This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Metabolism Stinks!

cmichelle

cmichelle Newbie

Hello, everyone. I am not new here but I hadn't been here for a while thanks to life events keeping us very busy around here. So I forgot my old password and needed to make a new account. I was Spruette a while back.

NOW. We're caught up.

My metabolism is soooo not normal. Going gluten-free three years ago, I thought would help it but actually it is a bit worse.

What gluten-free and GERD friendly treatments are there to help speed that puppy up? I sometimes go DAYS without a BM. I know that is probably too much information but we are all celiacs, we have all been through it all. I thought my digestive tract would get better and faster but no change. My levels are perfect every blood test and my recent biopsy and endoscopy and colonoscopy in August told my doctor and I that I am controlling the Celiac very very well. But still where is my metabolism?

I have gained SO much weight and really do not eat that much. Fiber supplements make me sick for some reason (well the pills and powders like Fibercon and Metamucil.) So what else is there to naturally kick up that metabolism? It is like food and fats go in and NEVER come out! My body is a trap for it. Please any suggestions would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.

P.S. Caffeine is not an option since I have GERD and LPR. :)

P.S.S. I have Lupus as well so some exercises are out of the question as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest hightop girl

I shouldn't even post a reply because I am so new to this, I have no answers. But... I have the same problem. I hope someone has some answers out there because my weight is climbing.

cmichelle Newbie
I shouldn't even post a reply because I am so new to this, I have no answers. But... I have the same problem. I hope someone has some answers out there because my weight is climbing.

No, really your reply is even helpful in telling me I am NOT alone. It is so strange - I was thinking that my metabolism would increase thanks to a better digestive tract but it has slowed down immensely. :( Thanks for the reply. :)

RiceGuy Collaborator

My first thought is magnesium. Not only is it vital to practically every bodily function, but it can get your digestive tract moving like nothing else I've ever heard of. Try one of the powdered forms, preferably in orange juice (or other acidic juice). The juice will greatly magnify the absorption, thus the effectiveness. According to statistics, approximately 70% of Americans are deficient in magnesium.

The other thing which comes to mind is coconut oil. It gets digested and burned very easy, raising the metabolism/thyroid function.

flourgirl Apprentice

No answers here. After dropping so much weight pre-diagnosis, I got used to being very thin, and I confess I enjoyed the small size. Now that I'm gluten-free, in the last month Im blowing up like a balloon. I can't say that I overeat, and I do get exercise. My muscle tone is finally shaping back up. For the first time in my life I'm accumulating fat around my waist (and I don't like it!!! :angry: ) I don't know what to change to get rid of it. I DO know that pre celiac I was hyperthyroid, but my last test showed normal range. Go figure! I'd like to hear from others about possible solutions, too. Thanks!

cmichelle Newbie

Thanks you for the magnesium suggestion and the coconut oil. I can not have orange juice because of LPR - my voice box is "on fire" according to my ENT. I would need to take it with something low in acid content. But that is certainly something I am willing to try.

Truthfully, and I know this is going to sound awful, I thought of going back on gluten long enough to lose the weight. Right before I went on this, I had lost soooo much weight. I also felt kind of happy about that even though I was sicker than a dog, I liked that I was losing weight without even TRYING. Everyone kept saying "Are you dieting, you have lost so much weight." I would tell them "Nope." It felt wonderful to at least keep getting skinny without trying. Though I know it was tearing my body up and what was around the corner is not worth it.

But I so want my figure back and I am pretty desperate to find it! :) I will try the magnesium powder thing first but can I substitute the orange juice with something else because my doctor will SCREAM if I drink orange juice even once right now since we are trying to heal my esophagus.

Thanks again for the suggestions and support!

RiceGuy Collaborator

Ah, ok. Then I will suggest magnesium in capsule form. Again, the acidic forms are better absorbed, so magnesium citrate would be my suggestion. Here is one such product: Open Original Shared Link

After your additional responses, I would say the coconut oil is not as likely to give you what you are looking for, especially if there are acute nutrient deficiencies (which seems to be the case).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AliB Enthusiast

You can add me to this one, too! I really thought that once I had dropped gluten my body would start to sort itself out and I would lose weight. Yeah, in my dreams. I've always had a problem with carbs but now I only have to look at the stuff and I put on yet another lb!

What the heck is going on here?!! Before gluten-free I had lost nearly 3 stone but it has been creeping back on and I am not a happy bunny. Short of going on a Food-free diet I don't know what to do!

superbeansprout Rookie

I would say there are probably a few essential oils out there either in oil form or pill form that you can take to help with that situation. I guess in the old days, parents used to give castor oil to their kids to help them NOT be constipated, and to keep them regular. Also bananas have a lot of potassium, which can help that as well. as well as avocado also has good essential oils. You could just be one of those people who doesn't have a BM every day...some people only go once or twice a week!

Another thing you may want to check into is those "normal" ranges for thyroid...the ranges changed a few years ago, yet most doctors still go by the old "normal". Also, one theory of thought on thyroid levels is that everyone is different...one person in the middle of the normal range may still feel really crappy, but when they adjust medication to make them in the lower of the range they feel fine. and yet another person may feel much better in the higher end of the range. So, just because you're in the normal range for thyroid levels, doesn't necessarily mean you are at YOUR best level. Even slight changes to your thyroid levels can make a huge difference in weight gain, and regularity.

cmichelle Newbie

I have hypothyroidism. Get this, SOMETIMES. It underproduces sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. Doctors wont treat it yet because sometimes my levels come back normal and sometimes they don't but they said it is too mild to treat when it doesn't. But then my aunt has been taking meds for her thyroid for ages and still has the weight she can't shed so I have very little confidence it would make me shed weight either. Unless my thyroid was REALLY SEVERELY underproducing - I don't know... I mean that is what the doctor said but at the same time, doctors misdiagnosed and mistreated my Celiac for more than 10 years before I found a good doctor who found it. I don't have a lot of faith in the medical world sometimes.

Thanks for all the feedback. Oils - my dad does a spoon full of some sort of oil, forgot which. I just figured it was because he was a senior citizen but maybe I should take it too if it will help out.

Which oils are not fattening and will speed up metabolism however? Aren't some fattening? I thought I read that somewhere. Maybe I am mistaken.

Guest hightop girl

I had Grave's disease and my thyroid radiated about 21 years ago. I have been on total replacement meds ever since. It is hard to lose weight when that is the case. Let me know if any of the oils work. I am also pretty frustrated.

RiceGuy Collaborator
Which oils are not fattening and will speed up metabolism however? Aren't some fattening? I thought I read that somewhere. Maybe I am mistaken.

Any oil would be fattening IF your body decides to store it rather than burn it. That being said, coconut oil is the one which stands out as being less likely to put on weight. This is because unlike other oils, coconut oil is about half medium chain fatty acids, which happen to be very easy for the body to absorb and burn. Studies seem to indicate that the average person will likely burn it for fuel before storing it. This has been shown to help raise thyroid function, thus aiding in losing weight. However, that probably doesn't mean everyone will see weight reducing effects from coconut oil. But it is one of the healthiest oils in the world, so if you are going to use oil for cooking or baking, that would appear to be the most preferable for someone trying to lose weight. Besides, it's delicious, and is a solid up to about 76

Guest hightop girl

would it have any benefits for those of us with no thyroid? (coconut oil)

RiceGuy Collaborator
would it have any benefits for those of us with no thyroid? (coconut oil)

Apparently so, because it gives the body quick energy.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention something else I read: If memory serves, when burned by the body, coconut oil lends an extra molecule which the body can then use to burn body fat. From what I've read, animal fats are the most likely to put on weight because the body can't break it down as easily, but the extra molecule from coconut oil can be attached to the long chain fatty acid, giving the body an easier way to break it down.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Sometimes, it's the adrenal glands, and not the thyroid that is the problem. My metabolism just seemed to die. When I didn't know about celiac disease, I gianed weight, when I am malnorished, I gain. Gluten does not normally make me lose, it makes me gain. My sister loses, go figure! So, when I start gaining, I know something is wrong with my system.

When I was trying to jump-start my metabolism, a doctor told me I had to trick it. She said to eat 100 calories every 2 hours, all day long, up too around 1200 calories--which was a lot for me to eat. Keep track of what you eat, write everything down, so you can see what you are doing. One meal could be 2 ozs of cheese, if you eat cheese, one meal, a small apple, 2 tbs of peanut butter, if you like it. Then walk for 20 mins each day--you always have to add exercise, if you want to lose. I hate the word exercise too, but it's the only way to lose and firm up. I will admit, there was so much more going on with me at the time this doctor put me on this regiment, I also had to have a hysterectomy, so I fell away from this.

This January, I got a UTI, and was glutened by a medication. I had a very difficult time getting over that glutening, my immune system must have went into overkill. I just could not get my tummy back to it's normal. In March, my best friend told me I had lost weight, I thought he was joking, which I should know better, he would never joke about my weight with me. A week later, I jumped on my scales, and even thought it was broken. Finally, he got on my scales, and jokingly said, "Well, it is about 1# different from mine. So, does that mean YOU HAVE LOST WEIGHT???" I have lost 26# since January, I am delighted. I think, with the glutening, the tummy upset, the weight loss, I finally have jumpstarted my metabolism.

I will tell you this much--I have eliminated all high fructose corn syrup from my diet. It's not good for any of us anyways, and if you read ingredients, it's in so much. It adds #'s we don't need. I watch my carbs because I also feel they are bad for me. I am intolerant of so much. I am in the process of giving up sweeteners, which I have used for over 40 yrs. I also gave up caffiene--I will never give up coffee!!! I do not EVER drink soda. Watch the gluten free flours too, they are very high in calories, and they are also high in carbs.

Hang in there!

cmichelle Newbie

Wow, that was a great post! Thank you!

I eliminated soda from my diet more than three years ago. In fact, all I drink is water. All day long. I can't have caffeine which to me - STINKS! I like the boost I used to get from it but then someone told me it was artificial anyway and that is why I would crash a few hours into the day and need more to keep going. Sugar being the exact same way. They said it actually makes you MORE tired then you began.

With my Celiac and my gluten days, I gained and lost and gained and lost. There was no level ground. My lowest was 98 pounds, my highest was 211, of course the 211 was also due to some medication they had given me that was just CRAZY with the weight gain. (An overnight thing) once that medicine was gone, weight shredded off of me like you wouldn't believe. My metabolism was back for a while. I went down to ALMOST normal weight for my height in a matter of a few months.

Then when I went gluten free, (And quit smoking I might add), my metabolism got slower and slower. My energy levels dropped, my weight increased. It was a terrible feeling to see it start coming back (not quite as bad as I was, but I don't want it to get there either.) The compliments on my weight loss had started to disappear and I knew I was not imagining it.

Thing is I don't eat that much at all!!! Really! I am lucky if I squeeze two meals in a day. Constantly sipping on water all day long. I just don't get it. It's like the gluten protein did a lot of damage to my duedenum (sp) but it really was good for my metabolism at least.

(Sorry, this post turned out longer than I had hoped for.)

Oh Riceguy, I will google info about coconut oil as well. Thank you!

RiceGuy Collaborator
I will tell you this much--I have eliminated all high fructose corn syrup from my diet. It's not good for any of us anyways, and if you read ingredients, it's in so much. It adds #'s we don't need. I watch my carbs because I also feel they are bad for me. I am intolerant of so much. I am in the process of giving up sweeteners, which I have used for over 40 yrs. I also gave up caffiene--I will never give up coffee!!! I do not EVER drink soda. Watch the gluten free flours too, they are very high in calories, and they are also high in carbs.

Hang in there!

I agree about the high fructose corn syrup, sugar, empty carbs, etc. Now, when you mention sweeteners, I hope you mean the ones based on sugars, and the artificial ones. That basically leaves Stevia, which is wonderful IMO. Not only is it natural, but it has no sugars, no carbs, no calories, and zero glycemic. It comes from an herb, the leaves of which are so sweet, the natives of Paraguay (where Stevia is indigenous) use them to sweeten tea and such. They also use the leaves to make preparations for wounds, as it not only prevents infections, but assists in the healing process. That has been true for centuries, and the plant was considered a myth until some explorer made two expeditions in order to find it. That was in the 1500's. OK, enough history...

As for the gluten-free flours being high carb, I must take issue with that statement, as it is not true for all gluten-free flours. It is true however, for the starchy ones so often used in the attempt to make "white bread". So things like tapioca, corn starch, potato flour, sweet white rice flour, etc are indeed high in carbs. But many others are not, such as buckwheat, millet, t'eff, amaranth, and bean flours, just to name a few.

One thing I don't understand is what people like about coffee. I tasted it once or twice, and couldn't stand it! Practically everyone I know seems addicted to the stuff :huh:

Ivanna44 Apprentice
Hello, everyone. I am not new here but I hadn't been here for a while thanks to life events keeping us very busy around here. So I forgot my old password and needed to make a new account. I was Spruette a while back.

NOW. We're caught up.

My metabolism is soooo not normal. Going gluten-free three years ago, I thought would help it but actually it is a bit worse.

What gluten-free and GERD friendly treatments are there to help speed that puppy up? I sometimes go DAYS without a BM. I know that is probably too much information but we are all celiacs, we have all been through it all. I thought my digestive tract would get better and faster but no change. My levels are perfect every blood test and my recent biopsy and endoscopy and colonoscopy in August told my doctor and I that I am controlling the Celiac very very well. But still where is my metabolism?

I have gained SO much weight and really do not eat that much. Fiber supplements make me sick for some reason (well the pills and powders like Fibercon and Metamucil.) So what else is there to naturally kick up that metabolism? It is like food and fats go in and NEVER come out! My body is a trap for it. Please any suggestions would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.

P.S. Caffeine is not an option since I have GERD and LPR. :)

P.S.S. I have Lupus as well so some exercises are out of the question as well.

hi cmichelle or Spruette

Sorry to hear about the weight issue being worse in terms of going gluten-free . I'll admit it left me feeling like > geeeze no hope.. :( based on the reply posts too.

Although I didn't have my skinny days as a result of celiac. I was a great deal thinner 2 years ago, 117 lbs, had 18% body fat. And at age 42 due to a major trauma, I lost a ton of weight 30 odd pounds, in 2 months, down to 125, I started working out like crazy then to Keep it.!!! I was like 155 before. I dropped to 117 due to one hour workouts and at the time, when I dropped to 122, and wanted to gain weight with muscle. I got the opposite >> lost more, my metabolism was on HIGH gear then. It always seems to work the opposite to what you want :( Like you, I'd give anything to be even 125 again. At age 42 at that time, I was in better shape than I was in my 20s. Who would not want the body of a 20 year old again :)

In the past two years I've gained 20 pounds, at 144 last time I checked. I am so afraid I'll balloon to that 155 again or more. Which major depresses me. I know most of my problem is not working out. I just stopped working out, when I went to having 3 hours sleep a night. My son started an autism preschool last year and he is an extereme late nighter, awake till 12am or that. >No matter what I do, can't get him in bed earlier. It is also a year round school, so I get no break from the 5:30am wake ups in the summer months. Anyhow. As a result of that, I went from getting 6 odd hours sleep a night to the 3-4 depending on the day. Add in a teenager daughter with an very active social life (I home school, so lots of outings).. and I simply am either too exhausted to workout, or have no time. :( Add in I take sleeping tablets nightly, due to insommnia from having a son who don't sleep; and these damm pills, get me kinda stoned, and I go on "munchies" extreme some nights. The only part I hate about them, the "munchies stoner" effect, they work fast, within 20 mins of taking you can feel the "buzz" so to speak. I'm trying now to get off them now, due to that "munchies" side effect and afraid now that the doctor is still encouraging me to stay gluten free; and remove all traces of it, that I might in that "stoned" faze eat something with gluten in it. :(

One of the first things that changed was bm's. Sleep or a lack of it, can cause real havock on your system. One thing that really helps me, I take 2 tablets nightly. Is "Cleanse More" Colon Support formula by Digestive Care Company. It has NO dariy, wheat, gluten, soy, corn, yeast, animal products, additives or preservatives. Each tablet contains: magnesium hydroxide 125mg; cape aloe gel 250mg; rhurrab root 200mg; slippery elm bark 50mg; marshmallow root 50mg; triphala 50mg.

You take it on a empty stomach, I usually take 2 hours after dinner. I took it in once to my doctor; and she said >good for you, nothing but good stuff in there. This was when I brought in all my herbs, vitimans I was on, for the doc, to look over prior to me having the bloods tests done, that resulted in her suggesting I go gluten-free .

Anyhow, I've taken that for the past 2 years now and days I don't take it, I can't go. (The product has a picture of a sun of it) I get it at GNC for 24$ Canadian. 120 tabs. Not recommended for those with Chron's or ulcerative colitis.

Back in the skinny days too, I also did a lot of protein drinks and protein bars. I'd go like 3 times a day back then, the protein drink was like a laxative to me some days. Right now, I'm searching for a gluten-free version of a protein drink. I really miss having it; now that I'm trying to squeeze in (even 10 mins. if I can spare) doing the weights/cardio workout. A lot of days those protein bars were my Lunch on the run... you can do a lot of stuff when you on the run and have a protein bar!!! race against the clock. If need be, I'd make my own protein bars with gluten-free flours etc. So If anyone knows of a good brand of protein drink that is gluten-free that I can find at a local health food store. Can you pass on some brand names for me to look for. :)

Anyhow, hope that helps. Those Cleanse More vegetable tablets helped me a lot.

cmichelle Newbie

Wow, not only was your post helpful Ivanna44, but inspiring!

I have been told that the only exercise I should do at the moment due to the other health issues outside of Celiac, are walking. Conveniently in our building (we rent at the moment) we have a workout room with a treadmill. I am really really really shy however when it comes to exercising in front of strangers (why I will never belong to a gym.) I am fine if my husband is there with me but I just don't know why it is that I feel shy working out in front of people. I should take advantage of the free treadmill we have more. I never know what is the correct amount of exorcise or nutrients or anything. I was never taught how to live healthy because until I was 21 years old and became really really sick, I was very very healthy. Or it seemed. I was one of those young people who NEVER got sick. Until my early 20s after my own trauma situation - and I thought it was stress at first because doctors said it was but it never went away. Then my GI doctor I was referred to was AMAZING and found Celiac ten years AFTER I became ill but at least it was found. Most of the gluten-free living is great. I used to have to take nausea tablets EVERY DAY from nausea without knowing why. It was Compazine. The big guns - used for Chemo patients. It was terrible that I needed it. Then when I went gluten-free, the compazine was no longer needed. At all. Unless I get Glutened. I have had the same bottle of 20 compazine tablets for nearly a year. Don't need them.

But like I said the bad effects are the metabolism. I do feel tired more but unsure if that is metabolism or my new found connective tissue disease. Regardless, something should be done before I ever were to get as heavy as I was when I was on those pills that one time. That scared me.

I will take a lot of your advice and I have seen those protein shakes and bars as well, thinking 'do they really work?'? But then I notice it has wheat in them and say "Well, that's not an option." So I never tried them.

Hey everyone, how does everyone feel about the GREEN TEA I hear so much about? Does that boost your metabolism the way they say it does?? I have had some in the past but it was just because I felt like trying a bottle for the taste. Never knew the metabolism booster it had. Is it helpful??

MelliDuff Rookie

Mumm I have gained 12 pounds in the last month in a half from going gluten free. I was 125 now i am at 137. I am only 5'4, I run everyday 3 miles and i walk after dinner for 2 miles at night. I have cut out weights because of this weight gain I do not want to get bigger (muscle weighs twice as much as fat). When I wake up in the morning my fingers feel swollen and my shoes are tight - I have went from a size 1 to a size 6/8. It's totally depressing. :angry:

I have hypothyroidism. Get this, SOMETIMES. It underproduces sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. Doctors wont treat it yet because sometimes my levels come back normal and sometimes they don't but they said it is too mild to treat when it doesn't. But then my aunt has been taking meds for her thyroid for ages and still has the weight she can't shed so I have very little confidence it would make me shed weight either. Unless my thyroid was REALLY SEVERELY underproducing - I don't know... I mean that is what the doctor said but at the same time, doctors misdiagnosed and mistreated my Celiac for more than 10 years before I found a good doctor who found it. I don't have a lot of faith in the medical world sometimes.

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, I have fluctuation lvls of THS and on a range of 0-30 for the normal my antibodies in my thyroid were 840 last time i checked. My thyroid cycles from hypo to hyper at any given time. If your doctor will not give you thyroid medicine go to another doctor and ask for your antibodies to be checked. (they call it a thyroid panel II (2) test. The only way to prevent your thyroid from being killed off, eventually completely useless, is to get on some kind of replacement therapy so that your thyroid switches off before it completely kills itself.

Christa

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Yes, I am speaking of sweeteners, like Equal, Splenda, and the like. I never use Stevia because I do not like the taste. I never found anything sweet about it, I always felt it was bitter. It's a taste you have to learn to like, and I never learned to like it.

As for coffee, I am not addicted, I just love coffee. When I went caffeine free, it didn't effect me at all, never has. I could always drink a cup of coffee just before bed, and it made no difference to me at all. I have loved coffee since I was little. My sister has hated coffee, since she was little. My daughter doesn't drink tea or coffee! I have a cup in the morning, I drink water all day at work, I usually have a cup at lunch time, and I have a cup at supper time, maybe 2, that's it. And now, I drink decaf and am just as happy.

Most flours are higher in carbs, as a rule, just as they are higher in calories. I can't have any grains anymore, so I don't do any flours. I can't have potatoes, so I do not use potato flour either, just as I can't have tapioca flour.

Ivanna44 Apprentice

I have been told that the only exercise I should do at the moment due to the other health issues outside of Celiac, are walking. Conveniently in our building (we rent at the moment) we have a workout room with a treadmill. I am really really really shy however when it comes to exercising in front of strangers (why I will never belong to a gym.) I am fine if my husband is there with me but I just don't know why it is that I feel shy working out in front of people. I should take advantage of the free treadmill we have more. I never know what is the correct amount of exorcise or nutrients or anything. I was never taught how to live healthy because until I was 21 years old and became really really sick, I was very very healthy. Or it seemed. I was one of those young people who NEVER got sick. Until my early 20s after my own trauma situation - and I thought it was stress at first because doctors said it was but it never went away. Then my GI doctor I was referred to was AMAZING and found Celiac ten years AFTER I became ill but at least it was found. Most of the gluten-free living is great. I used to have to take nausea tablets EVERY DAY from nausea without knowing why. It was Compazine. The big guns - used for Chemo patients. It was terrible that I needed it. Then when I went gluten-free, the compazine was no longer needed. At all. Unless I get Glutened. I have had the same bottle of 20 compazine tablets for nearly a year. Don't need them.

But like I said the bad effects are the metabolism. I do feel tired more but unsure if that is metabolism or my new found connective tissue disease. Regardless, something should be done before I ever were to get as heavy as I was when I was on those pills that one time. That scared me.

I will take a lot of your advice and I have seen those protein shakes and bars as well, thinking 'do they really work?'? But then I notice it has wheat in them and say "Well, that's not an option." So I never tried them.

Hey everyone, how does everyone feel about the GREEN TEA I hear so much about? Does that boost your metabolism the way they say it does?? I have had some in the past but it was just because I felt like trying a bottle for the taste. Never knew the metabolism booster it had. Is it helpful??

Hi again, cmichelle'

I did some snooping tonight in regards to the protein drinks etc, this time with the search being "glutten free" versions. Back in the skinny days (pre-gluten free days too :( ) , I had 2 of those protein drinks a day. One at lunch time (either protein bar, or protein drink) and one after I worked out. The idea being that you are replacing lost protein and it helps with muscle recovery so forth, after the work out.

Anyhow here's some name brands I came across that are *supposedly* gluten free. Please REad labels and re-READ labels. As some of these brand names came from some gluten-free forums that were posted in the 2005/2006 years.

But, it does help to have "names" to search for.

"Nu-Life-To_Diet_For" Protein shakes gluten-free

"GenSoy Protein Powder"

"Muscle Milk" by CytoSport

"IsoPure" by Nature's Best

"Dream Protein Whey Powder" gluten-free

"IsoFlex" by ALLMAX Products

All are supposedly gluten-free , but again I urge you to double check and read the labels, or call/ email companies to be Sure!

I also went snooping for some protein bars recipes that could be modified as gluten-free versions. I came across this site that was a "flax seed recipe" and information site. They had a ton of ideas for recipes for ground flaxseed. Who would have ever thought of adding 1/2 cup to 1 cup of ground flaxseed to their rice krispie squares. Being fairly new to the gluten-free club and those who are gluten intolerant, I used to eat quick breads etc, in morning. However when I went gluten-free a month ago, I had no ideas what to make in terms of that "grab and go" foods. In the mornings due to my son, it is usually 2 hours later that I cook up the gluten-free brown rice cereal. I know most of my problem is not eating in the mornings, so I tend to make up for it later in the day. I don't eat near as much if I do grab* something in the morning.

Anyhow, there was a number of recipes at that site that could be modified to gluten-free versions, simply by changin the gluten items to non gluten ones.

Flaxseed is an excellent "protein" there's an amazing 20 grams of protein per 100 grams (that's about 1/2 cup). Personally when I do add it to things like salad and that, I don't really taste it, its just a bunch of brown flecks on the salad to me. Add a few teaspoons of flaxseed to the protein drink and think how'd you'd boost up the protein value. One book I had, used before said we should be having at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. Thats a lot of protein, even for a 100 pound person. But, again I strongly believe IMO that protein builds muscle mass, the more lean muscle mass you have, the more the *burn* of the fat. Which none of us wants :angry: The fat!!!

Anyhow, not only does the flaxseed add in the protein to your diet, it's the *whole wheat* for us that can't take the *whole wheat*.. Its more packed with fibre than whole wheat too. There's a huge amount of fibre in it. Soluble fibre, helps us not only eat less, as it makes it fill full faster, but it goes through out digestive tracts faster, aka, resulting in less constipation. The more you go!! well you know... flush the fat!!!!!!!!!! so to speak :D :D haha

Here's the site, again REMEMBER to sub the glutten stuff for non-gluten versions.

Open Original Shared Link

In terms of the not wanting to "workout" in a public place, even an apartment's gym. I fully understand. I was young once too. Even now, in my 40s I'm still subconscious of others looking at my *fat bottom*... but, as a old friend of mine said once "They'll only look once!" :rolleyes:

Start out with 10 mins. a day, do it 6 days a week. Go slow. It takes time to build up endurance and flexiability so forth. Its not done in one day.. You'll hurt yourself too, not to mention increase recovery time needed. Start out with 10 mins. on the treadmill or just plain old walking outdoors, or dancing in home. Who cares, they always say "do something you actually" like doing. Walk the mall for 10 mins.. hehe

Then increase each week by 1 minute, until you reach 45 minutes. This way, you are not only allowing your body time to strengthing up, but you increase your endurance. And again, its' not done over night. When I did those one hour workouts >stepper and weights, I started out with 10 minutes and I built it up to the hour.

Good luck

gfp Enthusiast

I have been told that the only exercise I should do at the moment due to the other health issues outside of Celiac, are walking. Conveniently in our building (we rent at the moment) we have a workout room with a treadmill.

The great outdoors is another option....

I am really really really shy however when it comes to exercising in front of strangers (why I will never belong to a gym.) I am fine if my husband is there with me but I just don't know why it is that I feel shy working out in front of people.
Many people are, nothing weird... however I strongly advise ... get over it.... (I know its easier to say than do)

I have a friend who is 1/4 cherokee and inhetirted a metabolism... he was obese in Europe where obesity is not so common hates exersize and had a bad diet and smoked 100 a day. Whenhe was told he would die (not might..would) if he didn't change he did. He has lost over 150lbs ithe last year.. he hates the gym but spends 1hr a day there, he gets all sorts of interfering comments (look at the fat guy on the exersize bike) .. etc. and he swims 2 miles a day.. 6 days a week.

He is now bordering overweight/obese after shedding 150lbs... so imagine the feeling he had.

so

I should take advantage of the free treadmill we have more.
Yep, honestly get over it.. see a councellor or whatever but you mustget yourself out of the catch-22.

I never know what is the correct amount of exorcise or nutrients or anything. I was never taught how to live healthy because until I was 21 years old and became really really sick, I was very very healthy. Or it seemed. I was one of those young people who NEVER got sick.
I don't think most people do.... Northern Americans an Europeans get told drink lots of milk... lots of fibre from a daily loaf etc. Its not until we get sick most of us HAVE to learn.

Eat less .. eat healthy... if it doesn't look like food its probably not good! By this I mean a protein shake etc. doesn't look like food. Stick to small portions of real food... stay clear of anything processed, with additives etc. You will feel hungry.. you are used to eating more than you need but ...

The best (healthy) way to loose weight and keep it off is to eat the right amount of healthy food and do exersize. Your exersize is restricted so you must do what you can and reduce your intake of food overall while adding as much high nutrition food. As a celiac your adsorbtion is off... this means you might lack vitamins or minerals. If your body needs them it will make you hungry, if you add empty calories then it still needs the nutrients so you STILL feel hungry ...

So stay well clear of added sugar, snack foods ... try and make each meal count (nutritionally)... if you can get a screen done you might get pointers as to what your body is missing and simplify this. If you have cravings then these can also be pointers...

cmichelle Newbie
so

Yep, honestly get over it.. see a councellor or whatever but you mustget yourself out of the catch-22.

I apologize but the overuse of "get over it" and than telling me to see a counselor in efforts to use a treadmill was a bit far fetched so I stopped reading there. I am looking for mature, helpful responses, not demeaning and degrading ones. Thanks for your "efforts".

BTW, we don't have the options of the great outdoors - we live on a mountain and I have a connective tissue disease that I can not "get over".

I should have expected this. I know how these message boards work, there is always a group who are insistant on being rude and behaving like children.

Maybe you should see a counselor on your over use of catch phrases. ;)

RiceGuy Collaborator
Yes, I am speaking of sweeteners, like Equal, Splenda, and the like. I never use Stevia because I do not like the taste. I never found anything sweet about it, I always felt it was bitter. It's a taste you have to learn to like, and I never learned to like it.

Interesting. Most times when I read statements like that, it is in regard to the liquids or the cheap stuff. Many of the powdered ones have fillers and junk. They are typically low grade, which means a rather high amount of impurities, thus have an aftertaste. The only one I use is different than all the others. Not only is it from Brazil, not China, but it is the purest available, meaning no aftertaste (at least not to me). I can't say that it should be sweet to everyone, but I find it beats all the others I've tried. It's called Simply-Stevia, made by Stevita. It's a very fine pure powder, no fillers or additives or anything else at all - just pure stevia. I never had to adapt to it or anything, but maybe because I haven't used sugar in years, and don't generally eat heavily sweet foods. Before I started using Stevia, the only sweet stuff I had was naturally so, like fruit. So from that, I get the impression Stevia works better for people who don't generally use a lot of sugar. I think that makes a difference in the person's sense of taste.

Archived