This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Am Back

Ursa Major

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, I got back last night. The day after I arrived in Ottawa two weeks ago I got dreadfully ill with the stomach flu. My daughter said that she had never in all her life seen anybody as violently ill with the stomach flu as me. I was throwing up with accompanying severe D all night that night, and was in bed with a fever all day the next day. So, I couldn't take my granddaughter visiting that week.

The following week we were supposed to be visiting relatives in the area, but then all the kids got sick with the flu (even though none of them did more than throw up a couple of times, but they'd feel bad and have a fever for a day). So, needing a break from the chaos of a household with five little children I went visiting on my own.

I am still recovering. I have had bad stomach aches for the past two weeks since I was sick, and the D is finally getting better. I had the first solid bm today in two weeks. It felt like I'd never get better! I am still quite weak, and will be shaking with utter exhaustion from doing the smallest bit of physical work. I am getting a little disgusted with that.

I expect that I reacted so much worse to getting the stomach flu than most people because of permanent damage to my stomach and bowels from fifty years of undiagnosed celiac disease. I am seriously considering asking my doctor to send me to GI doctor for an endoscopy to see what kind of damage there is. And no, I certainly have no intentions of going back on gluten for that, I just want to know what it looks like in there now.

On the bright side, my grandchildren love seeing me, and I enjoyed them, they are very sweet. And I got to see my daughter sing in a Cantata at her church, and went to an amazing concert a cousin was singing in. She is in a university choir with a very high standard of excellence, and they sang music by Mozart with a string orchestra and several soloists. It was heavenly, I took my daughter to that, and she loved it as well. It gave her a much needed break, too.

There is still a lot of snow in Ottawa, the snow banks are just starting to get smaller. Yesterday on my way home I drove through the Algonquin Park, and most lakes are still completely frozen. I stopped a few times to take pictures of ice breaking up, and small waterfalls off the rocks by the roadside from melting snow. I was hoping to see a moose, but didn't see any animals at all, which was a little bit of a disappointment. Still, it was a pleasant drive, albeit long (five hours).

Today I slept until early afternoon, which I needed desperately, I am exhausted. I saw my chiropractor in the afternoon, which helped me feel somewhat better, my neck and back have stopped aching now.

Anyway, just thought I'd fill you guys in. Obviously, I managed to check in a few times and answer some questions while I was gone, but still missed a lot.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast

Welcome back UM,

Sorry to hear you were so ill. I too have had a couple bouts with the devil recently, and so think I can sympathize a little. We are all fellow Celiac sufferrers afterall.

best regards, lm

Ridgewalker Contributor

Ohh, Ursa that sounds miserable!!! Sounds like when I got the Norwalk virus a few years ago... I was pregnant at the time, too ugh. Lucas was a toddler and he got it too. Utterly awful!

I'm glad you did have some good times on your trip, though!

Give yourself some time to recuperate-- some of those viruses reeeeally take a toll!

jerseyangel Proficient

Welcome back, Ursa :D We missed you, too!

Ugh--sorry you got so sick, it sounds awful. Now that you're home, get as much rest as you can. :)

OBXMom Explorer

I just posted a question to you on another thread that you answered here . . . So sorry to hear about your miserable time. It does seem like an injustice, though, that people who already have to deal with celiac issues also get struck with the bugs the worst. Very unfair. I would have loved to see your ice breaking up - here in the South we haven't had any snow at all in a couple of years. Can you post a picture? (When you get your energy back, of course.)

Green12 Enthusiast

Sorry you got so sick Ursa. Hope you get rested up now that you are back :)

Cheri A Contributor

Welcome back! Sorry to hear that you were so sick for some of it, although it sounds like you were able to have some fun in there too. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Welcome Back Ursa!

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Sorry you got so sick Ursa. We had it at our house too and my husband was the one that got it very violently like you. He's not celiac but is hypothyroid. Glad you got to see grandkids though!

kevsmom Contributor

Ursa - I've been wondering how your trip was going. I'm glad you're home safe and sound.

Cindy :rolleyes:

elye Community Regular

Glad you made it to Ottawa, Ursula! So sorry to hear about that vicious bug. Take care!

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

I agree with ridgewalker it sounds like norwalk virus. I had that and I must have thrown up over 20 times even the tiniest of liquids and had D so bad that I had horrible cramping in my legs. It took weeks for me to feel really good. Our whole family had it over Christmas two years ago.

Im sorry you have been sick and Im glad your back on the mend. I would get the scope done anyways, its a good idea to get a peek around there just to make sure everythings okay.

bluejeangirl Contributor

Welcome back Ursa ..... I get worse symptoms then anyone in my family when I get the flu. It knocks me down pretty hard.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the choir music. It sounds like you really appreciate music which I find relaxing and a great stress reliever. Someday I hope to do what you've done and learn to play an instrument. <_<

Gail

Ursa Major Collaborator

Thanks everybody. I am slowly but surely getting better. It's been almost three weeks that I had the stomach flu. But I still get dreadful stomach aches, and on and off D.

I saw my naturopathic doctor last week, and I am now taking powdered pro-biotics several times a day in water. I am sure it is helping, as the D finally started letting up the day after I started those.

I talked to my daughter in Ottawa today, and she STILL has nearly a foot of snow in the lower part of her backyard! We only have some patches of snow in the shade now, but there aren't many left.

But only a two and a half hour drive south of here the tulips, daffodils and crocus are blooming, a friend just told me. Mine are coming up, but likely won't bloom for another two weeks.

My naturopath agrees that a parasite cleanse sounds like a good idea for me (I said in the Humaworm thread that I want to try it), but not until I am better. I am seeing him again in two and a half weeks.

Gail, yesterday my husband and I went to a live performance of My Fair Lady. It was fabulous! I don't know if you have ever seen the movie with Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn in the main roles? This live musical production was every bit as good, maybe even better! And these actors weren't even professionals. Henry Higgins was played by a friend's brother, who is a policeman. But theatre has been his hobby for a very long time.

Well, I need to go and practice my recorder, my teacher wants me to do my grade eight recorder exam this fall, and it won't be easy!

Archived