Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gf Breads, Why Do They Bother Me?

5 posts in this topic

:(

gluten-free breads seem to bother me if I eat them at breakfast or lunch, not so much at dinner. I've been trying two commercially prepared ones from Trader Joe's, and a bread mix (Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Bread Mix) from Whole Foods. They aren't very high fiber content, but all three contain guar gum which I've heard can be a problem. Anyone have any advice/comments? Cornbread seems to bother too.

Have a copy of The Gluten-Free Gourmet, Cooks Fast And Healthy, by Bette Hagman; soon as I get some tapioca flour (have others) I'm going to take a whack at baking again (1st try at bread came out like a brick, 2nd time looked good but I missed the part about "don't cut until cool" and it sank when I cut it warm, my first batch of cookies ever were fair). Relates to milk.

Another gray area is dairy/milk - I'm switching from lactose free to soy to see if it helps, avoiding cheese. If the test comes back showing that I am sensitive to the ? casein, what can I use in place of milk in baking? Also doing egg protein test. Does the soy stuff work? Need milk for tapioca and other things too.

This is really discouraging; I can put up with the rest of it if I can just find something breadlike to eat. I miss sandwiches of any kind. I miss pizza (any non-dairy cheese that does not use the casein stuff?). No toast in AM. No cake in 2 1/2 mo. (found a gluten-free by Dowd and Rodgers, www.dowdandrogers.com, with no guar gum in it will try this weekend).

#1 Will sell my soul for a decent pizza

#2 Marie Antoinette didn't know what she was dealing with when she said "let

them eat cake if they don't have bread" did she?

Ads by Google:

VAGUy,

I buy a pizza crust at the Peachtree Natural Foods here in Georgia. IT comes in a big box with 2 crusts in the box.

I then take it to Little Ceasars and they cook it in their pizza oven for me. I ask them to please wash the pan first

for contamination reasons. They are very good with this and the pizza is WONDERFUL. My husband loves it. THey put what

topping I ask for. They only charge me for the topping. Good luck. Also, I emailed you because I got a message that you sent me one

on the board but I can't locate it. What forum is it in. THanks Karen

Hi VAGuy,

First, I know how hard this diagnosis is. I have been on a gluten-free diet since December of 2002.

Next, get yourself tested by a doctor or lab that specializes in Celiac. Get tested for food allergies, dairy, eggs, soy, etc.

I found a delicious pizza crust mix by gluten-free Pantry. It tastes a lot like mashed potatoes but it works for me. I do put cheese on it. Maybe once your immune system is strong, you can tolerate an occasional gluten-free pizza crust with cheese.

Have you tried a 5 day self-test for a possible allergy to guar gum?

I think that perhaps your body is having more trouble with the carbohydrates in the gluten-free bread than the guar gum.

Good Luck!!

Annie's also makes a really good gluten-free pizza with a rice crust- i think it is also dairy free. I've tried a lot of frozen ones and it is definitely the best so far. Also, if you have a Whole Foods near you, they sell frozen gluten-free pizza dough.

VA Guy,

First off, I have had problems with the gluten-free breads, too. I am not sure if it is the guar gum or the yeast. I am going to try a yeast free recipe soon, and I have switched to using xanthan gum. I'll let you know how that goes.

As for the pizza, if you end up being casein intolerant, then I can't help you with the cheese. I have not found any that don't contain soy. If you are alright with soy, then you might look in the health food store at the soy cheese. Although I've heard they don't melt like regular cheese, but if you grate it pretty fine you should be able to spread it around, and with the other toppings you may not care how well it melts!

I have found a few suitable substitutes for milk in the baking department. I use Mocha Mix (original) and I water it down 3/1. 3 parts water, 1 part mocha mix. This makes it about the same as lowfat milk, and I have not noticed much difference in flavor in the cooked items. Soy milk works about the same, but can alter the flavor of the food. Rice milk and almond milk are a lot like soy milk. You just need to try it out. Of course you don't want to spend a bunch of money on something you don't like, so if it something you like to drink, then it should be fine for cooking.

I hope you get your results back soon.

Erica,

Do you know the name of the frozen gluten-free pizza dough? I need to ask my local Whole Foods to order it, since they don't seem to carry any frozen dough. If I had the name I might have better success. Thank you.

God bless,

Mariann :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• WOW.  That looks eerily familiar.  Last December the temporary provider here at my local (rural) clinic gave me doxycycline to experiment with, but it was a mere ten milligrams.  Lol, no wonder it didn't help!  I'm glad you're feeling better.
    • I got cross contaminated some time ago & the rash came back pretty badly. I've attached a photo taken on June 11th of my back. It was also in my scalp, around my neck, on my front, shoulders, inner wrists and more.   Tonight I am not itching at all! I haven't itched all day long!!!! I can't take Dapsone because I'm allergic to sulfa drugs & Dapsone is a sulfa drug. Obviously that means I also can't take any of the other sulfa drugs that are used to treat dh after Dapsone is not an option. After those comes tetracycline. I really needed some relief! I began researching the dosage & particulars on tetracycline for dh. Extensive & exhaustive research did not pan out. The best I could find was treating Bullous phemphigoid. That said something like 500mg of tetracycline 4 times per day and about an equal amount of niacinimide. I really didn't want to take that much medication and in such strong doses. So my doctor (my PC doc) & I began experimenting. We tried Doxycycline 100mg twice a day. It seemed to be helping some but it just wasn't enough. Then we upped it to 200mg Doxycycline twice per day. It has taken about 5 days of that & I sit here not itching all day for the first time in a long, long time! This may not work for everyone. I did want to post it though as it is, at present, working for me. I am not thrilled at taking it but I have toughed this rash out before for years with no meds and I just couldn't do it again.
    • I laughed out loud at the 'little notebook' comment!😂 It has been interesting to see how much progress has actually been made over the past 10 years that there is even a notebook to be offered or a restaurant to eat in that will accommodate our 'allergy'. 10 years ago I feared that I would never eat in a restaurant again.  But the notebook comment is spot on.  Hopefully within the next 10 years restaurants will evolve enough to offer us a menu that clearly lists the delicious and extensive offerings that they have lovingly prepared just for us...and not just an ingredient list with nutritional values that take longer to read than War and Peace.   I am grateful that there are places to go that at least make the effort.  Who knows?  Eventually there may be restaurants which will have to offer menus with GLUTEN options available!
    • Thanks for posting this Adrien, it's a great list and I and others will appreciate the effort and the thought behind it. I loved my time in Malaysia and I'm glad I sampled all the food I could whilst I was still on an unrestricted diet. The good thing is that, like you say, some of the nice Malay foods are still ok. As a backpacker I survived on a lot of nasi goreng and laksa, nice to think if I return there I could still do the same Terima kasih!
    • I have posted on here before. DQ2, brother with celiac, DGP iGA was the only mildly elevated test. Was gluten-free so did 6 week challenge last winter. Negative biopsy. I am gluten-free now but do go out to eat. Prior to the challenge my health was good. Since then I have: Chest pain, pain between shoulder blades, periods of shortness of breath, heart palpitations, one instance of a heart arrythmia episode, neck is tender to touch on one side (they kept saying sinuses or TMJ which my dentist vetoed) ear ache, bowels never sink. Numbness and tingling. Blood pressure variations. Could be doing chores and feel dizzy and it might be 84/52.  not super low, but not typical for me if I'm running around the house.While other days I am mildly hypertensive. Recently lost 5 lbs in 8 days without trying. Recently electrolytes were low, alkaline phosphatese was low. Ferritin started dropping so started liquid iron 2-3 times per day 4 months ago. Primary watching that, I am not anemic but we are nowhere near iron overload either.  GI doc was a dick. Did not even know DGP replaced older tests and he was very condescending When I begged him for help recently and told me to get a second opinion which is exactly what I plan on doing.  I now have pain in my upper GI area. It is tender to touch. I had my gallbladder out in 97 along with a stone and infection in my bile duct. It hurts in this area. Pancreatic enzymes look fine, liver enzymes fine. Pancreatic ultrasound fine. I will now be doing a EUS Soon to look at bile duct, pancreas and liver.   so a typical day for me is that I might feel fine for a while and then suddenly feel like I'm going to pass out. really dizzy, numbness in odd places, like my body has been hijacked. I will typically eat a bunch of food something high protein and in about an hour or so I start to feel better. However, then my upper stomach starts to hurt in place of the passing out feeling. blood sugars are also normal. After getting the " it must be panic attacks" and condescending looks a million times my primary finally ordered an ultrasound of my sore neck and there is an abnormality in my thyroid which she says looks like possibly Hashti's. Except for one time, all my serum TSH tests were normal. We have more blood work on Monday. As I have not put on any weight and there are other symptoms that are closer to Graves.  Has anyone else had any thyroid issues that followed doing a gluten challenge?  where is your stomach pain? Do you have it above or below your belly button? Mine feels like it's in the pancreas area, like 2-3 inches above the belly button and when I push on it it's tender, but not all the time. sometimes i feel it in my back. 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ForeverYoung&GlutenFree