This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rainbow Lite Vitamins

gretchen

gretchen Rookie

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has ever researched Rainbow light vitamins? I bought the mulitvite for my husband who has celiac disease. The label states it is gluten free. I question the % of daily value on some of the vitamins for example vitamin B6 is 1250%, B2 1471%, B1 1667%, and K is 125%. All the daily values seem to be extremely high. I have been researching celiac disease ever since my husbands diagnosis and what I have found is the best source of infomation is gleaned from reading this forum. My husbands family doctor does not seem to have much knowledge on celiac disease. In fact, as a nurse, I requested he test my husband for celiac disease. When the blood tests came back negative I insisted on a biopsy. Although the GI doc who did this procedure specializes in celiac spru, I can not get any of the doctors to address the fact that my husband needs to have labs drawm to monitored for such deficiencies as iron, calcium, etc. I requested a consult with a nutritionist and she provided us with some great resources (this web site). When I discussed the need for my husband to take some kind of multivite she suggested we speak with his doctor regarding a "safe choice." Through my research, I have learned we need to read labels and contact manufactures to find out if any product/food is safe. The lists on this web site have been very helpful but I have not found any consistant research regarding what is the best mulivitamin to address the lack of absorption a person recovering from years of damage to the intestine by eating gluten while waiting for a diagnosis. I would think these vitamins are safe for him as they are labeled as "potent, scientific safe, and guarenteed to be gluten free." If anyone can provide me with any information regarding which vitamin deficiencies are common with celiac disease I will be very greatful. My husband was diagnosed approximately 3 months ago and had been doing well since beginning the gluten free diet. Recently he has become ill again and we are now monitoring his food intake much closer and pretty much having him eat fruit, veggies and meats. I do worry, with the amount of vomitting he has done, about the lack of absorbtion of essential vitamins. He has become very fatigued as well. All common syptoms, I know. Again, since I ahve found this forum to be the best source of information, I am turning to the experts for some advice. I thank you in advance for any information you share.

Gretchen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

from what I have read, and seen here, there isn't a "if you have celiac, you're almost certainly deficient in this". it varies from person to person. while b12, iron, calcium, and magnesium are big hitters, they're just some obvious ones. he can't know without running a blood panel what he's short on, if anything (and it might be none of the above, not all celiacs - even symptomatic ones - are). I use the rainbow light women's multi-vit and food-based calcium, myself, for what it's worth.

missy'smom Collaborator

Rainbow Light products have worked very well for me. I took their Food For Life plant based supplement for years before gluten-free and have been taking the Healthy Family Mulit-vitamin Powder since I went gluten-free.

Lizz7711 Apprentice

If you can't get the doctor to run basic things like iron and B12, time for a new doctor! I'd try to find a holistic MD. Hormones are also important to check on as celiac disease puts extra stress on adrenal and thyroid glands.

I wouldn't worry about B vitamins being high...RDI's are set too low anyway, and if his absorption isnt' good he needs extra anyway. The only one to watch is B6...over 100 -200mg per day some people (like me) can experience numb hands/feet which means you're getting too much. If his B12 and /or iron/ferritin is low...i'd recommend B12 injections (again, ya need a holistic MD).

I'm just now starting to research leaky gut syndrome... I think that is key to healing first and foremost so you may want to also research that....healing the holes in the intestine will help stop the extreme reactions he's having.

take care and good luck,

Liz

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has ever researched Rainbow light vitamins? I bought the mulitvite for my husband who has celiac disease. The label states it is gluten free. I question the % of daily value on some of the vitamins for example vitamin B6 is 1250%, B2 1471%, B1 1667%, and K is 125%. All the daily values seem to be extremely high. I have been researching celiac disease ever since my husbands diagnosis and what I have found is the best source of infomation is gleaned from reading this forum. My husbands family doctor does not seem to have much knowledge on celiac disease. In fact, as a nurse, I requested he test my husband for celiac disease. When the blood tests came back negative I insisted on a biopsy. Although the GI doc who did this procedure specializes in celiac spru, I can not get any of the doctors to address the fact that my husband needs to have labs drawm to monitored for such deficiencies as iron, calcium, etc. I requested a consult with a nutritionist and she provided us with some great resources (this web site). When I discussed the need for my husband to take some kind of multivite she suggested we speak with his doctor regarding a "safe choice." Through my research, I have learned we need to read labels and contact manufactures to find out if any product/food is safe. The lists on this web site have been very helpful but I have not found any consistant research regarding what is the best mulivitamin to address the lack of absorption a person recovering from years of damage to the intestine by eating gluten while waiting for a diagnosis. I would think these vitamins are safe for him as they are labeled as "potent, scientific safe, and guarenteed to be gluten free." If anyone can provide me with any information regarding which vitamin deficiencies are common with celiac disease I will be very greatful. My husband was diagnosed approximately 3 months ago and had been doing well since beginning the gluten free diet. Recently he has become ill again and we are now monitoring his food intake much closer and pretty much having him eat fruit, veggies and meats. I do worry, with the amount of vomitting he has done, about the lack of absorbtion of essential vitamins. He has become very fatigued as well. All common syptoms, I know. Again, since I ahve found this forum to be the best source of information, I am turning to the experts for some advice. I thank you in advance for any information you share.

Gretchen

Lizz7711 Apprentice
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has ever researched Rainbow light vitamins? I bought the mulitvite for my husband who has celiac disease.

I've never heard of them, but just looked at some of the products and to me they look pretty good with the amounts of nutrients and types (i.e. using vitamin E with mixed tocopherols, using D3 which is better absorbed that D2). My only problem is they use cyanocobalamin for B12. The best vitamins use methylcobalamin (more expensive to process) because that is the form the body uses it...so it doens't have to be converted from cyanocobalamin to methylcobalamin. One company i'm looking into to buy Gluten-free Casein-free vitamins is Pioneer (saw them on this website)...they use methylcobalamin and other amounts etc. look similar to Rainbow.

I do have a question though...on Pioneer's B-complex, labeled as Gluten free...they have barley grass as an ingredient. Is this ok since it is the grass only...especially since they are advertising gluten free it seems like it must be...but just thought i'd ask!

thanks,

Liz

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I do have a question though...on Pioneer's B-complex, labeled as Gluten free...they have barley grass as an ingredient. Is this ok since it is the grass only...especially since they are advertising gluten free it seems like it must be...but just thought i'd ask!

thanks,

Liz

I know I wouldn't touch it. I think we had a discussion on barley grass not too long ago, you may want to do a search to help you make up your mind.

gretchen Rookie

Thank you all for your responses. I am feeling better about having my husband take these vitamins just knowing others have had success with them.

I am very appreciative of this forum. I have been reading a lot of the posts and have learned a ton. I feel so helpless sometimes when my husband becomes sick and I can not find the source of gluten. There are many challenges to overcome when beginning this diet and I can see how it can take many months to learn all there is to know.

Gretchen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

holiday16 Enthusiast
Hi,

Gretchen

The really high RDA's are actually a red flag that the product is synthetic. Basically it falls in the category of using either D2 or D3. While similar the body does not treat them the same. I heard it explained once as it being a mirror image and it's like trying to put a left handed glove on your right hand. Just doesn't fit. Also, one of the key things to look for to see if a vitamin is of good quality is check the Biotin. It's one of the more expensive supplements and if it's not listed at 100% that's a good screening test to see if the vitamin is high quality or not. If you want to contact me from my profile I think I still have some of this information in my files on my computer I could send along to you.

Paulette

Lizz7711 Apprentice

Having worked in a health food store with many "natural" vitamin companies...i've learned that almost all companies, even the most natural among them, use some synthetic vitamins, and there is not necessarily anything wrong with that. However, you do want the best quality, synthetic or not, so you want D3, you want methylcobalamin B12, you want mixed tocopherols for vitamin E, etc.

That said, I always do prefer as organic, food based as possible. I just got a catalog from Dr Mercola (www.mercola.com), and he's got a multivitamin that looks excellent..whole food based, no allergens, no excessive amounts of anything, and most importantly, they are third party tested for integrity by NSF. This is voluntary on the part of the company to be tested by an independent company for quality assurance, and NSF is the best. So I plan myself on trying this multivitamin...might be something to look into.

Liz

The really high RDA's are actually a red flag that the product is synthetic. Basically it falls in the category of using either D2 or D3. While similar the body does not treat them the same. I heard it explained once as it being a mirror image and it's like trying to put a left handed glove on your right hand. Just doesn't fit. Also, one of the key things to look for to see if a vitamin is of good quality is check the Biotin. It's one of the more expensive supplements and if it's not listed at 100% that's a good screening test to see if the vitamin is high quality or not. If you want to contact me from my profile I think I still have some of this information in my files on my computer I could send along to you.

Paulette

• 3 years later...
Here-we-go-again Newbie

Sooo, I started taking Rainbow Light Men's One. I am pretty sure I got a reaction out of it. Its says on the back "Contains no sugar, lactose/dairy. wheat. gluten or yeast." After reading this I thought it would be OK.

I started getting gas a few hours after I took it, that night I had stomach gurgles, and the next morning all the usual symptoms.

I watch my diet very closely, so I am pretty sure it couldn't have been anything else.

Any thoughts?

-Here_we_go_again...

Looking for answers Contributor

Having worked in a health food store with many "natural" vitamin companies...i've learned that almost all companies, even the most natural among them, use some synthetic vitamins, and there is not necessarily anything wrong with that. However, you do want the best quality, synthetic or not, so you want D3, you want methylcobalamin B12, you want mixed tocopherols for vitamin E, etc.

That said, I always do prefer as organic, food based as possible. I just got a catalog from Dr Mercola (www.mercola.com), and he's got a multivitamin that looks excellent..whole food based, no allergens, no excessive amounts of anything, and most importantly, they are third party tested for integrity by NSF. This is voluntary on the part of the company to be tested by an independent company for quality assurance, and NSF is the best. So I plan myself on trying this multivitamin...might be something to look into.

Liz

I buy a lot of Mercola's products, but never have purchased his vitamin line because they contain a grass...barley maybe? I tried to go look at the label just now so I could report back what was in it but the labels are no longer available. Just wanted to give you a head's up before you order. Yes, they say gluten-free but they still had a grass that concerned me. Just something to look into.

Wait, just found it...wheatgrass in the Multi Plus, nothing in the other. The other one must be new because I don't recall seeing it before. So, I guess one is safe and one is not. :rolleyes:

Archived