4 replies to this topic

#1 liljules5

liljules5

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:23 AM

I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease and I was wondering if it is bad to be working around gluten. I work at Einstein Bagels currently because it is the only thing I've found that has the hours I need. Is it bad to be around (and preparing) the food since it contains pure gluten? I am going to ask my boss if I can move down to the cash register, but is this a big risk? (Of course, I dont eat any of the food)
gluten-free since January 7, 2005 and feeling a LOT better... :)
Positive Biopsy diagnosed celiac disease 1/7/05
Started on Cytomel (thyroid medication) Feb 21, 2006. has made all the difference in the world!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 05:00 AM

It's risky, but there are others who do it and are okay. Some are really sensitive and can start to feel bad if they even inhale this stuff.....I guess the most important thing is that you'll constantly have to be alert so that you don't eat anything accidentally.

#3 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 02:29 PM

It's really all abut how you feel. Some of us get rashes and itchy eyes when around/working with gluten. If you feel fine around it then don't worry.

#4 Nadtorious

Nadtorious

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:16 AM

I work at a home for the handicapped and I have to prepare food for my "guys" occasionally. I noticed that if I was cooking pasta or anything very gluten-y that I'd get small reactions, so I went back to my gastro and got a doctor's order for face masks. Everyone is different on how sensitive they are, but if you are getting sick, your employer needs to be able to reasonably accomodate you-I believe we're covered under the American's with Disabilities Act. Just make sure you've got a good doctor to back you up!
Nadia
Eat, drink, and be merry!

#5 WLJOHNSON

WLJOHNSON

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:33 PM

Hi,
I just completed working 6 months at a bakery and did just fine. During that time I also worked at an ice cream parlor at night, but of course I would never think of eating any those things, since I have intolerances to gluten, milk, dairy, egg whites, and yeast. Hope you're doing well. Welda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: