This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Reaction

Carriefaith

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Hey Everyone,

I am having what I think is a gluten reation but I am not sure. I think I am reacting to a salad that MAY have been contaminated. It was a bagged salad (Tanimura and Antle Garden Salad) that I had on Monday.

Anyway, I have been having severe abdominal pain since the "incident" (and I mean severe). The pain is sometimes unbearable and it seems to be worse after I eat or drink something. It feels as if someone is squeezing my stomach and intestines as hard as they can, and/or stabbing them with a knife.

Does anyone else have this problem after a gluten accident or after eating something that was contaminated with gluten?

Also, does anyone else have problems with these salads (Tanimura and Antle)?

Thanks,

-Carrie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I do feel that way when having gluten sometimes. It's awful. . .and very painful.

plantime Contributor

Yes, I get that way. I have to just lie down until the pain goes away because it feels like someone is grabbing and twisting my insides.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks for your responses!

I am still reacting and it has almost been a week! Athough it is getting better.

The pain gets really scary sometimes... I would hate to see the reation if I ate a bagel or something! :o

minibabe Contributor

If your pains dont feel like they are getting any better maybe you should contanct your GI. For me if anything lasts more then 3 or 4 days my mother wants me at the doctor to make sure that nothing else is going wrong. Hope that you feel better. Good luck! :)

lpowmacback Rookie

:) Could it possibly be that due to having celiac disease your intestines are more delicate and you have more reactions to different kinds of foods? Many people w/ celiac disease have problems with diary (lactose intolerance) as well as other foods.

I'm not sure if I have celiac disease yet, but over the last few years, I cannot have any broccoli or cabbage or I will get severe stomach cramps that evening or the following day... where years ago those foods would not cause me to have any pain at all!

Lisa

Maggie1956 Rookie
:) Could it possibly be that due to having celiac disease your intestines are more delicate and you have more reactions to different kinds of foods? Many people w/ celiac disease have problems with diary (lactose intolerance) as well as other foods.

I'm not sure if I have celiac disease yet, but over the last few years, I cannot have any broccoli or cabbage or I will get severe stomach cramps that evening or the following day... where years ago those foods would not cause me to have any pain at all!

Lisa

Yes, that's so true Lisa. I'm just discovering the same intestinal symptoms for myself.

I can't eat a lot of those' gassy' foods anymore including cabbage . :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast
For me if anything lasts more then 3 or 4 days my mother wants me at the doctor to make sure that nothing else is going wrong

My mom is the same way, except she wants me to go earlier than that! I'm going to be telling my doctor about this since it has almost been a week!

Could it possibly be that due to having celiac disease your intestines are more delicate and you have more reactions to different kinds of foods?

I've been wondering that myself. I had skin allergy testing done over a year ago, but the only foods that had a positive were wheat and yeast.

I have discovered that I am lactose intolerant. Lactose = Sick :blk:

Jeap Newbie

The pain can be sever at times and really just cause you to have to shut down for a period of several hours.

Lately though I have had just a fairly constant ache in my gut. It's not like an upset stomach, I don't really have to go to the bathroom (though I often do a couple of times a day). But the ache just will not go away.

I ate some gluten-free Taco's w/ Fritos Saturday (it is Thur night) and I think it took a toil. I do not know why. Maybe it is first spicy thing I have had or I don't know?

Anyway, I am also very tired lately. I started back to the gym. Working out with cardio stuff about 25 minutes and light weights about 20 minutes. I have been very sleepy and tired. I'm 6 mths end to being gluten-free, is this normal?

Love to hear from you guys.

JEAP

irishchick04 Newbie

I'm right now trying to get over a reaction from some sausages (I didn't think about the possibliy of a wheat filler). I normally get really sick to my stumach and feel like I want to throw up. And have to poop a lot. LOL.

I normally eat the Garden Fresh bag salads and have had really good experiences. I have found that most of the bag salads they sell at Safeway have been good.

Caryn

celiac3270 Collaborator

You can always check with your GI if it's lasted awhile, though I think that week-long symptoms are to be expected if you've been gluten-free and suddenly been contaminated. Your body reacts even more strongly after you've been gluten-free for awhile, as if it's warning you that it doesn't want the gluten :)

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I'm 6 mths end to being gluten-free, is this normal?

It can take your body a long time to heal and recover from all the gluten that you ate before going gluten free.

Everyone is different, some will feel better in several weeks and others may not feel better for several months or even up to 1 year or 2 years.

Personally, I think I am the the "1-2 year category" since I am still having troubles almost 11 months gluten free!

Archived