arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Dark Circles Under Eyes And celiac disease?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 motif

motif

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:22 PM

As long a s I remember I had some dark circles under my eyes and "bags",
but since I got worse and got that other symptoms like tingling, stomach pain etc
it looks to me those circles got worse under my eyes, more blue, sometime swelling especially in the morning.
Anybody had that effect because of celiac disease?
thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 wowzer

wowzer

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:29 AM

That was a symptom I probably had all of my life. It went away shortly after I went gluten free. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it or not.

#3 motif

motif

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

it went away completely? great! It would be nice not to scare people with my eyes.
thanks

#4 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:57 AM

My oldest granddaughter had dark circles under her eyes all her life until the age of seven (she is almost eight now), at which point my daughter put her on the gluten-free diet. Her dark circles have been gone ever since (they took less than a week to disappear).
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 Guest_digmom1014_*

Guest_digmom1014_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:07 AM

I think it depends on the person-mine are better but still visable, I have only been gluten-free for 3 months.

#6 fedora

fedora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:15 AM

I was told at the doctor's office that dark circles under the eyes are a sign of allergies. My daughter has them, I have them, and my husband. I have gluten and casein intolerance. My hubby is lactose inolerance, pecan and walnut allergy, and maybe more. My daughter I believe is also gluten intolerant. I am awaiting enterolab results on her because she needs proof.
gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994
wheat free or wheat light- 2003
gluten free- January 2008

#7 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:38 AM

I always thought it was a sign of iron deficiency. Mine get worse around "that time of the month", especially if I'm not taking my vitamins.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#8 chb

chb

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:26 PM

I've just always heard they were hereditary. Some people have them and some don't.

Can't wait to finish with all of my testing and see if mine go away. (Or at least get better.) That would be an awesome side bonus.
Christine

gluten-free since April 2008
Dairy Free June 2008

Blood tests normal except elevated anigliadin IgA

Endoscope negative

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 45 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 84 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 283 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 26 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

#9 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:27 AM

Mine went away when I went gluten free. My daughter and I get them back when we have had a an accidental glutening.
Michigan

#10 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:47 AM

I had also heard they were a sign of allergies, and mine have not (yet) gone away. Hmmmmm. :ph34r:
Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#11 gfjayhawk

gfjayhawk

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:45 AM

I've also heard they're a sign of allergies. Mine have gotten less noticeable since going gluten-free, but they haven't completely gone away.

#12 motif

motif

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:21 AM

I was always told that something with kidneys when you have eyes like that, I hope not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: