This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Help Me, Fiance Is Celiac Ad Has Been Taking Beano For Gas Without Knowing It Had Gluten :(

silent gent

silent gent Newbie

Thank you for having me here, I feel so distraught, and sad that my fiance is going through all this. She's been feeling so much better, and her Vilii were starting to grow back well by the end of 2007. She always has taken the beano for gas, she never knew it had glutten. :( and has worked so hard to be careful not to injest any gluten and having pains recently, and is now in the hospital because she couldn't even drink her water the other day. The doc said that the beano is the cause of this, and I'm so scared for her that this has damaged her intestines and vilii. I just want her to be okay, I don't want her suffering any more with all shes been through. Is there hope that the damage wasn't too extensive? I love her with all my heart and soul, and I would give my life to save my Baby... God bless everyone, and thank you for helping me. Silent Gent

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flourgirl Apprentice

Silent Gent....so sorry to hear about your love. This is why many of us are so careful about EVERYTHING that goes into our mouths, and sometimes we even go into panic mode. Many of us know about how sick a Celiac can be! Rest assured that whatever damage has occured to her digestive system can be reversed. Now you are both well aware of checking everything and being ever so careful. It may take time, but she will be fine. Hang in there. You're in my prayers, and know that we're pulling for you. Glad you came here.....you'll find many answers and commiseration from a great group of people. Good luck!

flourgirl Apprentice

I wanted to tell you......for me it was a calcuim supplement that was doing me in. I thought I was doing so well avoiding gluten. We stopped dining out because I'd get so panicky about food I didn't prepare myself. I was so sick I wasn't taking any chances. When I couldn't figure out why I was still having so very many sick episodes I started re-checking everything. Who would have thought it was something like that? Obviously I didn't. Please make sure you double check all of your stuff.

silent gent Newbie
I wanted to tell you......for me it was a calcuim supplement that was doing me in. I thought I was doing so well avoiding gluten. We stopped dining out because I'd get so panicky about food I didn't prepare myself. I was so sick I wasn't taking any chances. When I couldn't figure out why I was still having so very many sick episodes I started re-checking everything. Who would have thought it was something like that? Obviously I didn't. Please make sure you double check all of your stuff.

Hello Flowergirl, Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your thoughtful reply and for your prayers for my Baby. Thats exactly how my fiance felt, she also was so proud to be off the gluten, and even did a 4 week nutrition program to learn how to eat better which she completed 3 weeks ago almost. She's been recieving electrolytes for two days now, and today the doctors are going to do an upper and lower GI to check her intestine. I'll post here as soon as I find out the results of this, I'm praying with my whole heart that all the vilii were not wiped out. She was feeling so good recently too.

Can I ask you Flowergirl, what happened once you found out that the calcium had the gluten in it? How long were you taking it without knowing, and were you able to recuperate quickly?

silent gent Newbie

Flowergirl, I'm going to be SOOO careful with everything that comes into the house. We're just going to start living together in this next week finally, and I'm going to be a second pair of eyes watching EVERY last thing, incrediant, pill to make sure this never happens again. God bless you Flowergirl, may the Lord watch over you always. Silent Gent

ravenwoodglass Mentor

She should be okay and it is wonderful that she has someone as caring as you to look out for her. You have come to a great place to learn how to make that home gluten free from day one and the many, many things we have to look out for. I hope she is feeling better soon, also even if her villi are totally gone when they do the endo there is every reason to expect her to recover. She will feel miserable for a time but soon she should be home with you and well on her way to moving on. Ask any query you need to and be sure to read as much as you can.

silent gent Newbie

This has brought alot of peace to my mind Ravenwoodglass. I am praying constantly for her, and trying to educate myself for her and for us to be the best fiance, best friend and one day husband I can be to her. I'm going to be very active with asking questions and reading and participating on this forum. I thank God I found the glutenfreeforum and for the gracious help I have been recieving here from such a wonderful group of people here. I have so much hope now, even if the villi are all gone. Our home will never have glutten in it ever again, and I'll be looking over every last ingredient in everything to keep my BabyDoll safe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flourgirl Apprentice

Mornin' Silent Gent. I was diagnosed last Nov., have been going up and down, up and down with healing and getting better, but in the long run gaining much ground. I switched my supplements just a few weeks ago, and find I'm finally starting to have greater energy than I have in a very long time. For some people, the feeling better starts fairly quickly. For some it takes months. It depends largely on how much damage was done, your age, how strictly you adhere to the diet, if you develop other food intolerances. Please have patience, both of you, and diligence. For me, I have finally reached a point where everything I eat doesn't make me ill. What a relief! I know that the rest of the healing will follow soon.

Read, read, read, ask questions, keep trying. You will make mistakes....we all have. The best news is that in time, gluten free living becomes habit, your lovey will feel terrific and you'll have a great life together. Keep us posted

MDRB Explorer

Oh dear, I know how she feels, I am so so careful about my diet and I still managed to get 'glutened' a couple of days ago.

How long it will take for her to heal depends on how much damage was done and what her immunity is like.

I notice that you mentioned in one of your replies that you will me moving in together soon.

You will need to be really careful about sharing cooking surfaces, toasters, etc.

Some others on this forum have a really hard time getting support at home, it sounds like she has someone who is willing to support her which is a really important for recovery.

Good luck, I hope she feels better soon.

• 3 weeks later...
LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

I was taking beano for a while, it seemed to work at first, but after a few times it made my gas problem worse and made me naucious...

Redsd Newbie
I was taking beano for a while, it seemed to work at first, but after a few times it made my gas problem worse and made me naucious...

What ingredient(s) in Beano has gluten? I read the label on my bottle, and I wouldn't think it does.

glutenfreeontario Newbie

According to Beano's website, there is no gluten in the product.

It says:

Does Beano
glowfox Newbie

I'm sorry that she is ill, and hope soon that she is full well. I can definately understand how things can sneak up on you. I was getting gluten in my body by my shampoo! So make sure your fiancee checks that as well. You would be surprised where you would find gluten. It just takes time to figure out. I am still learning after 8 years. Good luck!

- Glow

PS. It is great to hear that you are being so supportive of her on this. :)

• 1 month later...
Leslie C. Newbie

I keep hearing about Celiacs needing to use a separate toaster from the rest of the family. If you use a toaster OVEN, and make sure that the rack is clean, isn't that sufficient?

Leslie C. Newbie
I keep hearing about Celiacs needing to use a separate toaster from the rest of the family. If you use a toaster OVEN, and make sure that the rack is clean, isn't that sufficient?
JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Oh, that would work, it's just really hard to keep track of. It's so easy to forget to clean the rack every time you use it. You could also put foil down and toast your gluten-free stuff on it.

Crystalkd Contributor

That's iffy I think because of the crumbs on the bottom. My sister lives with me but the thought of having gluten in my house TERRIFIED me so I asked her to be gluten-free in the house. She has done GREAT with it and I'm thankful. It's things like the toaster oven and such that scared me. Anytime it's around I start to get sick. If I have to go down the flour ailse for some reason I hold my breath and pray.

I guess it all depends on how you feel but if you have sysmtoms you can't explain I would bet that's where they're coming from.

Archived