This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dental Enamel Defects And Celiac Disease

happygirl

happygirl Collaborator

Great article about Celiac and teeth problems, including a reference to a new study:

Dental Enamel Defects and Celiac Disease

Celiac disease manifestations can extend beyond the classic gastrointestinal problems, affecting any organ or body system. One of these manifestations

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KelBelle Newbie

Thank you very much for posting this! I just sent the link to my children's dentist offices. They are completely clueless about this and look at me like I have three heads whenever I mention it. Perhaps more thought will be given to the situation coming from another source.

• 2 weeks later...
Aleshia Contributor

my dentist said that even though I have severe cavities that weren't there 2 years ago (practically every tooth in my mouth needs something done to it) that she didn't think it had anything to do with celiac... I have white spots on some teeth and brown spots on other teeth and have had to have so many fillings and crowns and a root canal.... anyway I also have other bone loss symptoms so it probably is linked to that

MDRB Explorer

I have had weird looking teeth since I was a kid. I wish my dentist had been clued in as t may have prevented me becoming this sick. :(

jo-england Newbie

everyone one of my teeth possible to chew on has a fillng and im only 25! went to dental hospital the other day he said i have no enamel left on most teeth, down to the dentine and v. sensitive, need more fillings and a shim. i once mentioned coeliac disease to my dentist and i dont even think she knew what it was never mind related the problem slightly! i also mentioned to the guy at the hospital and saw no relevance either. i type this sucking boiled sweets, perhaps my teeth probs slightly self inflicted also, nevermind! :)

Robink Newbie
everyone one of my teeth possible to chew on has a fillng and im only 25! went to dental hospital the other day he said i have no enamel left on most teeth, down to the dentine and v. sensitive, need more fillings and a shim. i once mentioned coeliac disease to my dentist and i dont even think she knew what it was never mind related the problem slightly! i also mentioned to the guy at the hospital and saw no relevance either. i type this sucking boiled sweets, perhaps my teeth probs slightly self inflicted also, nevermind! :)

I was told two years ago that I am gluten and caesin intolerant. I do not have celiac, is what Doc says, but, I tell you what, I have every symptom on here that I've read so far. I had the white spotted-yellow teeth, I had veneers placed on them two years ago, I have acide refluc, ibs, adhd, anxiety, depression, brain fog...........not to mention, any and all meds just never seem to work on me as they do everyone else. Two of my kids have the white spots on their teeth as well, and, they are yellow. I'm very upset realizing now that I have a lot to learn on yet, another journey, but, excited that this new diet I will be trying will offer some hope, God knows how I pray daily, maybe this is it, thanks for reading, robin

Robink Newbie
I was told two years ago that I am gluten and caesin intolerant. I do not have celiac, is what Doc says, but, I tell you what, I have every symptom on here that I've read so far. I had the white spotted-yellow teeth, I had veneers placed on them two years ago, I have acide refluc, ibs, adhd, anxiety, depression, brain fog...........not to mention, any and all meds just never seem to work on me as they do everyone else. Two of my kids have the white spots on their teeth as well, and, they are yellow. I'm very upset realizing now that I have a lot to learn on yet, another journey, but, excited that this new diet I will be trying will offer some hope, God knows how I pray daily, maybe this is it, thanks for reading, robin

Forgot to mention that I had a lot going on 2 yrs ago and never did anything with my diet. Will be starting very soon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Candy Contributor

I had mysterious white spots on my teeth ,but i had no idea it might be related to celiac. But I was wondering what in the world could be causing it , now thanks to this forum I know .

Candy (cause I like candy)

darlindeb25 Collaborator

All very sad! When I was a teenager, I was berated by a dentist because I had to have so many fillings. I felt guilty about that for a long time. Now I have to wonder if it wasn't silent celiac going on, even then. My teeth are a mess now, I didn't find out about celiac disease until I was 45. I have a grandson who has an enamel problem with his teeth and when I mention celiac to his dad, I get "the look", you know "the look", that, "come on mom, my kid don't have it" look. They think I blame celiac for everything. I just ask them to prove me wrong, that's all! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Di-gfree Apprentice

My dentist didn't have a clue about celiac, either. One year when I went in for my check up and she warned me yet again that my enamel is wearing off, I reminded her of my celiac, and I think she presumed I meant bulemia because she said, "no, that's not it, the acid would eat at the back of your teeth when you throw-up". :blink: I haven't thrown up since I had the flu when I was a kid. I just left it alone, and didn't bother explaining the difference.

April Renee' Newbie

Wow, Thank God advances are being made with Celiac Disease!! Kudos to the Doctor's.! For years I was told my grey teeth were from meds I was given as a young child who was always sick, malnurtion, stomach pain, bad grades, hives, dermatists ect.... Maybe the next child well be diagnosed younger!!

• 1 year later...
Tabasco Apprentice

I have had LOTS of cavities, fillings, root canals, bridges...etc. Now my teeth seem to have a band of less than white color across them. It's kind of brownish. I thought it might be coffee stains except it's not the whole tooth but a band horizontally through the middle. Someone once asked me if I was wearing braces after they saw a picture of me.

My kids have dental issues as well. They all have white spots on their teeth. My oldest had cavities occur as soon as the tooth broke the gum. The dentist said it was because she didn't have enough enamel.

We have all had problems with mouth ulcers too. I have grown out of mine but I do occasionally get them. My daughter has geographic tongue too.

captaincrab55 Enthusiast
I have had LOTS of cavities, fillings, root canals,
Tabasco, I can relate to that!.. I had many cavities in my first teeth, fillings and 7 extractions of first teeth. My 6 year molars all came in with deformed enamel and missing enamel.. That was my first 4 fillings on permanent teeth, all by that civil war dentist drill!.. My Dentists just got the High Speed Drill, but wouldn't use it on children... I ended up with a white calcium deposit on a top front tooth.

I can still remember my second grade teacher be-rating the few students with yellow teeth that they needed to brush their teeth better. Yes, I was singled out as having the yellowish teeth.. Enough said on that low moment of second grade!..

My Dermatologist that recently diagnosed me with celiac disease and DH is convinced that I was either born with celiac disease or developed it very early on. He based it on the colic, underweight, belly aches, indigestion and problems with my teeth.

Tabasco Apprentice

I don't know if I had colic but my kids had terrible colic. At least my daughters did. My oldest seems to be experiencing the same progression of symptoms that I had. In fact, her constipation started when she was 9 months old. She had the worst colic for 3 months. Poor baby.

She's in medical school now and knows about celiac. She also knows I'm getting tested. May she should as well.

Chezza Newbie

It is to interesting to read about this. All my life my dentist has told me off for not looking after my teeth, which are nearly see through and brittle. I always replied that i did and they looked at me like i was lying. I now know that the celiac disease has done this to me, but it would have been nice if the dentist would have taken his time and told me there could be something wrong and to investigate it further! I guess he was making money out of me rather than helping me. Yes i have changed dentist!

nopizzaforme Newbie

I find it comforting to read about other people with the same teeth issues as me, Im not crazy! I have a filling in just about every tooth. I used to cry everytime I left the dentist after him telling me I had yet another cavity, despite brushing and flossing regularily. As I got older, I was convinced the dentist was ripping me off, because there was no way I could always have cavities. I had mentioned to him and other dentists that mabey I had something wrong with my teeth, beyond my control and I was always told no, that wasnt possible, and I needed to just brush my teeth properly. I have been diagnosed with celiac recently, and now I see that I was right. My daughter now has three cavities, and I mentioned my celiac to her dentist and its possible she could have it too and she looked at me like I was a moron. I think I should show this information to her dentist. I wouldnt be surprised if more dentists are aware of the link between celiac and bad tooth enamel, but pretend not to be aware because they love us celiac patients!

Mskedi Newbie

I have fluorosis discoloration on my teeth, but maybe that was a misdiagnosis. I know my dentists have all seemed pretty surprised that someone growing up in America would have fluorosis at all. It'd be interesting to look into, but the damage is done, so there's no real rush.

• 2 weeks later...
CMG Rookie

My daughter's permanent teeth are coming in spotty and yellow. The dentist said it was from too much fluoride. I told him that was not possible as we just moved to where we are from a place that did not put fluoride in the water, I have never given her a fluoride supplement, and she didn't start using fluoride toothpaste until she was 3. He looked puzzled, then suggested that it was due to medication she was on as a baby. She never took any medication because she never got sick except for tummy aches. Then it became medication that I was on when I was pregnant. I wasn't on any. I told him that she is gluten intolerant and has been gluten free since she was 4. He said well that's possible, but we won't know until more teeth come in and we see if the enamel defects are symmetrical.

At least he had heard of the link between dental enamel defects and gluten, but he only considered it as a last resort after I brought it up and had demonstrated that not of the standard answers apply in my daughter's case.

chiroptera Apprentice

My twin daughters have had horrible looking teeth since they first came in. Their baby teeth were full of big white spots then because yellow/brownish in "lines." One dentist said, don't worry, no big deal but we can "fix it" before their high school graduation picture." Then the next said "too much fluoride mom." Moved again and this time I heard it was my maternal fevers I had when I was pregnant. I had lots of twin pregnancy problems but a fever was not one of them.

I even emailed our old city water department where they lived their first year (they were formula babies-uh worst mistake I ever made but that's another story) and our water did not have too much fluoride.

Then the last dentist said definitely not from too much fluoride, I didn't give them enough calcium as babies. Guess 6 8 ounces bottle of milk a day didn't work.

BUT, I KNOW it's from gluten because all three of my kids are at least gluten intolerance and they all have one Celiac gene. And now, their never ever had a bottle of formula brother has the white spots on his teeth and they are yellowing. Oh, and my daughters have the symetrical discoloration on all their adult teeth that have come in as well.

• 11 months later...
tinman113 Newbie

I think this site has a lot to offer those with Celiac Disease or Gluten Intolerance. I think it is amazing, because I have been sick for soooo long. I am 39 (but I look 21) and I am being tested for Celiac and Gluten...I finally was abel to get through to my doctor recently and ask him to test me for this. But the point that even really drew me to this page was the questions about my teeth. The day I left the doctor and he made the appointment for testing I broke another tooth! That had me curious, becuase about two years ago to the date, I broke another tooth by simply eating, and now this has happpend again...and the mouth sores...OMG...I have been tested for numerous things in the past...this has been going on for 6 years...and even more so, I had a doctor get pissed at me because he gave me medication that had an adverse affect and he accused me of telling him he mis-diagnosed me....not a pretty scene. I should have known there was a problem when I couldn't drink beer anymore without getting sick. I am not a big beer fan, but MGD was the only beer i did drink for soo long, then get sick after 1...it didn't make any sense....now my teeth are brittle..? stomach pains had been so normal, I thought it was my day-to-day...I started my gluten free diet 5 days ago...and I am not out the park yet, but it is a start...the pain has slowed down...and not as much stomach activity...Oh and did I mention I am in the military..and the doctors think Motrin is the cure-all for everything...and another thing...You wanna know the last straw that made me run to the doctor...6 days ago, I hadn't ate anything all morning and it was lunch-time....I went to the deli store got a sandwhich and ran to a meeting...I ate half the sandwhich...I almost passed out in the meeting...literally couldn't keep my eyes open...but I was perfectly fine prior to....So I know the big bread on that sandwhich had to be the culprit...I never thought food was the cause...but I know now, cause the last 5 days have been soo much better. Sorry, I got carried away with the writing..I am sooo happy right now that I finally have some answers....

Great article about Celiac and teeth problems, including a reference to a new study:

Dental Enamel Defects and Celiac Disease

Celiac disease manifestations can extend beyond the classic gastrointestinal problems, affecting any organ or body system. One of these manifestations

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I think this site has a lot to offer those with Celiac Disease or Gluten Intolerance. I think it is amazing, because I have been sick for soooo long. I am 39 (but I look 21) and I am being tested for Celiac and Gluten...I finally was abel to get through to my doctor recently and ask him to test me for this. But the point that even really drew me to this page was the questions about my teeth. The day I left the doctor and he made the appointment for testing I broke another tooth! That had me curious, becuase about two years ago to the date, I broke another tooth by simply eating, and now this has happpend again...and the mouth sores...OMG...I have been tested for numerous things in the past...this has been going on for 6 years...and even more so, I had a doctor get pissed at me because he gave me medication that had an adverse affect and he accused me of telling him he mis-diagnosed me....not a pretty scene. I should have known there was a problem when I couldn't drink beer anymore without getting sick. I am not a big beer fan, but MGD was the only beer i did drink for soo long, then get sick after 1...it didn't make any sense....now my teeth are brittle..? stomach pains had been so normal, I thought it was my day-to-day...I started my gluten free diet 5 days ago...and I am not out the park yet, but it is a start...the pain has slowed down...and not as much stomach activity...Oh and did I mention I am in the military..and the doctors think Motrin is the cure-all for everything...and another thing...You wanna know the last straw that made me run to the doctor...6 days ago, I hadn't ate anything all morning and it was lunch-time....I went to the deli store got a sandwhich and ran to a meeting...I ate half the sandwhich...I almost passed out in the meeting...literally couldn't keep my eyes open...but I was perfectly fine prior to....So I know the big bread on that sandwhich had to be the culprit...I never thought food was the cause...but I know now, cause the last 5 days have been soo much better. Sorry, I got carried away with the writing..I am sooo happy right now that I finally have some answers....

Welcome to the board. Please make sure you keep eating gluten during your testing. If you go gluten free or gluten light before the testing is done you will have a false negative. There is up to a 20 to 30% chance of a false negative even on a full gluten diet. I hope you get accurate test results as it does sound like you are in the right place. Do be aware that depending on the branch of the service you are in a diagnosis can result in a medical discharge or your being given stateside duties to accomodate your diet. MREs are not safe for us.

Cat Eyes Rookie

I just posted a similar topic because I did not see this one. Basically, you have answered my questions! I have 8 cavities at the age of 24, gingivitis that may morph into peridontal disease. My mom also has Celiac and has 18 cavities, crowns, caps and receding gums that will eventually require a gum transplant. We also both have yellowish-transparent teeth that I guess is due to thin enamel?

Sucks that Celiac can cause this. I am scared that in the next 10-20 years, I'll have twice the cavities and will need major dental work to fix all these problems (I don't have dental insurance either). It's such a nightmare!

i-geek Rookie

Yep. I went to a new dental office for the first time after self-diagnosing celiac disease, and the dental hygienist actually started asking me if I had been malnourished while growing up, and said she was asking because of all the white weak enamel spots on my teeth. Since I always had an ample amount of healthy food while growing up, it took me a minute to connect the dots and say "hey, I have celiac disease. That's probably the reason" and she agreed completely.

brendab Contributor

This may be the reason why I have so many cavities, have NO enamel (sensitive teeth) and why 2 of my children have had to have teeth removed due to bad cavities and the rest capped in the back when we've been so careful with taking care of their teeth and we don't eat a lot of sweets or dried fruits, etc. Very strange!

Archived