This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What To Eat When Sick?

jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

When I'm sick, all I want is chicken noodle soup and saltines.

I'm not feeling good, at all, right now.... and I'm sooo hungry. But, I haven't a clue what in the world to eat.

Are there any "ready made" chicken noodle soups on the market that are gluten free? I really can't handle making it myself...and I'm not sure I want dh cooking. (LOL!)

I swear, if I didn't know better... I'd think I have morning sickness. That's highly improbable - but it'll give some of the women out there an idea of how cruddy I'm feeling.

TIA!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

megsylvan2 Apprentice

I'm not feeling good, at all, right now.... and I'm sooo hungry. But, I haven't a clue what in the world to eat.

Are there any "ready made" chicken noodle soups on the market that are gluten free? I really can't handle making it myself...and I'm not sure I want dh cooking. (LOL!)

I swear, if I didn't know better... I'd think I have morning sickness. That's highly improbable - but it'll give some of the women out there an idea of how cruddy I'm feeling.

TIA!!!

I'm sorry to hear you don't feel well and hope you are feeling better soon. I'll be watching replys here, for I also miss and would love to find a ready-made chicken noodle soup. I was eating Campbell's chicken with rice soup for the longest time until I finally figured out it still had wheat in it. I couldn't figure out what was still making me sick! Carelessly, I had never looked at the label - who would have thought chicken with rice would have wheat in it? So I've since given up on all the Campbell's soups.

I've not found many good ready-made soups, and even fewer that I would want to have when sick. Amy's has a couple of different gluten-free tomato soups. One of them I add a little milk to and it makes a passable substitute for the Campbell's tomato soup we were all so used to, but it' too heavy to be interested in when sick. There's another company (sorry - I forget who - I'll try to look it up) that makes a passable garden vegetable soup that is lighter than tomato soup.

Other than that, I'm lucky because my dh does cook, so I get him to make me a favorite soup called Mediterranean Vegetable soup - which is very good when sick as it has a light broth, vegetables, a little rice (substituted for orzo) and chicken. But this is not much help to you now. Sorry. Hopefully you'll get some more helpful responses. :D

Feel better...

Meg

Puddy Explorer

Progresso Chicken and Wild Rice is gluten free. I know....not quite the same as good old Chicken Noodle. Feel better soon!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I use either a buillion cube or Pacific gluten-free chicken broth and then throw in some of the Thai Kitchen Thin Rice Noodles. They can be found in the Oriental section of many markets. I like them because I can just bring my cup of broth to a boil then throw in a small handful of noodles and cover the cup with a plate for few minutes an the noodles are done.

When sick I also used to love Cream of Wheat, now I use Cream of Buckwheat, not wheat at all but just as soothing with a bit of cinnamon and brown sugar.

jerseyangel Proficient

Gosh--I'm sorry you're so sick :( I had the stomach bug recently and that nausea was reminicant of morning sickness! <_<

I use Pacific Chicken Broth and throw in a handful of Mrs. Leepers alphabet pasta (you could just use broken up Tinkyada spaghetti or something similar). Personally, when I feel like that, I like a little something starchy like gluten-free toast in my stomach, too.

Hope it passes soon :)

moldlady Rookie

What to eat when all else has failed and you are sick?

Raw garlic... and warn your relatives that it will outgas through the lungs but it will also help combat congestion there too. I take a whole raw clove and swallow it down like a pill.... grease it up with olive oil if you have trouble swallowing.

What not to eat when you are sick and want to get better faster?

no sugars of any kind as they will weaken the immune system... no white rice as it converts to sugar fast, etc.

ML

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions!

Moldlady... I'm hungry... not wanting to chose foods to combat anything. I just want food on my stomach, I'm afraid garlic isn't going to do the trick! I ended up eating some of my daughter's pretzels because starches really "help out" when I'm starving but not quite brave enough to eat anything else, for fear of puking!

Dh did go to the store and brought home some Progresso Chicken and Wild Rice. I'll indulge in that tomorrow if I'm still feeling like this!

Thanks for all the get well wishes, too!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ivanna44 Apprentice

TIA!!!

Hi jayhawkmom,

Sorry to hear you are fighting some sort of ailment. Health Valley Soups are supposely gluten-free , you can look for their "organic broths" theres a chicken and beef one. Then you can add you own noodles; veggies etc. CeleFibR does soup cubes too in vegetarian beef, vegetarian chicken, and vegetable melody. El Peto also does dry mixes of chicken broth soup. As well as Pacific Foods :) (these suggestions are coming from a gluten free diet book)

As a prewarning too, unless they are suggested as gluten free. From some source like gluten-free resource book, website. When in doubt, double check. Bouillon cubes of soup as well as a lot of canned soups contain gluten. I found that out looking at; I believe it was a Campbell's broth soup. There on the label it said "wheat something" so I could not even get that :( But, at least it was labelled as wheat, and not by some foreign looking word that really means "a derivative of gluten."

You can also if the appetite is there. Use the BRAT method. Usually suggested to mom's for babies who are under the weather. BRAT= bananas, rice, applesauce and dry toast. Or in our case " gluten-free toast" :)

Hope you're on the mend soon.

JennyC Enthusiast

Safeway and Kroger/Fred Meyer brand condensed chicken and rice soups are gluten free. I also like to eat Chebe frozen bread sticks, Health Valley Crunch-ems and animal crackers. I hope you feel better. :)

Juliebove Rising Star

Shelton's Chicken and Wild Rice soup is gluten free. We have additional food allergies, so it's the only one we can eat. I always keep a few cans of that onhand just in case.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

If you like to make your own, Knorr has a "Simply" line of broths that don't list gluten (ie. Simply Beef broth, Simply Chicken, and Vegetable). I buy this and have had success ! Knorr's other soups clearly list gluten after the ingredients ("may contain traces of gluten").

Phyllis28 Apprentice

When I am sick one of the things I want is Gateorade.

• 9 years later...
DaniAriellaLynne Newbie

Progresso soup has a lot of good gluten free options (actually labeled).. one of my favorite is thir New England Clam Chowder. They always are a go to for me when I’m sick and have money to spend. I eat candied ginger and REAL ginger Ale or Sprite whenever I can. Candied ginger does me very well. Gatorade also helps replace lost fluids and electrolytes, try to stay with light colors- no bright blue or red or dark purple, sometimes the dyes can make you sick when your stomach is already weakened. I usually eat plain white rice, or add just a bit of butter. Mashed potatoes, or plain RICE (lightest on the stomach) noodles. But those are all pretty heavy, so be careful. Drink lots of fluids, especially water. I’ve been a Celiac for 7 years this year, and I don’t think the longing for saltines when’s you’re sick will ever go away. I’ve not yet found anything that does the trick as well. Maybe one day? I hope anyone that is reading this feels better! 

Archived