Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Swollen Salivary Gland? Anyone Have?

4 posts in this topic

For about 3 months now I have noticed that I have this swollen gland in my neck. Saw the ENT today and he thinks it is a swollen salivary gland. He mentioned Sjogren's disease as a possibility but I don't have ANY of the other symptoms. Interestingly I have been getting gluten accidentally for several months and have now discovered the source and eliminated it. I'm wondering if this swollen salivary gland is an inflamation due to the gluten. Any thoughts? Has anyone else had this as a symptom and had it go away on its own? My ENT wants to do a CAT scan to gather more info. on it and make sure there aren't any lymph nodes involved with it. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Ads by Google:
For about 3 months now I have noticed that I have this swollen gland in my neck. Saw the ENT today and he thinks it is a swollen salivary gland. He mentioned Sjogren's disease as a possibility but I don't have ANY of the other symptoms. Interestingly I have been getting gluten accidentally for several months and have now discovered the source and eliminated it. I'm wondering if this swollen salivary gland is an inflamation due to the gluten. Any thoughts? Has anyone else had this as a symptom and had it go away on its own? My ENT wants to do a CAT scan to gather more info. on it and make sure there aren't any lymph nodes involved with it. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

You may still have Sjogren's even though you do not have the other symptoms, such as dry eye and mouth. My niece used to swell up like the Hindenburg on one side of her face and none of the doctor's she saw had a clue. She had no other symptoms. Then, I was diagnosed with Celiac and I knew I had Sjogren's because I had terribly dry eyes and mouth. I asked to be tested and it was positive.

I told my sister, mother of my niece, about my diagnosis and told her that her daughter had Sjogren's....I was positive she did. Sure enough, she tested positive also. She is a young girl, 22 years old, and I have noticed that the younger people tend to not have as much problems with eye and mouth symptoms in the beginning. As you age, things become drier anyway and that's when I stated to exhibit more pronounced symptoms. Sjogren's behaves very much like Celiac, symptoms vary wildly and to degree's of discomfort.

Another tell tale sign is dental problems so if you have that, it might very well be Sjogren's. Have the blood test for antibodies done. They are called SS-A and SS-B. If elevated, you have Sjogren's.

Have the blood test for antibodies done. They are called SS-A and SS-B. If elevated, you have Sjogren's.

Thanks Gemini for this information. My ENT is reccomending a CAT scan with and without contrast dye for this Monday. I'm wondering if I should still do that or if having the blood work done first would be less invasive? He did mention doing bloodwork after the CAT scan. Is there a cure for Sjogren's disease? Is it dangerous our just annoying? Thanks!

Thanks Gemini for this information. My ENT is reccomending a CAT scan with and without contrast dye for this Monday. I'm wondering if I should still do that or if having the blood work done first would be less invasive? He did mention doing bloodwork after the CAT scan. Is there a cure for Sjogren's disease? Is it dangerous our just annoying? Thanks!

Keeping in mind the ultimate decisions have to be yours, I always opt to start with the least invasive testing. Doctor's always start looking for the worst case scenario, which can cause discomfort and worry to the patient. Blood testing is so simple, I would start there. CAT scans, with use of dyes, can cause allergic reactions. My family are prone to that.

Sjogren's has no cure but can be minimized a bit with a strict gluten-free diet. There are varying degrees of discomfort....mine are more of a pain than debilitating but I worry they will get worse with age. My eyes are not too good and I may have to start taking more aggressive measures to help with that. Not looking forward to some of the suggestions, either! :( I wouldn't classify it as dangerous but you can have some pretty serious side effects to the dryness problems, like dental problems, vision problems, infections, etc. I manage mine OK but the remark last time from the doctor was that I had become used to the level of dryness I am experiencing.....you compensate. They think I should be more aggressive and I'm sure they are right but it all gets annoying and serves as a reminder that aging is not fun!

It is important to manage Sjogren's properly, such as going to the dentist more often for cleanings.....I go 4X per year. Also, use lubricating eye drops and if need be, a Rx drop for dryness. Ohterwise, you can be very uncomfortable. Funny enough, I have never had any swelling from Sjogren's ever, just the dryness problem and dental issues. So, maybe that will be what you experience from it......not as much dry but more inflammation issues.

Drink plenty of water also as that really helps.

Now ask for the blood work and wait to see what that says. Good luck and keep us informed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Anyone experience brain fog like this?
      Brain fog is a common symptom.  I had a hamburger patty from a local restaurant and am suffering the effects.  Sometimes mine is bad and sometimes it is mild.  This one feels mild, provided I am not "glutened" again.  I have the exact same feelings when I am contaminated.  I actually had 2 good days this week to ony have to go back through this again.  The first day is just tired and want to sleep, but as each day goes on it seems like all I can do to concentrate and do anything.  TV is OK but for me just standing up or moving sometimes makes me dizzy.  Luckily I don't have the nausea but even sitting still I feel like I am in a swimming pool moving.  You know kind of like when you were a kid and you got in the pool or went roller skating but then got out and and you still felt like you in the pool or skating?  The anxiety and the depression is the worst.  I am taking things to help with it but it doesn't always help.  Only thing that seems to help sometimes is just going in to my room and laying there and not moving and just going to sleep.   It will pass.  Just be cautious about everything.  I have opted to let my family know that I will bring my OWN food when we have gatherings.  I don't mind being the odd man out because I am already the odd ball.  One thing I have learned and that is people mean well but mistakes happen and we are the ones who have to pay the price.   Hope you feel better soon.
    • gluten intolerance, dairy intolerance and fructose
      Look into The Paleo Approach by Sara Ballentyne, PhD.  Great resource and will probably answer your questions.  I have the same problem. You have to really read labels.  The only coconut milk I can use is an organic canned one.  Others have too many ingredients that are problematic.  For now, stay with meat and vegetables as someone else has recommended.  If rice works for you, great.  If not, winter squash is good.  The diet change is overwhelming at first but then it starts to make sense.  The one good thing about an intolerance versus allergy is the possibility of someday being able to add it back into your diet once your gut has healed.
    • Anyone experience brain fog like this?
      I went gluten free about a month ago, and was finally feeling *great* last week when wham -- my well-meaning Dad cooked me dinner and forgot to check the ingredients on the fish sauce he used. The upside of being glutened for the first time is that, after a couple weeks of feeling good, I feel like I can discern the symptoms a lot better now. I've noticed that the worst part, aside from the nausea, is the "brain fog," but I'm curious if my experience of brain fog is the same as or similar to what other people are feeling. For me, it becomes almost physically painful to concentrate on anything. If I try to read a book, or watch a TV show, it makes me feel dizzy, overwhelmed, and nauseous. For a couple days, I feel like all I can do is try to stay still and do as little as possible while I wait it out. It feels similar to anxiety, but not quite the same, and none of the usual tricks for getting through a panic attack help. Do any of you experience brain fog in a similar way? Where it basically makes you feel sick to try and concentrate on anything, even fun and relaxing things?
    • gluten intolerance, dairy intolerance and fructose
      I've never gone fructose free so can't help much with that.  But any fruit is probably a problem.  If you are serious about avoiding fructose you could do a search and print out a list of foods to avoid. http://www.mayoclinic.org/fructose-intolerance/expert-answers/faq-20058097 Yes, it very possible to have multiple food intolerance issues.  Many people have multiple food intolerances.  It might help to avoid any foods that are sweet for now.  Meat and most veggies are probably the way to go.  You may want to get some jerky to eat for snacks.  Peanuts might be ok but you'll need to verify that.  Boiled eggs are probably ok.  Most soda would be a no-no.      
    • Help
      Hi Courtney, You asked about dairy, and RMJ got it right.  Celiac disease destroys the villi lining of the small intestine.  Those villi make the lactase enzyme we need to digest dairy. Sigmoid colon thickening could be related to diverticulitis.  Which according to Wiki is a fairly common condition but doesn't always cause symptoms.  Diverticulitis can cause a problem if there is an infection though.  The sigmoid colon is part of the large intestine.  Celiac disease affects the small intestine, so celiac isn't likely involved.  I am not sure why the resident suggested celiac, unless there were some other reason to do so.  Possibly the weight loss, which could be explained by celiac disease.  Thickening of the colon may happen with Crohn's disease also.  And I'm not sure about UCD (ulcerative colitis disease) but it might cause that also, not sure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulosis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmoid_colon http://biology-pages.info/G/GITract.html#pancreas http://www.ccfa.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-ulcerative-colitis/
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Mamalarge