This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Doctor Visit Today - Answers!

Joni63

Joni63 Collaborator

Hey everyone,

I found out that I'm very low in ferritin serum and vitaimin D. My doctor said to take a multi-vitamin which I've been doing on and off (not consistently) to increase my levels. My question is:

Is a normal multi-vitamin going to help these numbers when they are extremely low??? Any advice or direction about how much of these 2 supplements I should take would be very helpful - Thanks!

I'm also adding the thyroid test results if anyone has any idea about those. All numbers are within range and seem fine to me. I don't think there are any worries with those.

My bloodwork showed the following:

Iron Serum 66, range 35 - 155

Iron Saturation 21, range 15-55

Ferriton Serum 7, range 10 - 290

Vitamin D 19, range 32-100

My thyroid panel showed:

Thyroxine 7.3, normal 4.5 - 12.0

T3 uptake, 30, range 24 - 39

Free thyroxine index 2.2, range 1.2 - 4.0

The most exciting news is that I just read that a lack of iron can cause tinnitus and restless leg syndrome. I hope it is my answer to why I'm having these problems. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lizz7711 Apprentice

I can't believe your doctor told you to take a multivitamin...I think you need a new doctor!

Vitamin D should be over 30, ideally around 55-60, and to get it up from 19 you need to take 2000 IU per day of D3 for a long time (I took mine every day for 3 months, then when the level went up to 55 I dropped down to every other day, and it went back down, so i'm still taking 2000 IU after 9 months). Your ferritin storage iron is extremely low and should be betwwen 70-90, and it takes a while to get that up. You can take up to 150-200 mg per day of a good absorbable iron like ferrous gluconate or bis-glycinate. To increase it's absorption, take with 500-1000 mg vitamin C, and do not take within several hours of calcium. Low iron also causes hair to fall out/get this (as does thyroid issues).

For thyroid, your reference for TSH is different to me so i'm not sure how to interpret it...usually the range is 0-4.5. Also, you should have a free T4 to compare with the TSH and free T3.

Liz

Hey everyone,

I found out that I'm very low in ferritin serum and vitaimin D. My doctor said to take a multi-vitamin which I've been doing on and off (not consistently) to increase my levels. My question is:

Is a normal multi-vitamin going to help these numbers when they are extremely low??? Any advice or direction about how much of these 2 supplements I should take would be very helpful - Thanks!

I'm also adding the thyroid test results if anyone has any idea about those. All numbers are within range and seem fine to me. I don't think there are any worries with those.

My bloodwork showed the following:

Iron Serum 66, range 35 - 155

Iron Saturation 21, range 15-55

Ferriton Serum 7, range 10 - 290

Vitamin D 19, range 32-100

My thyroid panel showed:

Thyroxine 7.3, normal 4.5 - 12.0

T3 uptake, 30, range 24 - 39

Free thyroxine index 2.2, range 1.2 - 4.0

The most exciting news is that I just read that a lack of iron can cause tinnitus and restless leg syndrome. I hope it is my answer to why I'm having these problems. :)

Ursa Major Collaborator

I agree that your doctor is absolutely clueless! I found that taking cod liver oil is the best and fastest way of getting your vitamin D up to where it belongs. The best brand (that doesn't taste gross, either) is the Carlson brand.

Your iron is so low that you really should get iron injections once a week until it goes up to normal, and consistently stays there. Iron supplements are very hard on the stomach, and will give you stomach cramps (and possibly constipation) if you take a lot.

Joni63 Collaborator

OMGosh! I knew it didn't sound right to take a multi only!

Ursa, thank you! I will go to the health food store today and buy some Carlsons. How long did it take for you to feel better? (even a little) I think I'm going to try the oral iron, but if I have any stomach issues or C I will go back and tell her I need injections.

Lizz7721, thank you too! I will also look for the iron you mention. I'm so glad you told me about C and not taking it with calcium. I really appreciate the information you gave me.

My TSH was listed separately on another test as 2.2. There was also a thyroid peroxidase that was 12 adn the range is 0-34 and a antithyrogobulin which was <20, range is 0-40. Maybe the thyroxine is the free T4?

I've been struggling daily with getting things done and napping a lot.

I also exercise about an hour 5x a week, except when I feel too tired and just cannot do it. Do you think it will hurt for me to continue my exercise program? I've been struggling with it, but still am able to maintain it most days?

Yes, my doctor is clueless, but unfortunately all the ones I know of locally are. The good part about her is she will test me for almost anything I ask her to. I had to ask for these tests! I'm supposed to go back in a month and get tested again. The lab messed up and didn't do all my B vitamins, so we are getting even more things tested next time. She told me to make a list and tell her what I need to be tested for next time. Magnesium/calcium are also going to be added to the list.

Thank you both again for your replies. Your helpful information is so much appreciated! :)

Lizz7711 Apprentice

You're welcome! Carlson's cod liver oil is great because you will also get DHA and EPA which are essential fatty acids. However, it will only give you 400IU vit. D so I would still supplement 1-2000IU in addition to that. I buy mine through my doctor from a company called Designs for Health...not sure if you'll be able to find anything similar at a health food store, but you could also check at a compounding pharmacy if there's one in your town, sometimes they carry supplements of more pharmaceutical grade.

For the iron, I've been taking the bis-glycinate form for several months, each capsule is 27 mg and I take up to 3 a day (could take more just don't get around to it), and i've had NO problems with constipation etc. Again, I get it from that same company and it's called "Ferrochel". I know you won't find iron at a health food store of high enough milligrams...the only thing they sell that might be worth taking is Floridix....liquid iron, but still low milligrams.

For me, I think my undiagnosed celiac disease lo these 42 years caused severe adrenal fatigue and also hypothyroidism, which also can cause low iron. Your TSH of 2.2 can be indicative of hypothyroid...most doctors consider it fine up to 3.5, but many alternative docs know that you can be hypothyroid at 2.0 or above if you have clinical symptoms (cold all the time, fatigue, depression, anemia etc). However, if you also have adrenal fatigue, it will do you no good to go on thyroid meds (also you have to have higher iron for the thyroid meds to work), since the adrenals help the thyroid meds get into the cells. There is a fantastic website on this at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com You can go there and click on adrenal info to first find out if you think you have adrenal fatigue. IF you do have adrenal fatigue, then exercising as much as you are is not a good idea as it is further stressing out your adrenals. How is your energy level after exercising? If you find yourself crashing hard after the iniital high, it might be your adrenals. If so, walking and some strength training would be better until they heal. You could ask your doctor about cortisol saliva testing for the adrenals...but I think the best saliva test is through canaryclub online, it costs about $100 I think....the website I gave you has the link. For more clarification on how to interpret the thyroid labs, you could go to this forum on yahoo...they are very experienced on thyroid/adrenal issues and could interpret more accurately than I could! Open Original Shared Link

Magnesium is a good test to get...calcium is not really helpful since your blood will always maintain a certain level...taking calcium from the bones to do so when necessary. If you haven't had a bone denstity DEXA scan that might be good to make sure the gluten hasn't caused any osteoporosis.

good luck with everything! :)

Liz

OMGosh! I knew it didn't sound right to take a multi only!

Ursa, thank you! I will go to the health food store today and buy some Carlsons. How long did it take for you to feel better? (even a little) I think I'm going to try the oral iron, but if I have any stomach issues or C I will go back and tell her I need injections.

Lizz7721, thank you too! I will also look for the iron you mention. I'm so glad you told me about C and not taking it with calcium. I really appreciate the information you gave me.

My TSH was listed separately on another test as 2.2. There was also a thyroid peroxidase that was 12 adn the range is 0-34 and a antithyrogobulin which was <20, range is 0-40. Maybe the thyroxine is the free T4?

I've been struggling daily with getting things done and napping a lot.

I also exercise about an hour 5x a week, except when I feel too tired and just cannot do it. Do you think it will hurt for me to continue my exercise program? I've been struggling with it, but still am able to maintain it most days?

Yes, my doctor is clueless, but unfortunately all the ones I know of locally are. The good part about her is she will test me for almost anything I ask her to. I had to ask for these tests! I'm supposed to go back in a month and get tested again. The lab messed up and didn't do all my B vitamins, so we are getting even more things tested next time. She told me to make a list and tell her what I need to be tested for next time. Magnesium/calcium are also going to be added to the list.

Thank you both again for your replies. Your helpful information is so much appreciated! :)

Lizz7711 Apprentice

Oh, also meant to say, your iron is so low that you really have got to make that a priority and find a good quality iron and take up to 100mg a day to get it up. Other things to help are to eat more red meat and eggs and green leafy veggies, and you can also cook in cast iron skillets. Just don't forget the vitamin C! :)

Liz

AliB Enthusiast

The lack of iron could cause tinnitus and RLS, but the RLS is probably due to the fact that iron can cause constipation. RLS is usually triggered by problems in the bowel, whether it be constipation or diarrhea - if the bowel is under duress the nerves that run down the spine by the bowel into the legs and feet are affected and trigger the RLS.

Since my digestion has settled after going gluten-free I rarely, unless something has affected my digestion, have had any more problems with RLS.

I am not sure what triggers tinnitus but that also could be linked to nerves.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confusedks Enthusiast

Your iron is low, but it needs to be interpreted by your age, height, weight, sex, etc. For ME, my ferritin should be around 100 for me to feel "good." This is what my hematologist said anyway. He also told me to take ferrous gluconate to help, but I could NOT tolerate it, and my ferritin was at zero, so I had iron IV's. No amount of oral iron would have been enough to raise my ferritin...

I think someone may have already said this, but you need Vitamin C AND Folic Acid in order to absorb iron. So, add those supplements to your regimen too! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me...I unfortunately know a lot about iron issues. :rolleyes:

sneezydiva Apprentice

I just wanted to add that Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, and if you are having trouble with fat absorbtion, then Vitamin D supplements will have trouble absorbing also. In addition to taking the supplements, you might want to periodically get some sun so yor body produces some Vitamin D. Natural sun is best. Tanning beds are skin cancer machines. And it is UVB light that triggers Vitamin D production; tanning beds are mostly UVA.

And even though the multi isn't enough, to get your levels up, it is still a good idea to take one daily IMO. You can get ones without iron, and then add a seperate iron supplement.

Joni63 Collaborator
You're welcome! Carlson's cod liver oil is great because you will also get DHA and EPA which are essential fatty acids. However, it will only give you 400IU vit. D so I would still supplement 1-2000IU in addition to that. I buy mine through my doctor from a company called Designs for Health...not sure if you'll be able to find anything similar at a health food store, but you could also check at a compounding pharmacy if there's one in your town, sometimes they carry supplements of more pharmaceutical grade.

For the iron, I've been taking the bis-glycinate form for several months, each capsule is 27 mg and I take up to 3 a day (could take more just don't get around to it), and i've had NO problems with constipation etc. Again, I get it from that same company and it's called "Ferrochel". I know you won't find iron at a health food store of high enough milligrams...the only thing they sell that might be worth taking is Floridix....liquid iron, but still low milligrams.

For me, I think my undiagnosed celiac disease lo these 42 years caused severe adrenal fatigue and also hypothyroidism, which also can cause low iron. Your TSH of 2.2 can be indicative of hypothyroid...most doctors consider it fine up to 3.5, but many alternative docs know that you can be hypothyroid at 2.0 or above if you have clinical symptoms (cold all the time, fatigue, depression, anemia etc). However, if you also have adrenal fatigue, it will do you no good to go on thyroid meds (also you have to have higher iron for the thyroid meds to work), since the adrenals help the thyroid meds get into the cells. There is a fantastic website on this at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com You can go there and click on adrenal info to first find out if you think you have adrenal fatigue. IF you do have adrenal fatigue, then exercising as much as you are is not a good idea as it is further stressing out your adrenals. How is your energy level after exercising? If you find yourself crashing hard after the iniital high, it might be your adrenals. If so, walking and some strength training would be better until they heal. You could ask your doctor about cortisol saliva testing for the adrenals...but I think the best saliva test is through canaryclub online, it costs about $100 I think....the website I gave you has the link. For more clarification on how to interpret the thyroid labs, you could go to this forum on yahoo...they are very experienced on thyroid/adrenal issues and could interpret more accurately than I could! Open Original Shared Link

Magnesium is a good test to get...calcium is not really helpful since your blood will always maintain a certain level...taking calcium from the bones to do so when necessary. If you haven't had a bone denstity DEXA scan that might be good to make sure the gluten hasn't caused any osteoporosis.

good luck with everything! :)

Liz

Oh Liz, I am not liking the liquid Carlsons or the Floravital! One tastes like liquid tin and the other feels like it sticks in my throat for an hour!

So I'll be checking around for good capsules/pills.

Stopthethyroidmadness.com is a agreat resourceful site. I honestly think the vitamins are probably my only problem right now. Once I get those raised to proper levels, I will see how I feel and go from there!

I do need a Dexa scan done. I am just diagnosed as Celiac at age 44 and they GI said I've had it forever so I want to definately get that done. I'm trying not to overwhelm my doctor though. So far she's tested for everything I've asked, but doesn't really know what to do when something is found.

I'm looking for someone knowledgeable about Celiac, but not coming up with anything locally yet. I plan on calling my insurance company today with some questions.

THanks for all your advice!

The lack of iron could cause tinnitus and RLS, but the RLS is probably due to the fact that iron can cause constipation. RLS is usually triggered by problems in the bowel, whether it be constipation or diarrhea - if the bowel is under duress the nerves that run down the spine by the bowel into the legs and feet are affected and trigger the RLS.

Since my digestion has settled after going gluten-free I rarely, unless something has affected my digestion, have had any more problems with RLS.

I am not sure what triggers tinnitus but that also could be linked to nerves.

You know, I'm not sure I have RLS. It's just that I wake up and toss and turn and need to change position. I've read that RLS is involuntary. I don't think mine is. I just feel the need to turn over.

That's interesting about the bowel and digestion causing RLS. I hadn't heard that before. Glad that settled down for you since going gluten free.

Your iron is low, but it needs to be interpreted by your age, height, weight, sex, etc. For ME, my ferritin should be around 100 for me to feel "good." This is what my hematologist said anyway. He also told me to take ferrous gluconate to help, but I could NOT tolerate it, and my ferritin was at zero, so I had iron IV's. No amount of oral iron would have been enough to raise my ferritin...

I think someone may have already said this, but you need Vitamin C AND Folic Acid in order to absorb iron. So, add those supplements to your regimen too! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me...I unfortunately know a lot about iron issues. :rolleyes:

Thank you! I will be sure and supplement with those.

I can't believe your ferritin was 0. You must have felt awful!

I just wanted to add that Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, and if you are having trouble with fat absorbtion, then Vitamin D supplements will have trouble absorbing also. In addition to taking the supplements, you might want to periodically get some sun so yor body produces some Vitamin D. Natural sun is best. Tanning beds are skin cancer machines. And it is UVB light that triggers Vitamin D production; tanning beds are mostly UVA.

And even though the multi isn't enough, to get your levels up, it is still a good idea to take one daily IMO. You can get ones without iron, and then add a seperate iron supplement.

How can I tell if I'm having trouble with fat absorbsion. I've heard it mentioned before, is there a test?

Yes, the sun! I plan on getting out in it daily when it's out. Unfortunately in the NE it's not out much and very weak when it is. I've always felt worse when the sun is gone for several days in a row.

I definately will keep up with the multi now. I've learned my lesson. I do need to get a better brand though so I'm looking around for really good quality vitamins.

Any suggestions on really good vitamins?

Thanks everyone! Your help/advice/suggestions are so greatly appreciated!

Lizz7711 Apprentice

Hi Joni,

With Carlson's, you have to get the lemon flavored one and mix it with something like yogurt. I often put it in with my smoothies, my daughter doesn't mind just drinking it off the spoon, but i have a hard time with the oil texture myself. Anyway, you can get Carlson's or NOrdic Naturals capsules, but you have to take more of them to equal the same amount of liquid.

For malabsorption, enterolab.com runs a stool test for that...I think there are other labs that do it too, i'm sure others on this forum will know.

Have you ever been to www.mercola.com? It's a website run by an MD Dr. Mercola out of Chicago and it's got tons of great info on it...about all kinds of topics. Anyway he also is selling a multivitamin I just noticed that I plan on buying for myself as it is whole food based, gluten and dairy free, and is tested by an outside third party, NSF, to guarantee that what is claimed is in it, is acctually in it. That's a really good thing to have in a multivitamin since the industry is totaly unregulated and you really have no guarantee of what's in the pills your're popping!

take care!

Liz

How can I tell if I'm having trouble with fat absorbsion. I've heard it mentioned before, is there a test?

I definately will keep up with the multi now. I've learned my lesson. I do need to get a better brand though so I'm looking around for really good quality vitamins.

Any suggestions on really good vitamins?

Bonnie51 Newbie

Whatever iron supplement you take, make sure it's gluten-free. ...some of them aren't.

If you have been eating right, your iron shouldn't be so low. Are you seeing a gastro specialist who knows alot about celiac? My husband was hospitalized and given intervenious iron and blood transfusions for iron def. last fall. The doc said it celiac is under control it shouldn't be low. They did that test with a camera in a pill that looks at the upper GI. Turns out he had lesions there that were causing blood loss. Might be somthing to think about. If you are just going to a regular gp doctor you might want to think about a specialist.

Joni63 Collaborator
Hi Joni,

With Carlson's, you have to get the lemon flavored one and mix it with something like yogurt. I often put it in with my smoothies, my daughter doesn't mind just drinking it off the spoon, but i have a hard time with the oil texture myself. Anyway, you can get Carlson's or NOrdic Naturals capsules, but you have to take more of them to equal the same amount of liquid.

take care!

Liz

Oh, great idea! I think I might do the yogurt. I went dairy free for a while, but want to challenge it anyway...so that might be a good start!

I will check out mercola.com. Thanks!

I'm looking for good USP certified supplements.

Whatever iron supplement you take, make sure it's gluten-free. ...some of them aren't.

If you have been eating right, your iron shouldn't be so low. Are you seeing a gastro specialist who knows alot about celiac? My husband was hospitalized and given intervenious iron and blood transfusions for iron def. last fall. The doc said it celiac is under control it shouldn't be low. They did that test with a camera in a pill that looks at the upper GI. Turns out he had lesions there that were causing blood loss. Might be somthing to think about. If you are just going to a regular gp doctor you might want to think about a specialist.

Thank you, I will surely check them for gluten free.

I am eating better than I have ever before. Lots of raw veggies every day, salads, along with meats and fruits. I cut out dairy, caffeine, and sugar during the past several months.

My GI and PC are clueless about Celiac. I was dx'd in August and my Celiac panel came back negative 6 mohths later. My diet is going terrific, so I don't understand why I am deficient in these things. Unless I have been all along and am just feeling it now. It's very confusing to me! Maybe I didn't have time to get the iron and D back up yet, 8 months total?

My endoscope/colonoscopy was in August and they found nothing unusual besides flattened villii.

Lizz7711 Apprentice
It's very confusing to me! Maybe I didn't have time to get the iron and D back up yet, 8 months total?

We are dairy free also, and now if I have dairy, i have terrible almost allergic reactions (tight throat etc), and headaches/joint aches...so I don't touch it myself. But you could mix the cod liver oil in a smoothie or applesauce too!

Lots of people have low vitamin D, not just celiacs...and it will take supplementing with 2000IU or more per day to get it to go up. Iron can also be low for other reasons such as thyroid issues...which can also be caused from the celiac disease...of course malabsorption doens't help. By the way, one sign of malabrosption is having stools that float (because they are fatty...the fat is not being absorbed).

have a good weekend! :)

Liz

Archived