5 replies to this topic

#1 ShortieSunshyne

ShortieSunshyne

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

Hi, I am just realizing that I am intolerant to wheat/gluten and I have this really great recipe for banana chocolate chip muffin that calls for wheat germ. Are there any substitutes out there that I could use instead? If you could please email me at sunshinestorm@msn.com that would be wonderful. Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:30 AM

I generally use rice bran in recipes that call for wheat germ. http://www.ener-g.co...e...at=9&id=102 It's not exactly the same, but is a reasonable approximation of wheat germ.

Hope this helps.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:32 AM

Well, depending on the other ingredients you use, you may be able to just leave that out. However, if you want it there for texture, taste, or nutrient content, there are many things which might work well. Some things which come to mind for texture are ground flax, ground t'eff (or flour), ground Kasha (buckwheat), brown rice cereal, or ground chia seeds. For nutrients, both flax and chia tout bunches of healthy things, or a number of flours can be used in varying amounts, such as amaranth, t'eff, buckwheat, millet, sorghum, or bean flours. Almond meal is really good too.

IMO, t'eff goes very well with chocolate, and it's loaded with protein, fiber, and other things.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 ShortieSunshyne

ShortieSunshyne

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

Well, depending on the other ingredients you use, you may be able to just leave that out. However, if you want it there for texture, taste, or nutrient content, there are many things which might work well. Some things which come to mind for texture are ground flax, ground t'eff (or flour), ground Kasha (buckwheat), brown rice cereal, or ground chia seeds. For nutrients, both flax and chia tout bunches of healthy things, or a number of flours can be used in varying amounts, such as amaranth, t'eff, buckwheat, millet, sorghum, or bean flours. Almond meal is really good too.

IMO, t'eff goes very well with chocolate, and it's loaded with protein, fiber, and other things.

Thanks so much! I will look into those. The recipe calls for flour, which I've substituted with brown rice flour, as well as vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, chocolate chips and ripe bananas.

#5 Wonka

Wonka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

I generally use rice bran in recipes that call for wheat germ. http://www.ener-g.co...e...at=9&id=102 It's not exactly the same, but is a reasonable approximation of wheat germ.

Hope this helps.

I do the same as you.

#6 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:53 AM

Thanks so much! I will look into those. The recipe calls for flour, which I've substituted with brown rice flour, as well as vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, chocolate chips and ripe bananas.

I do believe you'll need to use a blend of flours, not just rice flour. Also don't forget the binders, meaning guar or xanthan gum. I find buckwheat flour works nicely in muffins, though again a blend always seems to work best. If you aren't adding milk or other acidic ingredients, you can leave out the baking soda. Usually it is only added to neutralize the pH, so the baking powder doesn't fizzle out.

Before you make them, I'd recommend taking a look at this thread:
http://www.glutenfre...a...&pid=412397
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: