. This all usually happens within 12 hours or so of getting the gluten in my system--it's not immediate anymore like it used to be, but the minute it hits, the reaction is intense!

Please take your gluten intolerance seriously, this is your life we are talking about!

mftnchn Explorer

I am getting increasingly clear symptoms with accidental exposure to gluten; I am very very careful but it still happens on occasion from CC or poorly labeled items.

My symptoms include fatigue, brain fog and this can be overwhelming. Now I get abdominal cramping, a bit of pain and discomfort, and some D. The first couple of times I was glutened, symptoms started 2 days later and lasted 2-4 days. Now the symptoms start right away and last a bit longer. My original symptom was C.

I take the diet very seriously; all it took for me was reading the literature about celiac disease. It scared me so much.

Adjustment to the diagnosis can be a process, and it is different for each of us. Certainly it is a major loss which we have to process through and that takes time. Lets be gracious to those who take the "a little at a time" approach to going gluten-free, even if that is not how we did or would do it. Our stories and encouragement can help them learn to be more strict, and I think works much better than criticism.

susieg-1 Apprentice

First,my gastroenteroligist tells me that endoscopy can not detect celiacs and that biopsy test must be done in small intestine not stomach. I don't know what your Dr. did for test but you may want to check other dx methods for celiac. Do not rely on testing to tell you that you need to go on gluten-free diet, listen to your body and what makes you feel healthy!! Also, make your own pizza crust it is easy and you can make several at a time and freeze. Be sure toppings are gluten-free also. Wegmans has a wonderful method for noting gluten-free on labels and have many gluten-free items also Hormel website lists their gluten-free items. Hope this helps!

susieg-1 Apprentice
I agree with Larry, there is a big difference between accidental glutening and cheating on purpose. Having celiac disease is very serious and should not be joked about. Many of us went years without a diagnosis and have several other auto-immune diseases on top of celiac disease because of those mis-diagnosis's. If you cheat, then I feel you get what you deserve. I have been gluten free now for nearly 8 yrs and never once cheated. I was so sick before finding out about celiac disease that I never, ever had the urge to cheat. Not that I haven't mourned the foods I can't have, believe me, I still mourn foods. After nearly 8 yrs, I now have so many intolerance's, I wish I could be just a "normal" celiac, whatever that is!

So, in the first few years, if I got glutened, which was very rare, almost never, I had the severe stomach cramps and diarrhea. Over the years, when I got sick, it was usually a new intolerance rearing it's ugly head. Recently I found out I had been glutened over the years by Xanax, Pfizer had been telling us it was gluten free when it wasn't. I knew I was reacting to the Xanax, but I never realized it was a gluten reaction. In January, I was glutened by another medication. So now, I know my reaction to gluten is neurological. I will get a severe panic attack, my heart races, my blood pressure rises, some nausea, severe head pain, and nasty brain fog which doesn't clear for hours. I did research and found a gluten free Xanax, so I can take that for the panic and calm most of the symptoms, but the brain fog can last for more than 8 hours. This all usually happens within 12 hours or so of getting the gluten in my system--it's not immediate anymore like it used to be, but the minute it hits, the reaction is intense!

Please take your gluten intolerance seriously, this is your life we are talking about!

GREAT observation!! This is a serious disease that has very negative effects!! Having had this disease undiagnosed for 30 yrs and now finding out how badly my body has been damaged as a result tells me that this is not a disease to take lighlty!! I can now only try to repair the damage that gluten has done to my body. Thank you for your comments about the seriousness of celiac disease!!

• 1 year later...
SueBee Newbie

Does anyone get palpitations after eating gluten? Feels like they're in the upper stomach.

newgfcali Rookie

joint pain & swelling, esp. hands, knees & ankles

Me, too, babysteps. Swollen fingers and ankles where I can't get my rings off and can barely bend my feet around. Weird.

Plus the usual symptoms mentioned above. Mine only last a few days fortunately.

• 2 years later...
JeanneA Newbie

Hi, everyone. Decided to see what conversation I could find about this, as I've had an awful weekend. I'm in month 5 of gluten-free, my life having really changed 180 because of finally discovering what was behind constant pain, constip., diarhhea, migraines, insomnia. But then Fri. started with aching and swollen ankle joint---I realize now that was the beginning. Woke up Fri night with terrible stomach ache. Did teach all Sat morning but nothing since then. Normally play music for a church on Sun morning but called in sick this morning. My husband's the one who I think came up with the most plausible reason: had pakora (made with chickpea flour) in friend's restaurant on Thurs., and then had a leftover one Fri. I think they probably fried them in the same oil as they fried the samosas, in spite of my explaining what was necessary. The bloating, gas, nausea all weekend was so awful. Am starting to feel a little better now. Saw on another site that it's good to go DF for a little while while getting over being glutened, as the gut is temporarily so inflamed that you can be lactose intolerant for a little while even if you aren't usually. Anybody ever find this to be true? As soon as I saw that, I quit dairy, hoping just temporarily, as it doesn't usually bother me. So, wondering about the DF thing as well as I'd be glad for any other advice you all can give me about how to recover. Thanks for any support!

Stephanie Young Newbie

Errgh. Where to start. I get very hot in the face, almost ecsma like, and then I get the farts, followed by you know what...

I really don't remember much from my early childhood but I first started noticing some gluten intolerance symptoms as a teenager - and it got progressively worse - I'm 23 now, and i'm actually going to the doctor tomorrow for celiac tests - i've always thought I was intolerant until I realized I really shouldn't put it off since I've read about how much damage could be done. Wish me luck!

Archived