This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another Great Disney World Experience

sullystaub

sullystaub Rookie

Just came back from wonderful stay at the Wilderness Lodge @ Disney World. Boy do I wish every place was as good as Disney! The took fabulous care of DS (8). We were on the dining plan so I indicated on all our reservations that we needed a gluten-free meal. At all the table service restaurants the chef came to the table to ask what DS wanted to eat. He's a typical 8 y.o. so he eats the basic pizza, hot dogs, burgers, etc. It would make our lives easier if he would learn to eat more things, but what can you do. They were always able to make him something he liked & he didn't get sick once. Here's where we ate for table service: Kona Cafe, Ohana, Tutto Italia, Chef Mickey's (breakfast), Whispering Canyon & Boma.

I have to say for those of you that have read about Chef TJ at Boma - everything you've heard is true! I can not say enough good things about him. He went through the entire buffet with us letting DS know what he could have. Being the picky eater he is nothing appealed to him. So, Chef TJ asked what he would like because whatever he wanted he would make. He chose (big surprise) chicken nuggets. He made him an ENOURMOUS plate of food - tons of chicken, fried rice, corn on the cob & carrots. He asked what he liked for dessert & after hearing his preferences said he'd take care of it. After bringing the dinner he came back a couple times to make sure he liked it. He said if he didn't he'd make him something else. Then came the dessert! I'm going to try to post the pic. of it if I can figure out how to do it. It was the only food picture I took all week. It was probably 1/2 a pineapple on the bottom with big wooden skewer down the middle, next layer was a big piece of some kind of cheesecake, on top of that were a few pieces of flourless chocolate cake (brownie size pieces), topped with a cherry & then drizzled at the table with a delicious chocolate sauce. I thought DS's eyes were going to pop out of his head. Chef TJ came back a couple more times to see if he liked the dessert. And then to top it all off after he saw me trying to get chocolate sauce off of DS's shirt with water he followed me out of the restaurant with a towel with seltzer water on it. We love you Chef TJ!

Can't remember all the counter service places we ate at, but one word of advice. Order the gluten-free food 10-20 min. before the rest of your party needs to eat. Sometimes it takes awhile. I tried to ask for a manager but that wasn't always possible. Usually the cashier calls someone. I do know the only place to get gluten-free pizza at MK is Pinnocchio's (sp?) Haus.

I highly recommend Disney World!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

We just returned as well. I posted some of our experience here: Open Original Shared Link.

We had the best vacation I could imagine. My son was actually healthier stomach-wise than he's been at home. Which is depressing, but that's another topic!

I can't wait to go back to Disney!!

mamaw Community Regular

We love Disney & would love to adopt TJ at the Boma. The dining pass is the way to go. We never got sick once & I ate so much I gained ten pounds........ THANKS DISNEY.

That is the only bad thing I can say about Disney & TJ.....

The other people at the Boma wanted to order special food when TJ came strolling out with a platter of gluten-free foods that others would die for.... We could not eat it all. Desserts were so wonderful. We even purchased some to bring home with us... Zebra Domes....

This place is gluten-free heaven....

mamaw

nothungry Contributor

Chef TJ made us the same dessert when we went last year! People were asking us why we got the glorious treatment we received! We went to BOMA a few months ago we had a different Chef, and she was great, but she was not Chef TJ. We'll try again on our next trip!

janelyb Enthusiast

thank you so much I came on today specifically looking for Disney world stuff and already have gotten some great tips. I found this during my online search.....

Open Original Shared Link

It seems like it would be helpful...especially to my family with multiple food allergies.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

My 6 year old and I went to Disneyworld in February....and I was SOOOO pleased!!!

We had the gluten-free pizza (which is actually Amy's pizza....and I don't care for it much) at Pinnochio's Village Haus, and the gluten-free version is twice the size of the "normal" pizzas. We had people asking us why we were "privileged" and had such large pizzas!! =)

We were able to get almost anything (including pizza) at our resort, too. I enjoyed pulled pork "sammies" and sloppy joes, and all sorts of goodies. We were not able to do any table seating restaurants, as our trip was sort of impromptu over President's Day weekend... which we learned is one of the busiest of the year.

I am always happy to read of such wonderful success at Disney. We are planning to go back, with our entire family, next June. I can't wait!!

Congrats on a wonderful trip!

Nic Collaborator

We are going to Disney in August. I have already contacted Disney and they sent me a list of their restaurants that serve gluten free options along with a form to fill out regarding where our reservations are so that they can speak to the chefs. Also, my travel agent made all of the reservations and informed them about my sons diet. But what about the hotel? We have a reservation there twice during our stay so I know that will be covered, but how do you handle eating at the hotel without a reservation? For example, room service or just getting a quick bite to eat?

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

janelyb Enthusiast

Let me know if anyone wants the forms, they sent it to me via email very quickly within 24 hrs of my requesting them and I would be happy to fwd them onto someone else or copy and paste them here at least the refference sheets.

• 3 weeks later...
Alexandra  Rosenberg Rookie

Does anyone know what gluten free options are available at tutto italia (is there any gluten free pasta)? Also, which restaurant(of these two) are better gluten free--Ohana or Kona Cafe(both at the Polynesian). Any information about gluten free at Tempa Edo or Le Cellier Steakhouse would also be appreciated--thank-you

• 4 months later...
silly yak Newbie

Dear janelyb-

Could I please have a copy of those forms?

Thank you!

Silly Yak

Let me know if anyone wants the forms, they sent it to me via email very quickly within 24 hrs of my requesting them and I would be happy to fwd them onto someone else or copy and paste them here at least the refference sheets.

Archived