#1 toomuchagony

toomuchagony

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:40 PM

Greetings Folks!

Well gee, I am wondering (and frankly fearing) about "Adhesives" now, due to my recently CCing myself by "licking some bill payment envelopes", (I paid for days with MORE sickness for that eh! :(

Anyway, so I would like to ask; Do ALL "adhesives" contain Gluten, or no? As in scotch tape/ duct tape/ or packing tape. AND what about other "fixatives", "epoxies", or "sealants". I am a "property manager" so I use all sorts of stuff like this frequently, and so I want to know if I need to do so with more care now or if they pose no threat. THANKS so muchly in advance for any inputs :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

Most adhesives do not contain gluten. Resin based products, such as epoxy, and most solvent-based adhesives (sealants, plastic cement) do not contain gluten.

Some adhesives of the kind that use water/saliva as an activator do, but even then it is not all of them.

I don't have a list, because by and large, I don't eat the adhesives, and wash carefully after using them.

In Canada, envelopes sold under the Hilroy brand used a corn-based adhesive when I last inquired. The trouble with the reply ones in bills and advertising is that you have no way to know and no way to find out.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

Why does anyone lick envelopes??? :o

Glue Sticks are your friend!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#4 toomuchagony

toomuchagony

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:35 PM

THANKS fer the inputs psawyer & home_based_mom :D

I appreciate your replies greatly. Though I must admit I am still fairly unclear as to "what sort of adhesive is utilized on various types of tape?", and most especially "scotch tape and duct tape". I am glad to learn that all the sealants etc I have to use around here should not pose me any problems.

As to the "envelopes" situation... perhaps I should clarify a bit for the record here... it happens that I am a "World Vision Sponsor" of a child in Dominican Republic, and it is the normal routine that they send me a "sponsorship payment envelope" to return my monthly payment within. This was the envelope I licked without even a second thought (of course I am NEW to Celiac, am still undiagnosed, and have only been learning about "gluten sources" [hidden or obvious] for a few weeks total time now, so learnt about GLUE the hard way :( Now I use a wet napkin to moisten the envelopes I must use that are NOT peel & stick!

Anyhoo, thanks again for your kind infos... I still hope someone can clarify for me about "tapes" though.

#5 bbuster

bbuster

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:09 AM

Scotch brand tape in any form (cellophane, Magic tape, box sealing tape, book tape, duct, tape, etc.) does not contain gluten.

High performance adhesives (epoxies and sealants) also do not contain gluten.
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

#6 Phyllis28

Phyllis28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:24 AM

I always use scotch tape of envelopes that are not peel and stick.
Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:41 AM

I use a glue stick (or my husband :P ) for envelopes. I don't worry about tape and don't believe I've ever had a problem with it.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

Glue Stick for me....comes in very handy at work!
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#9 toomuchagony

toomuchagony

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

OH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL :D

I am just so thrilled to learn I can stop "washing my hands obsessively" after handling my "duct tape" (which is a 2-4 times a day reality here eh ;) That will decrease my NEW "washing OCD" by at least some degree, and ultimately shall also "save me money I now spend on hand moisturizers"! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: