This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chronic Constipation For Years From Casein

griffen88

griffen88 Newbie

Hello,

I had my gall bladder removed at 18 and still had many stomach issues that never went away. I'm 50 now and about 5 years ago cut out most wheat products with dramatic results. I had non-stop all-day heartburn that virtually disappeared, but have still had to deal with chronic constipation. I always noticed that if I ate cheese, it felt like a brick travelling through my system. I could actually feel it sluggishly making its way through. I had also recently developed a constant burning on the left side, in between my rib and belly button.

My doctor recently did a colonoscopy and a barium enema and found I have a very long colon and diverticulosis... probably all caused by my chronic constipation. I had often gone to the doctors complaining about this problem and wondering whether it was due to dairy, but they always said "No, if it was dairy, you'd have diaharea (in other words: lactose intolerance). They kept saying that I needed to eat more fibre. This was completely crazy as my diet was pretty much as follows: Breakfast a banana, followed later by 2 cut up apples and figs. For lunch usually a salad with some sort of protein. Dinner usually tofu, whole grain rice, more vegetables. In between I was taking heaping teaspoons of psyllium husk with water and drinking about 8 large glasses of water a day. I was soooo bloated and sometimes still constipated even with all that fibre.

I am so grateful for this forum, because there was a post that gave me a clue that my problem with constipation might be caused by the casein protein in dairy products. I quit eating dairy and within a week I started to have normal bowel movements. Pretty much the same diet, but no psyllium husk and best of all, no straining. I also read this book: "The Bowel Book: A Self-Help Guide for Sufferers" by Michael Levitt, which talks in a very straight forward way about different bowel problems and this idea of throwing more and more fibre at constipation will sometimes that making it worse. He offers other solutions for chronic constipation.

The burning pain seems to be disappearing, so I am hopeful in time it will be gone. I know that eliminating gluten was an essential first step, but the casein was also a real troublemaker. The gluten/dairy free diet has literally changed my life for the better. For the first time in 50 years I am finally free of constant pain. So thanks to everyone for posting. It all helps! And I hope if someone with my problem reads this it might help. :) good health to you all!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

truthsearcher Rookie

Thanks for that post.

I too chronic C for years and lost my gallbladder. All fiber acts like a plug in me. I had all the GI colonoscopys and barium studies as well. I have a very redundant, sluggish colon. Food goes through me like jagged glass and a bowling ball and still no bm. Feels like I'm having baby contractions.

Avoiding casein and gluten has improved it but not completly.

Abdominal massage helps as well.

For me I believe Lyme disease is the main culprit. I'm praying as the lyme is treated I'll be a whole lot better.

Thanks,

Green12 Enthusiast

Glad you are finally getting results! Thanks for your post.

I also have suffered with "c" for many years. Psyllium was the worst for me and it sounds like it added to your situation as well.

Magnesium can be very helpful to relax and move the bowels too.

mftnchn Explorer

GFCFSF has helped me a lot too.  I am actually tolerating small amounts of dairy now and still having daily BM; I can't ever remember being this regular before.

The lyme may be playing a role for me but I treated lyme for 6.5 years and had no change in the bowel stuff until the GF diet.  I am quite sure that I am celiac at this point so probably although the two interact the celiac has been the major player for the C.

I am also using magnesium and Vit C; my body is particular about what brand and what form, but this has also really helped.

Recently I was thinking--I never knew I could have BM without straining or whatever; it is so different now.

Nancym Enthusiast

It's been known that dairy can cause constipation. Search for casomorphin in pubmed. Casein breaks down into morphine like peptides and guess what? Morphine causes constipation too.

I always remember my Mom saying that "cheese binds you up". It really did in our family.

Green12 Enthusiast
It's been known that dairy can cause constipation. Search for casomorphin in pubmed. Casein breaks down into morphine like peptides and guess what? Morphine causes constipation too.

I always remember my Mom saying that "cheese binds you up". It really did in our family.

I was going to mention the same thing.

I heard for years, "cheese is binding" :lol:

curlyfries Contributor
I was going to mention the same thing.

I heard for years, "cheese is binding" :lol:

:P Maybe that's why (before gluten-free) I only had slight D problems!(It was more GI related) I LOVE cheese! Now that I'm gluten-free/DF, if I get CC---watch out!! :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fedora Enthusiast

Oh my gosh, curly fries, Me too! I went off gluten first just to see the difference. Then I cut out dairy alot. When I ate cheese it totally stopped traffic. But when I had ice cream or butter, the water slide is open for business. :o

My grandmother said "Cheese binds you up"

Now that I am gluten-free/cf my intestines have to totally adjust. They are way more loosy goosy where before they were very slow. My psyllium had gluten in it. No wonder it did not work <_<

truthsearcher Rookie

Mftnchn,

Hi do you mind sharing what Vit C and Mg you found helpful. I've tried all kinds of both to no avail. Very high doses do nothing. The only Mg I found that helped somewhat was 3A Magnesia by Lane Medical. I have to take the full dose of 6 at bedtime to get any affect and this is the complete colon cleanse. :blink:

thanks

BTW I'm GFCFSF as well. On a rare occasion have some sugar.

Archived