This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Herbal Colon Cleanse

Del

Del Rookie

Hi....

Has anyone on here done an Herb Colon Cleanse? What were your results, good or bad? Is this something you'd advise us doing or not?

Thanks.

Del

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Hi....

Has anyone on here done an Herb Colon Cleanse? What were your results, good or bad? Is this something you'd advise us doing or not?

Thanks.

Del

Colon Cleansing can be very dangerous. I would not advise.

Del Rookie
Colon Cleansing can be very dangerous. I would not advise.

Thanks, Momma Goose!

Del

loraleena Contributor

Could you please back up you opinion that colon cleansing can be very bad? I would like to know what you mean. Thanks.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Could you please back up you opinion that colon cleansing can be very bad? I would like to know what you mean. Thanks.

Yeah, and are we talking about enemas here or like, senna tea?

Lisa Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

Obviously, there are various degrees and methods of cleansing. I believe that some should be approached with caution.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Open Original Shared Link

Obviously, there are various degrees and methods of cleansing. I believe that some should be approached with caution.

This is still a pretty broad statement. I personally have trouble taking the warnings of this website seriously, it's obviously 'FDA approved' text and I don't trust them one bit. Other than the low-fat, high-fiber bandwagon which is creating the steep rise in modern illnesses, they also are responsible for untold numbers of high-speed drug approvals that kill people.

I guess the warning about internal tearing is somewhat legitimate, although I've never heard of a lethal enema. You just know that would make the news. But the standard FDA 'don't buy supplements, they don't work' is, in my opinion, just crap to keep you from being healthy so you buy THEIR drugs. Which might actually kill you. I just don't trust a 'health' organization that makes MORE money when people are sick.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If you do a search on a good search engine, I use google the most, and you put in the words 'colon cleansing dangers' you will have a lot come up.

I agree that these are dangerous for us as are 'liver and gallbladder cleanses'. Most of us have a leaky gut and a lot of 'stuff' that the normal uncompromised gut will exclude we will absorb. They also can upset the balance of GI flora and fauna if used to much, which in itself will cause D.

If you eat a good diet and are not consuming stuff your body is reacting to you really have no need to consider them.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I think these colon cleanses became popular around the time when processed foods also became popular. If you eat tons of fast food and processed chemical-laden foods, the digestive tract isn't going to be working well (the whole body won't work well). The standard advise of eating well and exercising will allow your colon to do just fine on its own. [Note that this is just my opinion and I don't have any studies to back it up.]

RiceGuy Collaborator

After researching colon cleanser products, I reached the conclusion that every one I found which uses fiber (such as psyllium) is basically a scam. The only thing they clean is your wallet. When I looked at the ingredients, it turns out that the regimen typically involves a bunch of herbal laxatives, followed by a bunch of fiber. The trick is that most people don't realize that psyllium fiber expands up to 50 times its volume as it absorbs water. That's why they tell you to drink a lot of water while doing the cleans. The fiber also becomes spongy.

People report passing all sort of "objects" or whatever unidentifiable stuff, and they really believe it was stuck inside them for a long time. However, just consider if you were to take ten of the fiber capsules and multiply that volume by 50, that's how much bulk you'll be passing! Last I checked, 10 x 50 = 500. So yes, you'll be passing something odd - the psyllium fiber. Swallowing that fiber means you'll have a pliable mass traveling through the digestive tract, and of course it takes the shape of the space it's in. The laxatives help ensure you'll be able to pass it, or you'd be quite uncomfortable.

As was said, look it up and judge for yourself.

There are other products which are said to be based on oxygen, but I haven't looked into those.

Now, there is some evidence that apple pectin helps in drawing out toxins and heavy metals. Like the saying goes; an apple a day...

Seems to me fruit pectin is sold for making homemade jellies and such. I don't know if that would be equally effective as apple pectin though. Maybe the lesson here is to include fruit as part of a healthy diet.

Archived