4 replies to this topic

#1 CaraLouise

CaraLouise

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:44 AM

Has anyone ever gotten glutened from wild bird food before?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:59 AM

Yup! That ended the bird feeder at our house! I was so busy looking for nuts to avoid the nut allergy that I forgot to consider the gluten possibilities. I react to contact of gluten, so it got me good!

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,711 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:46 AM

Not as bad as from a pet bird in the house but yes. I gave away the bird but I do still feed the outdoors ones. I fill the feeder outside, wear disposible non powdered gloves and wash when I am done. Oh and I don't fill on a windy day without a face mask. If I do all that I have no problem.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

Not all wild bird food blends have grain in them, but expect to pay more for one that is grain-free. There is always a cross-contamination risk with products of this nature.

gfgypsyqueen, you didn't say which type of nuts you are avoiding. Tree nuts are very rarely found in these products, but peanuts (a tuber, not a true nut) are very common. Even so, feeding options with neither grain nor peanuts do exist.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

I accept the risk as a trade off for the parakettes. I find them fascinating creatures who amuse both me and the cats. So I am as careful as I can be, wash after I handle seed or vacuum or clean up after them. You can get grain free mixtures, but as someone else pointed out, they will be harder to find and more expensive. I have a place an hour or so away that will do a custom mix but the travel and price just make it prohititive.

So I accept the risk. Gloves that you keep just for handling see are another option, or disposal gloves would work too.

Not all wild bird food blends have grain in them, but expect to pay more for one that is grain-free. There is always a cross-contamination risk with products of this nature.

gfgypsyqueen, you didn't say which type of nuts you are avoiding. Tree nuts are very rarely found in these products, but peanuts (a tuber, not a true nut) are very common. Even so, feeding options with neither grain nor peanuts do exist.

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: