17 replies to this topic

#1 chasing4

chasing4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:12 AM

On Monday when we found out that we had to cut out gluten from Skye's diet, the nurse told me that it was still okay for her to still eat Cheerios. I was surprised because I thought there was gluten in there.

We are new to this, so I let her eat Cheerios in the mornings. And then this morning, she woke me up because her stomach was hurting so bad. :( I even had to talk her into trying to go to school. So far she's still there.

Is Cheerios really okay for her to eat? Could we have accidentally fed her something else that we shouldn't have?
Patti, mom to twins Tessa and Skye (7), MacKenzie (5), and Aiden (4)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:16 AM

Cheerios if I am not mistaken contain oats which would make them unsafe for us. Hope this helps.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#3 stolly

stolly

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:21 AM

Cheerios definitely have gluten. I'm sorry you were misinformed. This website is a great resourse. My DD has been gluten free for 4 weeks, and it gets easier every day. You have to read every label...she can't have wheat, rye, barley, or oats (although that is debated by some, but we don't allow oats for now, and might only consider products labeled as gluten free oats in the future). Gluten can also be hidden on the labels, meaning "Natural flavors" or other ingredients could actually have gluten. I don't know how to post links to great lists for you about which ingredients are safe, and unsafe but it's on celiac.com, and I'm sure someone will come along and post the links for you. There are also some companies that will disclose all gluten on labels, so those are the easiest to trust and buy. Otherwise, it's best to call the company if there are any questionable ingredients. Post more specific questions about the type of foods your daughter likes, and I'm sure you'll get replies about foods to buy or try. Good luck with everything!
Holly
DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08
DS3: negative blood tests
Me and DH: negative blood tests

#4 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:21 AM

Unfortunately, the nurse led you wrong. :( Cheerios are not gluten-free.

Here are some of my kids' favorite gluten-free cereals:

- Rice Chex! They have just recently become gluten-free, but check the box because some of the older shipments still have barley malt in them!!!
- Trix
- Cocoa Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles
- Envirokids Gorilla Munch (kind of like a crunchier Kix.)
- Whole Foods 365 brand Cocoa Comets (kind of like Cocoa Puffs.)

If you have more questions, just ask-- this is a great place to get info!!!
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#5 stolly

stolly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:26 AM

Cheerios also contain wheat starch.
Holly
DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08
DS3: negative blood tests
Me and DH: negative blood tests

#6 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:28 AM

Click here for some of those lists Stolly mentioned.
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#7 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:49 AM

Cheerios are definitely off limits. They contain mainstream oats (can be contaminated with gluten grains) and wheat starch.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#8 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:15 AM

Almost every cereal in the cereal aisle contains that dreaded "barley malt" which means they contain gluten. You will get very frustrated reading labels looking for any that don't.

Others have given you good suggestions. Hopefully your daughter will like one of those.

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#9 babysteps

babysteps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:20 AM

there are some gluten-free cereals that look like cheerios, - so fare the ones I've tried aren't that great :huh:

:D There are some gluten-free rice cereals that are very much like rice crispies (rice crispies are not gluten-free, that malt again)

Also there are gluten-free corn flakes, mostly with plenty of sweetener (not my taste, but perhaps a plus for kids!) :)
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

#10 chasing4

chasing4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:34 AM

Everyone, thank you so much for your help. :)
Patti, mom to twins Tessa and Skye (7), MacKenzie (5), and Aiden (4)

#11 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:52 AM

There is a cereal called Perky O's that is available. I really want to try their version of Apple Jacks but my store only gets the plain. If you can find them they are gluten-free.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#12 TedL

TedL

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:07 AM

Trix is no good unfortunately -- it contains wheat starch. I'd be extremely cautious about any cereals from Post, Kellogs or General Mills unless they specifically say gluten free (like Rice Chex). As for recommendations, Honey Rice Puffins is pretty good (the other flavors contain gluten) and I also like the granola from Enjoy Life foods.

Regards,
Ted

Unfortunately, the nurse led you wrong. :( Cheerios are not gluten-free.

Here are some of my kids' favorite gluten-free cereals:

- Rice Chex! They have just recently become gluten-free, but check the box because some of the older shipments still have barley malt in them!!!
- Trix
- Cocoa Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles
- Envirokids Gorilla Munch (kind of like a crunchier Kix.)
- Whole Foods 365 brand Cocoa Comets (kind of like Cocoa Puffs.)

If you have more questions, just ask-- this is a great place to get info!!!

#13 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:16 AM

Trix is no good unfortunately -- it contains wheat starch. I'd be extremely cautious about any cereals from Post, Kellogs or General Mills unless they specifically say gluten free (like Rice Chex). As for recommendations, Honey Rice Puffins is pretty good (the other flavors contain gluten) and I also like the granola from Enjoy Life foods.

Regards,
Ted

I have a box of Trix at home on my counter, and it does not contain wheat starch. The formulation of trix goes back and forth, so you have to read the label every time. We do not buy them a lot, but do consume then occasionally.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#14 savvvyseller

savvvyseller

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:33 PM

I have a box of Trix at home on my counter, and it does not contain wheat starch. The formulation of trix goes back and forth, so you have to read the label every time. We do not buy them a lot, but do consume then occasionally.

Agreed - the listing on the General Mills website does not list wheat starch as an ingredient:

http://www.generalmi...n...&itemID=810

#15 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:14 PM

Agreed - the listing on the General Mills website does not list wheat starch as an ingredient:

http://www.generalmi...n...&itemID=810

Trix is currently safe but you always have to check the label.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: