This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sick, Discouraged, And Needing Support!

okgrace

okgrace Apprentice

Hi all,

I know there are a couple other posts like this out there right now, but Celiac's is much tougher than I intially thought.

My first reaction was oh well change her diet a bit, no prob. I have shifted into my child is not allowed out of my sight, not allowed to be in the presence of food other than her own, and is no longer safe anywhere. I am convinced we need to do an elimanation diet because we can't afford further testing as we don't have insurance. I have read that and elimination diet is more accurate also. My DH who can be wonderful about the gluten-free thing, is not at all on board with this. Which is so frustrating since he hasn't been officially diagnosed, but his dad has celiacs and our four year old dd does as well. He has tons of stomach issues. I really don't except for nervous bowels :huh: I am making a huge effort and eating gluten-free myself, while he is at work cheating and feeling like crap. AHHHH!

My dd had the flu this week and any parent knows how much fun that is. Now she's better, but moody. Actually MOODY with caps. He doesn't understand the emotional component of the whole thing and it's not that he doesn't want to understand, it's just that he doesn't want to understand. It's so much easier to have me do all the fretting and the work and through my profession I deal with most of these issues all the time anyway. But it is impossible to give him advice on how to deal with her, so I don't. He does a good job most of the time, but when everyone is sick and you are awakened super early just to hear someone whine and fuss and nothing in the world will make it better, he tends to lose it. Which I can understand the temptation, but its just not helpful.

On a positive note the potty training regression is improving, and she is not wetting the bed at night as frequently. (she won't keep diapers on, a whole Sensory thing) Yeah!!! The naturopath told me on wed. that when kids get fevers or sick that it sets them back to what they know. So that explains the whole moody thing, just when I thought we were making progress. Here comes some more Unda's for her!

Thanks for letting me vent, nobody understands like those who are in the trenches. :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lizz7711 Apprentice

You know, i've been visiting these boards for a few months, and have still not quite figured out all the abbreviations...DD, DH etc. I'm sure it's posted on the website somewhere so I should just look it up.

anyway, I can totally relate to your paranoia about food now...my duaghter is 8 and we've been Gluten-free Casein-free for about 4 months. We're pretty strict, but not to the extreme yet, as far as cross contamination at restaurants etc. (not that we eat out often at all). But I think as far as behaviors go, I noticed a huge improvement in my daughter after about 2 months on the diet...she still gets upset and irrational at times, but she gets over it way quicker (i.e. 30 min instead of 3 hour tantrums, and this in an 8 year old). Now I can always tell when she has had either wheat or the food dyes by her behavior.

you may be noticing more behavior issues if she had medicine while sick--they have alot of food dyes as well. Anyway, hang in there, i hope she feels better soon and that your hubbie gets with the program!

Liz

Hi all,

I know there are a couple other posts like this out there right now, but Celiac's is much tougher than I intially thought.

My first reaction was oh well change her diet a bit, no prob. I have shifted into my child is not allowed out of my sight, not allowed to be in the presence of food other than her own, and is no longer safe anywhere. I am convinced we need to do an elimanation diet because we can't afford further testing as we don't have insurance. I have read that and elimination diet is more accurate also. My DH who can be wonderful about the gluten-free thing, is not at all on board with this. Which is so frustrating since he hasn't been officially diagnosed, but his dad has celiacs and our four year old dd does as well. He has tons of stomach issues. I really don't except for nervous bowels :huh: I am making a huge effort and eating gluten-free myself, while he is at work cheating and feeling like crap. AHHHH!

My dd had the flu this week and any parent knows how much fun that is. Now she's better, but moody. Actually MOODY with caps. He doesn't understand the emotional component of the whole thing and it's not that he doesn't want to understand, it's just that he doesn't want to understand. It's so much easier to have me do all the fretting and the work and through my profession I deal with most of these issues all the time anyway. But it is impossible to give him advice on how to deal with her, so I don't. He does a good job most of the time, but when everyone is sick and you are awakened super early just to hear someone whine and fuss and nothing in the world will make it better, he tends to lose it. Which I can understand the temptation, but its just not helpful.

On a positive note the potty training regression is improving, and she is not wetting the bed at night as frequently. (she won't keep diapers on, a whole Sensory thing) Yeah!!! The naturopath told me on wed. that when kids get fevers or sick that it sets them back to what they know. So that explains the whole moody thing, just when I thought we were making progress. Here comes some more Unda's for her!

Thanks for letting me vent, nobody understands like those who are in the trenches. :rolleyes:

Archived