This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More Foods To Beware Of

jmcbride4291

jmcbride4291 Contributor

Unfortunatly since my whole family is in recovery, we are at the very sensitive stage. We ate Hungry Jack mashed potatos and all got sick. Unless it was something else like red wine vinager. I called Hungry Jack and was told there is an issue and they have been unable to get the producer to state whether or not gluten free. Lipton/Knorr told me on the lipton side will state in ingrediants but Knorr side and at the site it states basically it is in flavorings so assume its there. Just wanted to give a heads up on this. What red vinagers would anyone suggest?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

For vinegar, try plain, real apple cider vinegar made from 100% apple juice, NOT the apple cider flavored vinegar.

I keep a jug of apple cider vinegar in the pantry, a bottle on the counter, and a glass shaker top cruette of it on the counter, and I use it for salads, baking, meat marinades, counter cleaning, etc. I also have some in a spray bottle mixed with water in a 1 part vinegar to 7 parts water mixture, that I spritz on my hair after shampooing to leave it soft, untangled, and shiny. You can also just pour this on your hair as a final rinse, it makes the pH more acidic after shampooing. I have another bottle mixed up for all purpose spritzing for cleaning things.

If you are okay with apple cider vinegar, then you might try adding organic balsamic vinegars from the health food store. But change only one thing at a time so you know what is causing the problem.

happygirl Collaborator

If you are still healing, keep in mind that you may be reacting to 100% gluten free items as well, because your body hasn't healed yet and your intestines may still be damaged.

psawyer Proficient
Lipton/Knorr told me on the lipton side will state in ingrediants but Knorr side and at the site it states basically it is in flavorings so assume its there.

Lipton and Knorr are owned by Unilever. If this is true, it is a major deviation from Unilever's long-standing policy of clearly disclosing gluten in all their products.

I looked for a statement at Knorr's web site regarding gluten, but could not find one.

Open Original Shared Link

On that page it says:

***Unilever: Per a phone call to Unilever on 12/12/06, with Barbara in Consumer Relations, all gluten is declared on the ingredients label.

UNILEVER BRANDS:

*Ben & Jerry's

*Bertolli

*Breyers

*Country Crock

*Hellmann's

*Knorr

*Lawry's

*Lipton

*Popsicle

*Promise

*Skippy

*Slim-Fast

*Snuggle

*Wishbone

Can you provide the source for your information. Sometimes call center operators read the wrong script if they misunderstand the question, but a statement on a web site should be accurate.

sneezydiva Apprentice
For vinegar, try plain, real apple cider vinegar made from 100% apple juice, NOT the apple cider flavored vinegar.

I keep a jug of apple cider vinegar in the pantry, a bottle on the counter, and a glass shaker top cruette of it on the counter, and I use it for salads, baking, meat marinades, counter cleaning, etc. I also have some in a spray bottle mixed with water in a 1 part vinegar to 7 parts water mixture, that I spritz on my hair after shampooing to leave it soft, untangled, and shiny. You can also just pour this on your hair as a final rinse, it makes the pH more acidic after shampooing. I have another bottle mixed up for all purpose spritzing for cleaning things.

If you are okay with apple cider vinegar, then you might try adding organic balsamic vinegars from the health food store. But change only one thing at a time so you know what is causing the problem.

I agree real apple cider vinegar is a good, safe gluten free choice, but shouldn't real red wine vinegar also be safe? Isn't is just fermented red wine and water? Am I missing something?

larry mac Enthusiast
Unfortunatly since my whole family is in recovery, we are at the very sensitive stage. We ate Hungry Jack mashed potatos and all got sick. ...

Your whole family has Celiac Disease? Very unusual. How were you diagnosed?

best regards, lm

psawyer Proficient

I received a personal message from jmcbride4291, and have found the statement on the Knorr FAQ page that he refers to.

It says (in part):

Common Allergens: Since product formulations change from time to time, we do not have a printed list of products that identifies those products that contain specific allergens or gluten. The best advice we can give you is to check the ingredient list on the label. Ingredients that may contain any of the top eight allergens as defined by FDA: peanuts, tree nuts, soy, fish, seafood, wheat, eggs, and milk or dairy, as well as any ingredient that may contain gluten are always listed on the label.

The emphasis on gluten is my own, but it definitely says that gluten will still be clearly listed on the label. There has been some confusion, but there is no change to the labeling policy at Knorr/Unilever. Yippee! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ridgewalker Contributor

best regards, lm

I don't think this is as unusual as is commonly thought.

My mother was officially diagnosed (blood test, biopsy, and genetically.) Both of my sons and myself were home diagnosed, but with no doubts and with the agreement of our family doctor.

I also believe my only sibling has it, but he refuses to be tested or try the diet.

I loooove the Knorr vegetable dip mix in a spinach dip recipe. Glad to hear that they are a company that has upfront labeling.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

best regards, lm

I really don't think that is all that unusual. My entire family is celiac also and my children have different natural fathers but both show up in blood work. My DD's positive blood and endo prompted my DH to get tested and he was positive also. Lack of proper diagnosis is what makes folks think that a entire family of celiacs is unusual. Many don't link 'grandpa's' GI cancer, 'grandma's' diabetes and nerve issues, 'Sally's' failure to concieve and migraines, 'Junior's' short stature and moodiness, etc to the one person in the family who was lucky enough to get diagnosed.

cyberprof Enthusiast
Lack of proper diagnosis is what makes folks think that a entire family of celiacs is unusual. Many don't link 'grandpa's' GI cancer, 'grandma's' diabetes and nerve issues, 'Sally's' failure to concieve and migraines, 'Junior's' short stature and moodiness, etc to the one person in the family who was lucky enough to get diagnosed.

Ha Ha - you just described our family, except for the migranes and failure to concieve. Stomach cancer, check. Diabetes, check. Short stature, check. "Moodiness" (otherwise known as depression), check.

I'm so curious to get my genes checked because I have a bet with myself that I have two celiac genes. We'll see.

~Laura

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Ha Ha - you just described our family, except for the migranes and failure to concieve. Stomach cancer, check. Diabetes, check. Short stature, check. "Moodiness" (otherwise known as depression), check.

I'm so curious to get my genes checked because I have a bet with myself that I have two celiac genes. We'll see.

~Laura

Be sure to check my signature, I don't have 'celiac' genes. I was astounded. My gene would be considered a 'gluten intolerance' gene. I got my test done 5 years after diagnosis when my DD told me she had her genes tested and the doc said her previous diagnosis must have been false because she doesn't have one of the 2 recognized celiac genes. Anyway, gene testing can open up some fasinating findings but is not the be all and end all. They have recently identified 7 more genes, so perhaps my genes are in that group but I haven't checked. I found lots of very interesting stuff when I 'googled' my genes after I had them done.

cyberprof Enthusiast
Be sure to check my signature, I don't have 'celiac' genes. I was astounded. My gene would be considered a 'gluten intolerance' gene. I got my test done 5 years after diagnosis when my DD told me she had her genes tested and the doc said her previous diagnosis must have been false because she doesn't have one of the 2 recognized celiac genes. Anyway, gene testing can open up some fasinating findings but is not the be all and end all. They have recently identified 7 more genes, so perhaps my genes are in that group but I haven't checked. I found lots of very interesting stuff when I 'googled' my genes after I had them done.

I guess I didn't convey my thoughts well, but what I meant was that I'm sure most of my family have gluten intolerance, at the least. I know that I either have DQ2 or DQ1 based on my son's results. However, I think each of my parents are at the least gluten intolerant and at least 3 of my 4 siblings are too. But you're right, you can be celiac and/or gluten intolerant without one of the currently "recognized" genes.

~Laura

jmcbride4291 Contributor

best regards, lm

How I was the GI suggested saw the inestinal inflammation and I could not walk,go to the bathroom hardly or very painfully, the more gluten I ate the sicker, my childood hood had all the hall marks. Theres more but you get the picture. On the spouses side the grandmother had symptoms and died of pancreatic cancer. The mother, forgetful, orthopedic issues, night blindness, fibre myalsia, asthma, diabetis, blood pressure, weight prob's, etc, my spouse almost the same including teeth enamel issues, her sister colitis, thyroid, circulatory, psycological, etc, her offspring, cannot get preg, orthopedic, social, learning dis, weight prob's, etc, my children, learning, social, hair loss, some weight issues, asthma, behavioral, blood tests reveal immune system off the charts as with mine. Per their Ped, infectious disease doc, all agree. Plus gluten-free diet has yielded remarkable results. And when purposely reintroduced immediate down slide. Does this suffice your curiosity? Also my mother had thyroid, epilepsy, died of pancreatic and stomach cancer. Her mom RA, thyroid, sick all the time, etc. Maybe not so far fetched don't you think!

jmcbride4291 Contributor
Unfortunatly since my whole family is in recovery, we are at the very sensitive stage. We ate Hungry Jack mashed potatos and all got sick. Unless it was something else like red wine vinager. I called Hungry Jack and was told there is an issue and they have been unable to get the producer to state whether or not gluten free. Lipton/Knorr told me on the lipton side will state in ingrediants but Knorr side and at the site it states basically it is in flavorings so assume its there. Just wanted to give a heads up on this. What red vinagers would anyone suggest?

I recently contacted Lipton again and this time got a different story. At the Knorr site they state in the FAQ that they will list next to ingredients if a allergen was used. eg Natural Flavoring, ( Wheat ). Sorry for the mix up but was told different. Perhaps I spoke to a mis-informed rep. As far as vinager there is contradicting info. out there. I know that the distilled process removes the gluten protein and so far most red wine vinagers are safe. However some of the more flavored vinagers and dressings can contain gluten. I hope I did not cause any problems for anyone. If I did, I am truly sorry!

larry mac Enthusiast
....Does this suffice your curiosity? ..... Maybe not so far fetched don't you think!....

Yes it certainly does. I had no idea there were such families. Sorry.

best regards, lm

Archived